“Can't recommend highly enough.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have been here twice and will be back next year. Second trip was to bring a group of young adults from Ireland, some of whom have disablities and were there to experience the incredible work that is done here at Shaka on one of their projects Ocean Healing Group. Not only were the OHG fantastic to work with, but all at Shaka gave their utmost to make us feel at home and make this an experience never to be forgotten. The staff went above and beyond when I had a fall outside of the property and broke my leg. If ever I was going to hurt myself again somewhere in the world, I hope to have people around me like Frank, Grant, Megan, Larry and Chris from Shaka who took extraordinary care of me in getting me to hospital. Everything about this place is great. Surf, yoga, food, accommodation and fun, lots of it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Moisey65
There are newer reviews for Shaka Beach Retreat

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I was an adaptive surfer who came in outside of OHG with my buddy and everything was smooth with no problems. The place is a real costa rican experience, beautiful country and located at the best beach in CR. Food was delicious and the AC in the room was more than efficient! The staff was terminally chill i love chris brent and jerry. Paco even snuck into our cabina for a night. Staff was helpful setting us up with atvs and jerry gave us a ride whenever we needed one. Stayed for 7 days then 8 days in jaco, wish i spent the whole time in hermosa. This place has the potential to change you for the better!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank CoryMack
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Shaka is amazing. It is located right at Playa Hermosa which is a magical beach. Chris is the best surf instructor from beginners to the most advanced in the world. Anyone can learn from him, and he's totally laid back and chill....which is the vibe at Shaka too. Food is awesome, especially Friday PIZZA NIGHT!!! mmmmmmm. The cabins are comfortable, clean and I felt pampered and in pure nature at the same time. I recommended Shaka to anyone looking for an awesome vacation with the best vibes ever! Pura Vida....Shaka!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank nestophoto
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed at Shaka for a week in November, 2013. As we got out of the van, we were greeted with smiles from people who felt like family after day one! We were so comfortable and so taken care of at Shaka, which helped to make our trip, a trip of a life time! It was nothing short of magical. My husband and daughter surfed every day and I took surf lessons for the first time and had a blast!! We can't wait to go back to Shaka! It was amazing! We were also impressed with the accessibility for our daughter to get around Shaka in her wheelchair with no problem!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SarahSBMama
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have been to the Shaka Beach resort three times now and I can't wait to go back again. I really enjoy staying at the Shaka beach resort becasue it is a very relaxing and calming place. There is nothing better than going for a surf session and than taking a nice long nap in a hammock. The food is good and you are far enough away from town so it is nice and quiet, but not to far away that going to town is hard to get there. Also having your own private cabana is awesome. They are clean and are spacious. If you are planning a trip to Costa Rica I would definitely suggest staying at the shaka beach resort. Lastly if you are looking to surf they have everything you would need along with one of the owners is an awesome instructor.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank tc23224
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I spent 5 days at Shaka 11/17 thru 11/21/13 . It was fantastic! I learned the rudiments of surfing (thanx Jerry!) and practiced fantastic yoga as well (thanx Megan!). Shaka now has it's own beautiful teak yoga studio in the jungle. The company was great with a guy from G.B., a gal from Rland, a gal from Switzerland and 2 gals from Canada, as well as many others. The food was healthy and tasty (thanx Cristella! [sp?]) and the beds were made and cabinas cleaned daily (thanx Maria!). The cabinas are beautiful and they have A.C., though I didn't really need it. The beach was virtually deserted and the water was warm. The waves were 8' high the first day I was there-but you'll learn to surf in the white water left after the big waves break -very fun for a beginner like me and if you're an experienced surfer, you'll be in heaven.The sunsets on the beach were beautiful. I couldn't be happier with my experience and highly recommend Shaka. I'll be back!! When the sun goes down at 530 PM, don't worry-if you're lucky, maybe Jerry the surf teacher will be there to humor you with his many amusing stories! Jeff Rawley, Colorado

Room Tip: all cabinas are really nice
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank jeff r
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is the only place in Costa Rica that is fully accessible for my Son to get around in his wheel chair. Shaka has it all staff, location and appearance. Monkeys swinging over your villas coconut trees and amazing Costa Rician plants and flowers.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family