“Excellent hotel an every way”

Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here for 1 week in March for the Surf & Yoga package. The outdoor yoga studio was beautifully located in the garden, the room was bright, clean, and with it's own balcony overlooking the pool and garden. The bathroom was great as well. The whole place has very naturally been incorporated into the leafy surroundings in a way that was both simple but with attention to every detail.

The service was fantastic - I travelled on my own and felt very well taken care of. The breakfasts and lunches were delicious and the atmosphere was very relaxed while the service was always attentive and swift.

I can highly recommend this place to anyone travelling to Santa Teresa!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We didn't really get to spend much time here - just needed a place for our last night in Santa Teresa and were lucky to get a 2br loft. I really liked the smooth cement floors and sliding bamboo doors. My son (10) wasn't quite as enchanted with the open shower concept (he worried about bugs getting in), but I really enjoyed the zen simplicity of Otro Lado. The shelf of second hand books, fresh flowers and the Buddha statues throughout the property were also nice touches.

The resort is very compact, which made the whole place very cozy and intimate. While centrally located and walking distance to several markets, surf shops and restaurants, it was set back off the dusty road as well, which added to the feeling of a little oasis. Our front door was just steps to the pool, which I always find helpful with kids. We all enjoyed an awesome swim under the stars and then sat and ate take-out (the kids loved Chicken Joe's) in our swimsuits at our little outdoor dining area.

The common areas are quite nice. I would have liked to have taken a yoga class or two, but we were off to catch a boat early the next morning. The staff was kind enough, however, to get breakfast going a little early so that we could enjoy some beautiful crepes and croissants before we headed out.

A few things to be aware of: the spiral steps to the loft bedroom, while really cool, are not particularly safe for kids. My daughter almost slipped through them. Also, it's close enough to the road to hear some cars and people at night. I would imagine this is not a big deal most of the time - we were there the Saturday before Easter, their busiest time, and it wasn't bad.

Cute place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann R
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We walked into the dining room of Otro Lado, and immediately swooned over the smell of homemade pasta. Salvaggia showed us to our two-story lodge, and we were in love. The place is immaculate, simple, and smells lovely. The beds are very comfortable, and we loved the fact that the shower downstairs is an "outdoor" shower. The landscaping is perfect and gives each person a feeling of total privacy. We were in the pool every day, and usually had it to ourselves. The food is wonderful, the people here are warm and kind, rooms are immaculate, and I'm picky! I can't believe the fantastic price on such a wonderful place. There is beach entry right across the street and many amazing restaurants within walking distance. We have never slept so well or relaxed so much on vacation. We will be back!

Room Tip: Everything feels very private because of the excellent landscaping. We had two hammocks and were ri...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We just had a lovely stay here. The poolside room was awesome, the grounds are immaculate, and we felt like we were living in the lap of luxury. Most amazing of all was the foo (breakfast and lunch only). The pasta was simply incredible. Homemade gnocchi like fluffy clouds, succulent ravioli, and each sauce was the platoon ideal of itself. Really authentic Italian flavors. Yum!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I recently had a fantastic six-day stay at Otro Lado Lodge.

The hotel is located close to the beach, multiple excellent restaurants, and a supermarket.

My hotel room was attractive and clean. My bed was comfortable, and I slept well every night. The photos on the hotel's website are accurate. The selection of books in my room (both fiction and non fiction) was a charming touch -- I settled on a book about dreaming to read during my stay.

The hotel's courtyard is lushly adorned with plants and trees, and was a pleasant contrast to the dusty main road of Santa Teresa. I appreciated Otro Lado Lodge's environmentally friendly stance.

Otro Lado has its own restaurant. Their included breakfast is excellent. Service for breakfast starts at 07:30, but they were glad to package up a croissant for me the night prior to one of my early-morning expeditions. I also enjoyed two great lunches, and did quite a bit of reading while sipping coffee under the Costa Rican sun at the restaurant.

Selvaggia, Nico, and their team's friendly and helpful attitude made my stay very enjoyable.

I strongly recommend Otro Lado Lodge, and would be delighted to stay at this hotel during my next trip to Santa Teresa!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jtambot
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here as a couple for a few days. Booking online was simple. We had one of the apartments so the little kitchen and two bathrooms were great. Lots of space, well decorated, comfortable and clean. We had one or two meals at the hotel and they were fine, (breakfast was included). Many good restaurants though in Santa Teresa. Biggest issue is that the town itself is very dusty, not much to do outside of beach activities and it's also really expensive for being such a grungy little place. Thus, the hotel was a nice oasis. Pool area is nice but limited room for lounge chairs and the lounge beds they have could use a more frequent cleaning as the fabric smelled like dirty diapers/mold. Only other real complaint is I found the spiral staircase in the room really precarious, felt like I was going to fall going up or down and they could put a handrail in. Also could use better window coverings in the bedroom for a darker room for sleeping. Nice property but I wouldn't go back to the town-too bad it's not in a better town.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mistylime
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We spent a weekend there and we enjoy every minute. The first thing we felt was peace, people there was amazingly friendly... The food was very good!!! We actually liked the fact that the owners were italian. The pool was perfect not too cold,not too warm!! At night it was actually warmer ! :) the beach was very close !!! Our room had 2 beds everything was super clean...

• Stayed: March 2013