“amazing tropical experience”

Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
genova
“amazing tropical experience”
Reviewed November 25, 2009

Very excellent services and warm atmosphere. Otrolado fits perfectly to the style and values of santa teresa: privacy for the guests, free sprit holiday, respect for nature both for the very well maintaned garden than for the material used for the lodges. But I really appreciate as well having some extra services such as private swimming pool, air conditioning and wifi internet free. Otrolado is a family business, we think this is the trick for a very good wellcoming and a very pleasent stay. We really recommend them for a great experience in santa teresa.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 16, 2009

I write this review with hesitation because, selfishly, I sure hope Otro Lado (1) doesn't raise their prices too much and (2) doesn't become too popular where I can't get a reservation. I'm definitely coming back here. This place is *perfect*. Our friends paid way more than us to stay in a "nicer" place down the road, but ours was a million times nicer, bigger rooms (not really rooms, they're more like apartments), great design, great food (the owners are wonderful Italians with the cutest dog!), a pool, perfect location, etc, etc. I LOVED Otro Lado and LOVED Santa Teresa! Warning...when you come back to the "real world", you'll be depressed. Santa Teresa is heaven on earth.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Charleston
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I took my two 16 year old sons on a mom/sons vacation. We LOVED Otro Lado and the lovely Italian owners and we LOVED Jared and Merieke of Lucero Surf Retreat. The town of Santa Teresa is charming, friendly, quaint and very safe. There are some exceptional restaurants - see other reviews. Otro Lado is in the perfect location. There is a short walk through a little jungle to the picture perfect beach. I don't surf, but my sons said that the waves were what they dreamed of surfing. Having Jared and Marieke to hang out with us and to be our personal guides was very reassuring to me. The food at Otro Lado is fresh and delicious. I am still dreaming of the iced coffee.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Otro Lado is awesome! My sister and I stayed here while on a "learn to surf" vacation. The hotel is adorable, like a little oasis hidden away from the dusty streets of Santa Teresa. The villas are spacious and spotless and the pool is pretty. There are multiple hammocks scattered around that are good places to relax. The owners were extremely helpful and took good care of us. We love their lunches - a really good combination of Italian dishes will Costa Rican ingredients. Try to the grilled vegetable panini or the greek salad. I wish I could eat both right now. Their focaccia is amaaaaaaazing! If you stay here walk down the street and east dinner at Brisas del Mar - awesome. Order the coconut cake. Love this place, like a mini Italy in Costa Rica!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed April 9, 2009

This is my fourth time at Otro Lado and i love it...I have been here for holidays with my boyfriend and friends and each one of them had so much fun.
Otro Lado for us became a place where we have to come back at least one time a year!!!
I am a fashion editor and one time i came here also for a photo shoot, you guys know how difficult people in the fashion industry can be????? We all had a great time and we ate a lot of very good italian food (pasta hand made).
I will suggest it for all types of people.......
M

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed August 16, 2008

I'll make this short and sweet...if you're thinking of going to Costa Rica there is no better place than the Otro Lado Lodge...trust me I've see the others! Here you'll be treated like royalty by the lovely Nico and Baggi who run the place, and who will also treat you to great meals and even greater company. The food that comes out of their fun open kitchen is truly outstanding, and you are bound to miss it once you're gone! The accommodations are new, decorated with great taste, clean, and truly beautiful, as is the pool. All are welcome at Otro Lado, from families, to couples, and everyone's treated like a friend. Plus (if she likes you) their lovely dog will walk you to the beach which is only a few steps away! Otro Lado truly is a little piece of paradise, where you can escape into the wild, while at the same time not renouncing to all the conforts of our modern ilfe.

• Liked — The accomodations were really simple and elegant, always clean and airy
  • Disliked — I truly couldn't say anything negative about the accomodation
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Queensland
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We stayed at Otro Lado for 6 weeks and it wasn't long enough. The cabinas are great - spacious, clean, beautifully done, hammocks to lounge in. It's right opposite a great surf beach, near to all Santa Teresa has to offer but still quiet and relaxing...... and the best thing... the hosts, they are great and cook the most amazing italian food!!! Will go back the first chance we get.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — We couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)