“Cuesta Arriba B&B is a Step Up From the Traditional Hostel”

Cuesta Arriba Hotel
Seattle, Washington
“Cuesta Arriba B&B is a Step Up From the Traditional Hostel”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We got into town late one night and where looking for a moderate priced hotel - everywhere in town was booked and when we got to Cuesta Arriba Martin and Barbara were so nice and helpful, they pointed us to their friends hotel for the night because Cuesta Arriba was full - we then made arrangements to stay at Cuesta Arriba the following 3 nights. What a good decision - we enjoyed our stay at their friends Hotel Raratonga it was a great place. When we came back to Cuesta Arriba the following day to get the room we reserved Martin was so helpful and set us up right away with surf board rentals, wax and a local instructor. We met so many cool people at Cuesta Arriba from all over the world and just hanging out at the pool was very nice, clean, and relaxing! They even have a yoga studio onsite. I can't say enough good things about Cuesta Arriba and the service they provide is excellent for the price! We had a great time at Cuesta Arriba and extended our stay here because we liked it so much. We definately will stay there again!

Room Tip: Get the private room with a bath
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank SurfGirl60878

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 1, 2011

As a frequent traveler I have come across many hostels, hotel rooms and apartments. Of this list, hostels have become my least favorite over the years as the beds were always crap, the showers were dirty, noisy roommates, small refrigerators, no swimming pool and actually this list can go on and on.

When I booked my flight to Costa Rica a friend of mine recommended me Cuesta Arriba as she had the most amazing time. Myself being a bit hesitant on the hostel-side, took the chance, trusted my friend and headed off to Cuesta Arriba.

Honestly I have never had a holiday where I have stayed in such a nice hostel and met so many amazing people. Every day has been a paradise, roommates were considerate and fun to hang out with, the yoga lessons were divine, the ocean is across the street, this hostel even has a swimming pool, the rooms were nice and broad, the shower and toilet were cleaned every day and even my bed got cleaned once every 3 days. Seriously I will be back. Additionally you have the best soda around the corner and a supermarket 200 meters away so yo can prepare your own dinner as well.

So I would not have wanted to stay anywhere else. I wanted a holiday with surf, yoga, surf, meeting nice people, enjoy the environment and have loads of fun...and I got it all.

Thanks Cuesta Arriba you will see me next year.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank AnneMarte
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Just got back from yet another trip to Santa Teresa and can't say enough about Barbara and Martin at Cuesta. The rooms are clean and spacious for a hostel accommodation, had a good sized communal kitchen, a great common room where you can enjoy yoga in the morning with a great instructor or chill watching a movie in the evenings.
I've traveled a lot and stayed many places and I would not hesitate to go straight back here on my next trip in.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank travellaur
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Just got back from our Costa Rica/Nicaragua trip and Cuesta Arriba ranked among the highlights of our trip. The owners were very helpful and took their jobs seriously. The pool area is a nice touch and a great place to relax in the shade when the mid-day sun becomes a bit too much. The previous reviewer must have stayed in the same room as us because we too had a damp smell in our room, but it wasn't really a big deal for us. Not too strong, just there, but could be ignored. I agree that hammocks in front of the rooms would be nice. But all in all this is a very good place to stay in Santa Teresa. If I ever return to the town I won't waste any time looking for anyplace else to stay as I know I will be happy at Cuesta Arriba.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My girlfriend and I spent 4 fantastic days enjoying St Teresa while staying at Cuesta Arriba – just off Santa Teresa beach. The location is perfect for surfers and for anyone who appreciates beautiful sandy beaches. On our first night we stayed in a private double room with A/C and shared bathroom, for our following three nights we stayed in a double room with a private bathroom and no A/C – during our stay (early Feb) we didn’t need the A/C at all, the rooms were perfectly comfortable without. Our rooms were clean, spacious and cool – and very nicely priced. Comfy bed.
(They also offer beds in dorm rooms – four beds to a room, I think.)
There are shared kitchen facilities at Cuesta Arriba, with coffee and toast provided for guests every morning. A Tico restaurant 30 yards up the road provides delicious and cheap food, and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from nearby.
Cuesta Arriba is run by Martin and Barbara, a truly lovely couple who helped us out with everything we needed; including advice on where to eat, providing surf equipment, booking excursions and booking travel to our next destination. They were brilliant.
One of our favourite features of Cuesta Arriba was the pool. It was somehow lovely and cool all day long, both in the water and at poolside. A welcome respite after time spent surfing.
The atmosphere when we stayed was really great. The guests we met were fun, chatty, all around decent. Everyone respected each other and the few rules in place (reasonable noise levels, quiet after 11pm, etc.).
Santa Teresa is lovely. There is no tourist trap feel, it’s just lovely.
Go to Santa Teresa if you’re in Costa Rica. Stay in Cuesta Arriba if you can.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I've been thoroughly impressed by all aspects of Cuesta Arriba. Barbara and Martin (and Helen) have been more than helpful, assisting with travel planning and all manner of bizarre requests. The hostel itself is clean, quiet, friendly and set in beautiful grounds-the swimming pool is a definate highlight. Having a guest fridge and kitchen is great for self catering and socialising with other guests. With the beach a short 2 min walk through the bush, its everything you need from quality, value accommodation.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2011

We have been to Costa Rica 4 times in the past 6 years and have spent a long time travelling round. For this trip we chose to stay the whole duration in the favourite place we found whilst travelling round - Cuesta Arriba in Santa Teresa.
The setting is beautiful and they've added a pool since our last visit which is a wonderful addition to their already gorgeous garden area. The owners are super helpful and give great advice to travellers visiting them. They provide surf lessons and yoga at the hotel and they have a massive open plan kitchen which makes it easy to meet other travellers. Free wifi and free DVD hire and other touches make all the difference in this place where the service is exceptional. It is spotlessly clean and has everything you coiuld need with a choice of private room or comfy dorm rooms.
They have howler monkeys in the trees overlooking the pool and the position of this hotel makes it the pick of accomodation in Santa Teresa (we have stayed in many other offerings before discovering this gem!) It is in the quieter end of town, and directly opposite the beach access route, leading to a stunning beach - great for surfing.
It has a supermarket really close and a great tico restaurant for great cheap seafood.
We fell in love with Cuesta Arriba and spent a whole month there at the start of this year. We would whole heartedly recommend it to everyone travelling in this area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple