“Pura Vida”

Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at Otro Lado.
The trip was booked for us by a third party, as we were contest winners and had no knowledge of where we would end up. The room was excellent as was the service and people. We had the most amazing time and want to go back to the same spot. The food, surfing, yoga, massages, beach, pool and other activities we participated in were unforgettable. The people here are as warm as the weather, both of us highly recommend this location, for fun, relaxation and enjoyment. Special thanks to Nathan Clarke for incredible massages, Francesca for the yoga classes and Mark for the surfing lessons.
To us, Otro Lado is the true meaning of 'Pura Vida' (Pure Life).
Thanks!

1  Thank Lawrence R

Reviewed February 20, 2013

There are a lot of options for lodging in Santa Teresa and one of the reasons I chose Otro Lado--in addiion to the amentities, great pix, and reasonable prices--was that they responded to every review on here, which I thought meant that they care about their guests and their business. I was right. The service was fantastic, the rooms were clean, well-equipped, and had nice furnishings, and each "lodge" had a great outdoor area with hammocks and chairs/a table, great for wine and cheese at night. The pool was well-kept and had comfy chaise lounges, the restaurant was comfortable and had good food, and the grounds were impeccably landscaped with greenery and beautiful flowers which produced an amazing aroma. If you are a family with kids, or friends who want a place with full kitchen, a lodge is a good option, with two twin day beds downstairs and a bathroom, and a double bed with bathroom (and great balcony) upstairs. Though note that there is not much privacy between the upstairs and downstairs beds. For the price (which includes daily breakfast) and the excellent location across the street from the beach, as well as close to the super market and good restaurants, it's a fab option. You won't regret it if you stay at Otro Lado!

Room Tip: A lodge is great for a family or a couple.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I recently spent three nights at the Otro Lado on our trip to Costa Rica. The room/bed was comfortable and clean. The only thing that would have made it better was a coffee pot. That being said, when I teased to the owner that I was an early riser and would be happy to make the coffee prior to the 7:30 breakfast time, she made a point of having coffee ready for me when I was up and about. Each room has a private nook surrounded by vegetation, or a balcony. The beach is right across the road, the pool lovely, there were different choices for breakfast. When I inquired about a place to rent snorkel equipment, the owner produced snorkels for us to borrow and told us where/when the best snorkeling was. Santa Teresa/Mal Pais were not our favorite spots in Costa Rica, but Otro Lado is a good choice if that is your destination. I guess the only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is in the mornings there was loud LONG chanting carrying through the grounds. Now I'm a yoga practitioner/meditator and for the first half hour was fine, but it really started to get on my nerves. Had to hustle my husband so we could get going on our outting for the day. I know that sounds intolerant but seriously made it impossible for me to sit outside.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I just returned from a weeks surfing vacation to Santa Teresa. I stayed at the Otro Lado Lodge with my 14 year old son. The lodge is like a small retreat from Santa Teresa. Inside it is green, lush, clean, and the pool refreshing. Our room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was fresh and delicious. The coffe was especially good. This time of year the dust from the main road is a problem and the Otro Lado is set back far enough from the road, that that the dust was forgotten. My son made friends with the 3 cats and Hata the dog. Nico gave us great advice on where to eat and what to do when we were not surfing. The lodge is located near a public access to the beach so it is a five minute walk to the ocean and the best located hotel for surfing Santa Teresa. We had a terrific week together in Sanat Teresa and look forward to staying at the Otro Lado Lodge, with the entire family, on our next surfing vacation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2013

After a long road to get tho Santa Theresa, the Otro Lado Lodge is a little oasis. Alot of green and lush vegetation, the rooms are simple but spacious. The rooms are hidden from outside viewers through vegetation. The beach is just separated from the hotel by a road..
They say they have a restaurant, but when we were there it was only opened till 19.00. Luckily there are plenty of restaurants around... Very nice stay to relax.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan K
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks staying at otro lado. I cant Believe its only 3 stars should be 5!!! I have stayed in higher rated hotels in Santa Teresa before and they are not a patch on OTro lado!! The rooms are specious and clean with comfy beds, all set around a beautiful tropical garden. It's so peaceful.
The food is delicious!!!! Staff all very friendly and helpful. I had the best time here and I can't recommend this place enough!!! It's an absolute bargain, and I would recommend it to everyone, couples, families and people traveling alone. I had the best time and can't wait to return.
Thank you NIco, Baggi and Isabella and to the wonderful chef!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is a great place to stay. The only way I'd like this place more is if it were on the beach. Absolutely beautiful grounds, large clean rooms, excellent showers, good food, I could go on and on. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple