“Amazing Surf Adventure”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed May 2, 2009

My friend and I found out about Shaka Surf Camp when searching online for surf camps in Costa Rica. We are so glad we went with Shaka because it ended up being the most amazing vacation I've been on! The owners of the camp did an amazing job of putting my mind at ease prior to coming to the camp by answering any questions I had in a very timely manner. We decided to take the small plane from San Jose to Tambor and we really enjoyed the experience and the view from the little plane. When we arrived at the camp, the staff and owners were so nice and welcoming. The cabins we stayed in were very clean and well kept.

The beach is beautiful and just a short walk from the camp. It was a great place to learn how to surf and the surf instructors were very patient and knowledgeable! On our last day, we rented a quad for the day and drove to Montezuma to go on a canopy tour. It was quite the adventure, and I felt very safe cruising around the peninsula on the quad.

Overall, it was an amazing experience and the best trip I’ve ever been on!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kampfy

Reviewed March 31, 2009

I had a great time at Shaka Surf Camp. The staff were friendly, the cabins were very nice and clean, and it was only a short walk to the beach to surf! It's a great spot to learn how to surf as well.

Besides surfing, we went fishing one day, went out for dinner and drinks a few other nights, got massages, and could have done yoga as well.

I had a great time and would recommend Shaka to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank tinnin619
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 22, 2009

To preface this review, this was my first time traveling solo and I had only limited amount of surfing lessons on the New Jersey shore prior to arrival.

From booking the reservation and inundating Frank (a partial owner) with random questions, touching down at the local airport in Tambor and transporting me to and from the camp, the service Shaka provides is more than accommodating. The cabañas and rancho are built within the year, so accommodations have a higher end feel. Anything you could want was provided, however, remember, this is a simpler way of living, so no TV, no Internet or cell phone service at the camp.... an almost total (and for myself) a welcomed disconnect from reality. I opted for the package, so all meals were cooked by Krista, which was amazing and even customized the menu to your liking. If you wanted to go into town to experience a little nightlife, that could be had, however I refrained, since that was not the purpose of my trip. Chris' and Krista, along with there young ones Atua and Ki'ili, made me feel like apart of family for the week. Shaka, a small and intimate camp, allows for personal relationships in this small surfer retreat.

Traveling during the dry season made for beautiful weather and good beginner surf conditions. Located on North Playa Hermosa, the beach is one that seems to be undiscovered. If you're on the beach with more than 15 people, I'd consider that crowded. For the week, I received personal instruction, aside from Moi's (Chris) young son, Atua, ripping it up next to me and one session from a local Tico kid, Luis.
Beginning with Day 1 at North Playa Hermosa, which is a 3 minute walk from the camp, you stroll through lush forest surrounded by indigenous active wildlife. Chris helped correct mistakes I was making and within an hour I was standing up on the 10'2'' and grabbing rail by the end of the day. By day 3, I dropped down to a much smaller board, which we tried out by surfing at a different beach in Manzanillo. At the end of trip, I had begun on a smaller 7'0'' fun board and been taught many of the small techniques that seem to go overlooked in larger group lessons.

In the time between the sunrise and sunset sessions, I took time to explore the beach, catching up on some reading in one of the many hammocks and watching surf movies at night whilst shooting the breeze with other travelers over a couple cold ones. The one day off from surfing, I rented a quad to travel into the Montazuma rainforest for some zip lining and waterfall diving - a must. A taxi can take you to the zip line tour, which is about an hour away, however, where's the fun in that? And I would recommend remembering both your passport and wallet when venturing out that far from camp, both which I did not.

At the end of the trip, I attained my goal of becoming more comfortable with surfing and able to translate that knowledge back to my local break. My trip ended up being not only one of the most memorable I've been on, but in all likelihood the best. However, be careful, as once your back, mid-day delusions of leaving reality to travel back may haunt you.

Pura Vida.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 20, 2009

We planned on staying for only 2 days, but loved it so much we stayed for 4 and would have stayed an extra day if the cabinas weren't booked. We rented the two cabinas with a/c and had the whole place to ourselves with the owners Moi and Krist, who were very nice and helpful. It's a little drive from the town of Santa Teresa, so if you plan on going into town you'll need a car or 4-wheeler/quad. We had both and had a blast. It's in a more secluded area of town where the dust and traffic weren't nearly as bad. I prefered staying here as opposed to right in town. You can walk to the beach and surf break within 5 minutes. Very short walk. Krista will cook for you if you'd like and Carlos is always around to watch the place and help out.

5 stars, great value, the best place we've stayed in Costa.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hkyleh
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Thanks Frankie for a once in a lifetime trip. I don't think Austin wanted to leave!! Hope you enjoyed all the pictures. Actually we may be back before you know it!!!
Thanks,
Dave King

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dwking007
Reviewed January 22, 2009

This was our first time to Costa Rica. Shaka Surf Camp was great. Our cabina was clean and roomy, it fit all three of us comfortably. My son is in a wheelchair and it was completely accessible. There was a hammock on our porch, where I loved to relax and read. The rancho where we ate and hung out with everyone was always fun. I loved all the fresh fish we had at our meals. The surfing was great. If you were not a great surfer there were plenty of waves to help you get better and better. If you didn't want to surf, there were miles of beach to walk and tidepools to explore. The water was so warm, you could easily walk right into the water. We were close to ziplines, which we did and had a blast. We saw monkeys and iguanas. It was a very laid back and relaxing time. I would go to Shaka Surf Camp again and again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank memyself08
Reviewed January 22, 2009

WOW what a place!!! Warm water 83 degrees F. The SURF was off he hook,easy on the inside and pumping on the outer breaks,We were all up and surfing in no time. There were plenty of boards for all size waves,surf instruction was really a plus.
You can stay busy doing a number of things snorkeling,zip lining fishing,going into town looking for property . You could find everything and more to do. The best part was you could doing nothing at all if you pleased.Pura Vida
The food was great everything was fresh and prepared by a local Tico gal we all just loved.
The place was very clean and has Hot water showers.

The camp is such a great place to inspire and connect people to their spirits, their bodies and to nature.

This camp as a spiritual/physical therapy session.

We all have a special moment in our lives we now call Shaka that will forever bring the energy of life we can rely on.

What a trip
Planning another one ASAP.

• Stayed: December 2008