“What a gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Chicago, Illinois
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is a beautiful place to spend your vacation days while in Santa Teresa. The accommodations were excellent (very comfortable bed, large room and bathroom, balcony); the food was phenomenal; and the customer service was great! The owners are very hospitable and treat you like family. They were both extremely helpful in their recommendations of places to eat, things to do, etc. They alone made my trip that much more memorable and I can't wait to go back. With restaurants and the beach all in walking distance, this place is an absolute gem! Don't look any further!

Thanks Nico and Baggi for being amazing hosts-- I'm missing Santa Teresa already!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Im not the type of person to right a review as its not my thing but i felt so taken back by this place i felt i would .I recently stayed at otro lado for 2 weeks and i can honestly say it was the best place i have ever stayed . firstly the rooms excellent decor and cleaned every day to a very high standard and im very messy !! . what struck me was the attention to detail in every aspect of the resort it is wonderfully designed and there is not a palm leaf out of place!! its lush as is the food i could advise what to try just but TRY everything its excellent real fresh really good food. do try the coffee I drank a lot its fantastic !! but what really makes this lodge is the people nico,baggi and slyvie ( i apologise if my spelling isnt great ) its them and all the staff at otro lado made me feel so welcome the made you feel like you were the most important guests, nothing and i mean nothing was to much trouble. they were really great when i left i was very sad i felt like i had been staying with family rather than a hotel it was very stange. i was truly touched buy this and would like to once again pass on my personal thanks to everyone at the lodge for a REALLY wonderful trip i know amanda my partner will right a review and im guessing with a little more poetic flare than mine!! and im sure it will shadow my feelings thanks again for everything from dave

so to anyone looking to stay in santa teresa you should stay here you would be mad not to !! ........oh yeah the surfs banging !!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My friend and I came to Santa Teresa for a surf trip feb 2012. We are both in our late 20's. We booked this place based on the reviews. After driving down the dusty road into town I could only imagine what our place would be like. I was pleasantly surprised!! The lodge is back off of the dusty noisy road and is very clean. Everything is so green compared to the main road. The rooms were nice and maid service was very attentive daily. AC and private baths with hot water. The pool is a must too since it is too hot in the middle of the day to lay on the beach. At night the security guard Rinaldo is there to give you piece of mind. Oh also when the power goes out in the town, Otro Lado was the only place I noticed that had a back up generator to power the flood lights outside your room. Also a good piece of mind.

The owners were great too. They were very helpful in contacting the airline about us bringing surfboards and arranging a taxi for our departure. Everything was very simple there which I loved. The food was great too, fresh fruit with every meal. A restaurant called Kica's was right up the street about a 1 min walk. Nico recommended to order Grandma's Pork from the menu there and he couldn't have been more right on. I'm not a big pork eater but I gave it a try and it was the best pork I ever had. We went back twice that week and ordered the same dinner. Also try their mojitios, yum. About 1 min walk south was Don Jon's which has awesome breakfast burritos. Highly recommend.

The beach is located right across the street about a two minute walk. The beach break here was the best we saw from there down to Mal Pais. We brought our own boards but next time I highly recommend just packing a backpack and renting boards when you get down there. You can rent a board for $10 USD a day and pretty much pick any style. I recommend a fat fish.

Renting a bicycle is a good inexpensive way of getting around but your butt will be sore in two days of riding on the bumpy roads. Rent from the place across from the school/ soccer field. the owner is cool, the bicycles are nicer and cheaper than the place that is closer to Otro Lado. Otherwise try and rent a quad for a few days.

Overall, very clean, comfortable and quiet. It is a little north of most of the hub-bub but i think that is a good thing. The only thing I would recommend would be a mini fridge in each room. We ended up drinking too much because we didn't want our beers to get warm that we brought back from the market. Thank you for having us. Hopefully see you again.

Room Tip: See if you can get a suite. They looked pretty cool from the outside also they might have mini frid...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Nico and Selvaggia made us so very welcome, thank you.
We had great food and service throughout, the breakfast and lunches were so nice, and we always felt as though nothing was too much.
Really handy for all St. Teresa has to offer, loadsa restaurants and surf rent places within a 10 minute walk; we surf and were really glad we rented rather than risk dinging our boards getting them here.
Seriously guys, if you want a super nice place to stay, dont look any further.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

After booking a last minute villa at Otra Lado, we weren't entirely sure what to expect. Driving in through the dusty hodge podge of restaurants, surf shops and hotels that is Santa Teresa, we were a little uncertain of whether we wanted to stay in this touristy Surf Town.

Walking up the unassuming gravel lane and under the quaint tropical straw thatch of the main building revealed an oasis of simple elegance and charm. We were elated by the atmosphere and greenery of the gardens and buildings of Otro Lado.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to spend much time with Baggi who was away on her own vacation, but Nico was everything you could ask for in a host and more. Laid back, easy to talk to and a wealth of information. No mater how busy, Nico always had some time to chat and was always willing to offer words of wisdom. My favourite being "I work very hard at not working more than two hours a day. I'm a lazy Italian, what can i say!" with a grin on his face.

The Vila we stayed in was an astounding, two stories of minimalistic decor with a kitchen, fridge, two bathrooms and a semi outdoor shower with vines growing in through to the interior. The two hammocks and small patio set in a private garden made our stay absolutely blissful. I hate to admit it but we spent more time just relaxing in the grounds of Otro Lado than exploring Santa Teresa while we were here for 5 nights.

Something else to note! While we were there, we explored other higher end hotels just to see if we could find something better (Sorry Nico! but we had to lol). We could not!! I firmly believe this is the best of the best in Santa Teresa, and perhaps in Costa Rica. You will not be disapointed!

Room Tip: The Villas are amazing and worth every penny!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Otro Lado has everything you could need in Santa Teresa: walking distance to the beach, great surf shop (Del Soul) at the end of the driveway, clean rooms and great service.

We stayed only two nights, but next time we come back, we might just stay here the entire time.

The Rooms: We were "upgraded" to a Casita which was really nice and way more than the two of us needed. The inside of the rooms are nice, clean and simple. In the Casita, there are two twin beds taht are decorated as couches, a fridge and kitchen needs, a shower and bathroom. Upstairs (and by upstairs I mean up wood spiral staircase) there is a bed, some shelves and another bathroom. There is a deck upstairs with chairs to sit outside, and downstairs a table and chairs and a hammock if you want to relax in the shade.

The Property: I think the location was one of my favorite things about this place. It was on the dirt road, but tucked back enough that you didn't have any of the noise or dust bother you. There are other places in Santa Teresa that are "off" the dirt road, but that puts them up some hills you have to climb everyday. Not fun. It's also about 1/2 a block down the road from an entrance onto the beach. If you are coming to surf, this is the best beach of the the three. Playa Carmen is pretty rough and windy (you will see kitesurfers down there) and Playa Hermosa (which is WAY down the road) is rocky and tame. So you are essentially right int he heart of some really great breaks.

For restaurants, it's good to note that Santa Teresa is pretty spread out in my opinion. We wound up driving a lot - walking will take a while down the road but a lot of ppl do it. There are a few spots around Otro - Alma was my favorite, the Ginger cafe is next door (only for breakfast and lunch). We wound up driving a lot after walking around the 1st night.

For the price, you can't go wrong with Otro Lado. Everything you need, and you can save a few bucks to get in that extra surf lesson!

• 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My friends and I spent a week at Otro Lado. You can't beat the quality of accommodation, food and location. Especially for the price!

Location: Otro Lado is located in Santa Teresa, just off the main drag (by main drag I mean dirt road). It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach. The beach access takes you to the best stretch of beach for surfing (we walked up and down the beach about half an hour in each direction and this spot is definitely the best). They have a yoga shala on the premises, but regular classes aren't held there. There are tons of yoga places within a few minuets drive from Otra Lado and I actually liked this better because it allowed us to try a bunch of different places.

Accommodations: The grounds are beautiful and the owners are super nice and helpful. The pool is small but beautifully maintained and I loved the lounge beds and hammock. The rooms themselves are basic but comfortable and clean. The shower is great.

Food: When we read reviews before going, we were confused by the mention of Italian food, but the owners are Italian and they make the BEST pasta and salads. We ended up having lunch there every single day.

Logistics: Making reservations were a breeze. Nico and Baggi helped us get transportation from Tambor. Everything was super easy.

I'm seriously considering renting a room here for a month and just hanging out...it's that awesome.

Tip: if your'e coming to Santa Teresa, either bring enough US dollars for your stay or get local currency at the airport. The one ATM is far away and few places take credit card.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends