Just newly wed, my wife and I, booked a week in January at Shaka Surf Camp. This was our first time to Costa Rica, and the first part of a two week honeymoon touring the country. Initially, we were looking for a quiet, less-traveled, stretch of coast line where two beginner surfers, like us, could take lessons and feel at ease. Just relax. That's exactly what we did at Shaka Surf. Each night the hosts prepared home-cooked meals for us. The dishes pulled from a mix of local/regional flavors, including fresh fish, rice, beans, plantains, coconuts and more. The cabinas were newly built, clean and comfy. I enjoyed sipping a cup of coffee from the hammock on our porch every morning, book in hand. In writing this review, I may be a bit overly nostalgic about our time spent at Shaka but it was in one word, simple. The surfing was great. I didn't catch as many rides as my wife because I was a little slow for the break, but the beach was great. On a side note, be sure to hide your sandals before heading out into the water. Many local kids scope the beach for a decent pair. I lost mine the second day. I think, like any time you travel, it's important to be flexible with your expectations. We had bugs, we had lizards, we had monkeys overhead. I mean, why wouldn't we? We're in the jungle! If you're looking for a simple, no frills, but relaxing & fun stay. I would definitely recommend staying at Shaka. My wife and I often think of our time there with the hosts and their two children. It was just what we were looking for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 5 minutes North of Mal Pais and Santa Teresa, is the highly desirable neighbourhood of "Playa Hermosa." Shaka Beach Retreat is a jungle haven offering private villas nestled amongst the tropical surroundings. A short walk leads to one of the most beautiful quiet beaches in the heart of Hermosa's "Surf Zone". Perfect for swimming, relaxing on the sand, and surfing of all levels. Join us for our popular Surf and Yoga packages to experience a true piece of paradise! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Shaka Beach Retreat Hotel Santa Teresa
- Shaka Surf Camp Hotel
- Shaka Surf Camp Santa Teresa
- Shaka Beach Retreat Costa Rica/Santa Teresa