“Loved every minute at Otro Lado!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant

Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
San Francisco, California
“Loved every minute at Otro Lado!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

We absolutely loved our stay at Otro Lado Lodge in Santa Teresa. Every aspect of it was perfect. The rooms and suites are immaculate (and the beds are very comfortable!). The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. It truly feels like an oasis in the middle of this little surf town. The location is perfect, just a 3 min walk to the beach. There are many restaurants and surf shops within walking distance.

Best of all, owners Baggi and Nico are so friendly, super accommodating and really great people. Baggi's homemade pasta is something to be desired. Highly recommend her sage and butter ravioli.

Since coming home, we've been raving about Otro Lado to all our friends.

We will definitely return one day...soon!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Golden, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

Our upstairs room was fresh and airy, a quality that is important to us. This is a new facility. Our room was attractive, large, immaculate and comfortable with an elegant washroom and shower. There was a nice private balcony. Screens on all the windows. The garden and pool area were bright and attractive. Beautiful gardens. 5 minute walk to beautiful surf beach. Our hosts were very hospitable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Otro Lado Lodge was just amazing! From the rooms to the food no detail was left unturned. Niko and Baggi (the owners) were extremely friendly, and made sure I had everything I needed. The decor of the lodge is simple but nothing short of beautiful. The hotel is close enough to the action but still far enough to be a nice quiet escape. Howler monkeys can be heard from the mountains and hummingbirds visit the gardens. Lots of places to sit outdoors and relax and their homemade pasta's sandwiches and salads are so delicious! The restaurant does close at 3pm so make sure you make time to try their food.You would think a pool is silly to have when you are less then 5 mins walk to the ocean but it is nice to take a dip and just float around without the threat of waves in your nose. I love this place and will for sure be returning. Such a great atmosphere and amazing people.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I was planning a trip back to Santa Teresa with my cousin who had never been to Costa Rica before. I had heard great things about Otro Lado and knew we had to check it out. Disappointed we were NOT! From the rooms to the food to the hosts to the guests we could have stayed forever! Actually some friends we made had been there for almost a month and had barely left the property! The owners were the nicest and most accommodating hosts that we could have asked for. When i mentioned to them that i heard they made a great pizza that was not on the menu they promptly asked me when i would like to have it and it was made fresh just for me! I cannot speak highly enough and cannot wait to return soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

The otra lado lodge has got to be one of the most chilled places iv ever been to. It was the first place I’ve ever been to where I felt like I was not a paying customer but a guest in a friend’s home. At one point I asked what cakes they did and Baggi asked what I wanted and she happily cooked me a chocolate cake! On my last night I found a little package next to my key and Baggi had left me a little piece of a desert, which she had made earlier to take to a friend’s house. I was deeply touched and quite bowled over, but it was (as always) done with a casual attitude as if it was a pleasure for them and seemed to be perfectly normal for them to do that kind of thing - they were classically Italian in their generosity without being over-bearing. I ended up spending most of my holiday in the communal area where Nico, Baggi, their three cats and dogs all relax and hang out – it was one of the most Zen places I have ever been! A great place to chill out between surfing sessions. There was also a nice space to do some yoga. On top of their great talent at their job of running a very comfortable, relaxing and generous lodge, Baggi and Nico both have great personalities and are a great joy to be around – it really was as if I was staying with two great friends. I will most certainly choose to go there again, and I hope that will be this time next year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Escazu, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Beautiful , with charm owner, relaxing.
Pool in the center and restaurant great.
Is my favorite place in santa teresa-mal pais. big room with air conditioning.
very close to the beach , in the main street of santa teresa

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Otro Lado for 9 nights in August and loved every minute of it. The Otro Lado is simple and clean, perfect for the Santa Teresa area which is rural and beautiful. The owners, Baggi and Nicco, were excellent hosts and were able to give us great tips on surfing, yoga, restaurants, etc. They happily assisted us with making reservations for a surf trip, ziplining, restaurants and taxis. We chose to stay in a two story villas which featured 2 bathrooms (one with an open air shower), small kitchen with refrigerator and hot plate, an outdoor space with table off the kitchen and a balcony off the bedroom overlooking the pool. The pool was incredible, pristine and sparkling, and directly out of the front door of our villa. The temperature so inviting that we swam multiple times everyday. The grounds were lush and the restaurant/dining area is located in the center. All food was made fresh by Baggi and Nicco and we enjoyed breakfast choices of fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, crepes and pancakes. The coffee was delicious. One of the other highlights of the restaurant were the homemade pasta and sauces.

The hotel was located across the street from the beach, less than 5 minutes to walk. My boyfriend surfed there nearly every day. Otro Lado did not have yoga during our stay because it was the low season but there were many good classes nearby. We were also very close to a supermarket and many restaurants. The nights were very quiet with the exception of howling monkeys and wild thunderstorms.

I would definitely recommend staying at Otro Lado if you visit Santa Teresa. Thank you Baggi and Nicco for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple