“shaka is well worth the trip”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Vancouver
“shaka is well worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2008

I was a guest at shaka surf while in playa hemosa the staff and accomadations are great not to mention the wicked beach break just minutes walk from the camp.this place is a surfers paradise the staff at the camp made me feel like family in no time . i can't wait for my next visit.

• Liked — The friendly Staff and location from the beach (surf break)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank VancouverRob_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2008

Had a great time at Shaka Surf camp. The place is brand new. The Cabinas were very comfortable / functional with plenty of storage space, good bedding and remote control A/C. The camp is a very short walk to Playa Hermosa which is a terrific surf site (and not nearly as crowded as St. Teresa). Shaka has a good intimate feel about it and the food is outstanding. Went there w/ 2 friends to learn how to surf and we had a blast. Recommend highly.

• Liked — new, clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gustavo A
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

My two teenage girls and I went to Shaka Surf Camp for spring break 2008, and we all learned to surf and loved it! The instructors made it so enjoyable and easy to learn. The inside waves are perfect for beginners. The beaches are so secluded and beautiful (right out of the movies) We really enjoyed watching the pros in the afternoon hit the big waves on the outside. It is really a place for ALL levels. The atmosphere at the camp is very comfortable and we really felt a part of this laid back Costa Rican town. The cabinas are new and clean, and the people are really wonderful. We can not wait to go back. This is a hidden treasure, definately a great place to get away from the hustle/bustle of city life.

• Liked — secluded, clean, great beaches
  • Disliked — nothing, it was all good
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Skiergirls
Carbondale, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

Just got back from a week at Shaka Surf Camp. Super chill with friendly staff. The food prepared by Gretle was amazing. Some of the best food I have had in Costa Rica. The accomodations were super clean and comfortable. I liked Shaka because it was a bit out of town and was nesttled in the lush jungle. The walk to the beach is short and the waves are uncrowded. We got at least head high surf every day we were there. Great surf vacation spot!

• Liked — Close to uncrowded surf
  • Disliked — No internet/phone service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank waverider79
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

I'm in a wheelchair and Shaka is the only surf camp I have ever been to outside of the US that has put such a high degree of detail into addressing wheelchair accessibility...Every one who works there was so attentive and helpful when it came to making sure I was having a great time!...The beach was literally in the camps back yard, the surf was fantastic and best of all, was almost completely empty! I'd highly recommend it to anyone, especially those who are in a chair and want to experience the real Costa Rica and not the tourist traps!

• Liked — The accessibility and location
  • Disliked — nothing...
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank Wheels831
LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

I spent my spring break 2008 at Shaka Surf Camp in the company of old friends and new friends in the form of the staff at Shaka. We were about the first guests at the camp, and were welcomed as family by Greg & Greta, Frank, and Chris & Co.
Away from internet and cellphones, attuned to the rhythm of the tides, eating simple, delicious food, and surfing my heart out, I sloughed off the stress of living in the US and got the quietude to listen to my body, stretch, and sweat, be salty, nap in a hammock. I got patient, kind, and expert surf instruction from the staff, and have been surfing on my own at home ever since.
Shaka provided a genuine vacation at a fair price, so that my experience and interactions there did not feel commercialized, and I had a spiritual week. I will definitely be returning.

• Liked — Simple and clean.
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank DowntownBrownLa
Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

One of my best vacations I ever had was spending time at the surf camp. I had not surfed in a long time. It was great to get back on a board again.This place gives you the opportunity to start out easy and work your way up to bigger waves.One of my favorite things to do was quad riding from beach to beach. Within 30 minutes you can be at your next destination. You can have lunch or drink a beer at the local cantina on the beach. I would recommend that you go to the beach at night to watch the sunset. The beach is not crowded at all, very peaceful place to hang out. Sometimes I would not see anyone, it was like I had my own beach. At night I would just hang out on a hammock listening to music. Now days I like to have everything set for me. I do not like it when I have to get dressed & go find place to eat. For me that is a waste of my time. I like to relax & enjoy my vacation. There at the Shaka surf camp they do all the work for you. They are the friendliest group I have ever met. I can't wait to get back down there. I know you will enjoy your trip, I did!!! Thom

Stayed April 2008
#11 of 26 in Santa Teresa
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
#6 of 26 in Santa Teresa

Been to Shaka Beach Retreat? Share your experiences!