“I keep thinking about our stay at Shaka Surf Camp”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Just newly wed, my wife and I, booked a week in January at Shaka Surf Camp. This was our first time to Costa Rica, and the first part of a two week honeymoon touring the country. Initially, we were looking for a quiet, less-traveled, stretch of coast line where two beginner surfers, like us, could take lessons and feel at ease. Just relax. That's exactly what we did at Shaka Surf. Each night the hosts prepared home-cooked meals for us. The dishes pulled from a mix of local/regional flavors, including fresh fish, rice, beans, plantains, coconuts and more. The cabinas were newly built, clean and comfy. I enjoyed sipping a cup of coffee from the hammock on our porch every morning, book in hand. In writing this review, I may be a bit overly nostalgic about our time spent at Shaka but it was in one word, simple. The surfing was great. I didn't catch as many rides as my wife because I was a little slow for the break, but the beach was great. On a side note, be sure to hide your sandals before heading out into the water. Many local kids scope the beach for a decent pair. I lost mine the second day. I think, like any time you travel, it's important to be flexible with your expectations. We had bugs, we had lizards, we had monkeys overhead. I mean, why wouldn't we? We're in the jungle! If you're looking for a simple, no frills, but relaxing & fun stay. I would definitely recommend staying at Shaka. My wife and I often think of our time there with the hosts and their two children. It was just what we were looking for.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sepe99

Reviewed September 18, 2009

I traveled to Shaka with my two children. This was our second trip to Shaka surf camp. We went in December and then again in August. My son is a disabled surfer and the owners of Shaka and a team of volunteers they provided took him on some of the rides of his life. The town is close by and we made several trips to town. We went on the zip lines in Montezuma in December and that was fun and exciting.Thank you so much for making such a remote and beautiful place accessible to my son. My daughter had the time of her life too surfing and they even tried to teach me. It was incredible!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jenniferk_9
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I stayed at Shaka Surf Camp for two weeks in August and it was an amazing trip! Frank, Chris, and Krista made me feel as though I was a part of the family. It was a beautiful place with a short enjoyable walk to secluded beaches, clean rooms, great food, and awesome people. It was my first time surfing and I am now addicted. The area is chill and not very touristy which is great for some tranquilo time.

I would recommend Shaka Surf Camp to any individual or group of people that would like to learn how to surf, brush up on their surfing skills, or just get away from the grind. I am planning another trip back to Shaka soon!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank surfingshakastyle
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Hello to all of you who are thinking of coming to Costa Rica for a fun filled life changing vacation. I came to Costa Rica to learn to surf and see first hand what the Pura Vida lifestyle is all about. Shaka Surf Camp offered everything I could of wanted and more, great surf/surf instruction, delicious food, friendly people, relaxing environment and super clean and comfortable living conditions. The local area is beautiful and offers something for everyone from yoga to some of the freshest sushi I've ever eaten, (and who cant forget about homemade pizza night we had at camp:) The entire staff is very friendly, helpful and offer that one on one help while you are submerged into a new culture. No mater if you are either attempting to learn spanish or assistance with the fine details of what it takes stand up on a surf board and ride some amazing waves. The sweet part is the beach is a 2 minute walk from camp! My trip Costa Rica also offered some very much needed tranquil time, hanging out under the Rancho in the hammock and listening to sounds of nature in the trees above:). I know have a deeper appreciation for the Pura Vida way of life and cannot wait for my first rainy day. I would like to THANK to the amazing staff at Shaka Surf Camp for being the catalyst for the trip that has changed my life forever.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank chicorecguy
Reviewed August 26, 2009

My buddy and I went down to Santa Teresa for a week of surfing. From the moment we got there, John, Christian, Christ, and Summer treated us like family. We felt so warm and welcomed. I have never before repeated the same trip, But I would definitely go back there again. More importantly, my surfing improved tremendously the time I was there. Everyone was very knowledgeable, and took the time to teach us and help us improve our surfing.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank chilichicheng
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We were making our first trip out of the USA, speaking only english, and bringing our very active wheelchair bound 6 year old in tow. None of us had ever been on a surf board before.

I have limited my travel until this time because I did not want to deal with marginal or stressful situations.

The accommodations were very comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful (which had to be difficult due to our our limited vocabulary).

The volunteers were each and every one amazing individuals that went above and beyond any expectation of assistance. My wheelchair bound son was thrilled with the outdoor access and socialization.

My daughters and son surfed...in my son's case that meant a huge amount of help from the owners and the volunteers. I do not think there is any other place that would have given him that opportunity.

Combine that with the uncrowded (often completely empty) picture perfect beach, the phenomenal plants and animals and perfect weather and you have a vacation that could not be planned because nothing could have set our expectations so high.

Thank you Shaka Surf Camp!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Zachary_Scott
Reviewed July 14, 2009

First time to Costa Rica for a (1) week surfing vacation with a couple of friends. We were down there at the beginning of the rainy season (early June). It was very quiet around the area i.e. hardly any tourists. I didn't have a lot of expectations but was pleasantly surprised for a place just over a year old. The camp is small. Maximum capacity is just over 20 people. This makes the place very friendly. You will get to know the other guests and staff. Almost feels a like a family run place. The cabins are large, clean and new with private washrooms and hammocks outside each. The food is standard local cuisine but plentiful. The place is very relaxing and chill.

This is great place for beginners to surf with the sandy bottom beach. At the time we were there, there was hardly anyone on the beach; making it feel almost private. Progressed a lot in the week. The location of the camp is not close to town. It is about a 30 minute walk. There is not a lot of contact with the outside world. The isolation of the camp makes it very relaxing. The staff is very accommodating. You ask them to pick up stuff in town, advice on where to go, take you to get stitched up, etc. The website needs to be updated.

This was a great a vacation. Shaka is great place if you want to surf and relax. This is not generally a party place. We were up early to surf and early to bed. I would recommend this as a great family resort or if you have enough people rent the whole place out.

I would recommend it to anyone who just wants to surf.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends