“Otro Lado - a magical getaway”

Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Once upon a time, in a beautiful land far, far away....I had the most amazing holiday of my life in Otro Lado. It was recommended to me by my surf instructor from the UK and I will be forever grateful! A friend of mine and I went there in February/March and we liked it so much that we returned a month later! It was a perfect girly getaway and I am certain we will be back there soon. If you think of a great place to stay in Costa Rica - don't look any further, you just found it!

Otro Lado is beautiful green oasis off the main road, where hummingbirds drink from hibiscus flowers, a blue lagoon pool invites you for a dip on a hot day and the kitchen serves delicious food every day. It's located in a perfect spot, 5 mins from the beach, walking distance from Santa Teresa town centre, shops, bars and restaurants, but quiet enough to make sure you can be away from the crowds if you like to. Even though the main road gets a bit dusty during dry season, it didn't bother us and Otro Lado is perfectly dust-free. Surf school and rental shop is right next door. The owners, Italian couple Baggi and Nico are amazing hosts and will make you feel at home right away with their warm smiles and excellent service. They love animals, so you can play and cuddle their kitties and the play with the friendliest and most chilled out dog on the planet - Hata, who is the real queen of the house, watches over everyone and makes you feel safe.

Each day begins with a delicious tropical breakfast served by Baggi and Nicco - the best Italian coffee, just like the one you get in Milano (not expected in Costa Rica!), a batido (fresh fruit smoothie, made with seasonal fruit of choice), fruit pancakes, healthy muesli or eggs any style. The dining/communal area is a large wooden deck, with low tables and lots of comfy thai-style floor cushions to lounge on. It's sheltered from the sun and a perfect place to hang out if you are feeling sociable or hungry.

At first we stayed in a double room, we shared it - it was a perfect size, the beds are huge and super comfortable. Each room has a comfortable, stylish ensuite bathroom and a little outside area, with a hammock, table and chairs. For our second stay we rented a lodge, it was outstanding - two levels, it could easily accommodate 4 people. It had a lovely lounge area, fully equipped kitchen, fridge and two bathrooms - one of which had a shower that opened onto the garden at the top, so it felt very exotic. On the top floor there was a beautiful bedroom, bathroom and a private wooden balcony, with a hammock - perfect for reading and chilling out after the beach. Outside we also had two hammocks and a mini private garden, with table and chairs, secluded from the other quests - in case we felt like having an intimate dinner.

Each day we also enjoyed wonderful lunches prepared by Baggi, her pastas, salads and foccacias are to die for ! My friend was totally addicted to tomato ravioli at the end of our stay :-) and I have some fond memories of home-made pesto linguini and greek salads with fresh avocado....mmmm. Baggi always had freshest, seasonal fruit and veg in her kitchen - we were there during mango season, lucky us! Pinneapples in CR are also the best in the world - I now buy them in my local Tesco in London and they always remind me of my wonderful holiday.

Otro Lado also has a lovely chill-out area, several giant sun-beds are perched against a wall covered by hibiscus vine. You can lay there, soaking up the rays, reading a book and watch the hummingbirds fly by...It is close enough to the jungle, so you can hear all the beautiful animal noises, howler monkeys, a myriad of birds. Daily we watched the eagles circle over the jungle canopy...priceless! There is also a lovely, lush , outdoor tropical shower, surrounded by greenery and 'birds of paradise' flowers. It's secret is that when you stand on a right angle - you can see mini rainbows..it is just like in this Herbal Essences shampoo advert!

There is a night -time security guard, so the place feels very safe. Each room and lodge has a safe locker, wireless internet works everywhere as well. There is also a an outdoor yoga studio, where on some mornings you can do a class - you just need to force yourself to roll out of the comfy bed. All rooms are air conditioned. There is also a little spa attached to yoga studio, where you can receive some massage & treatments by appointment. And there were no creepy crawlies at all, which is a bit unusual in Costa Rica!

Santa Teresa is a fantastic little town - whether you fancy a quiet holiday, active sports or parties. You can surf, body board (amazingly consistent waves!), horseride on the beach along the Pacific ocean, zipline, trek in the jungle, ride on quad bikes, do yoga, take massages, sunbathe, take a trip to Montezuma and other surrounding beaches and towns in Nicoya Peninsula. The night life is amazing, there is usually a beach party on at least 2-3 times a week in D&N, Luz Da Vida, Kika. There are some fantastic restaurants there as well - you can have Italian, Israeli, Argentinian, American food, even sushi - all a walking distance from Otro Lado!

It has been a few months since I returned and I am already planning my next trip there. I have made some wonderful friends and most of them I met in Otro Lado. I can't wait to be on the plane to Costa Rica again and I know there is only one place I want to stay when I get there - maybe I will see you there!

Room Tip: For those on a budget - go for a room, but if you can afford it - a lodge is fantastic! Both will gi...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank KasiaTheGlobetrotter

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Spent 3 month at Otro Lado. The second I arrived I feel at home and it was even hard to go down to see the beatiful sunset at the beach. Thank you Baggi and Nico for the warm welcome and making my 3 months wonderful. And thank you for all the fantastic food, will come back soon to have some more foccacia!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Visited Otro Lado Lodge with my boyfriend and it was an unforgettable experience. The hotel is well located in the town, next to the bus stop to and from San Jose and close to bike rentals, restaurants and the beach. Nico and Selvaggia are fantastic hosts and we very helpful with arranging activities and making sure our stay was comfortable. The food in the restaurant is also delicious - loved this place and would certainly return for another great trip to Santa Teresa!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2011

A wonderful experience. Great base camp for a surfing adventure. Best hotel in Santa Teresa. The bungalows are spacious, clean, lovely. Glorious fresh water pool. No complaints, pure joy. Many thanks Nico and Baggi for the delicious Italian food and warm hospitality!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Rooms are simple but clean and centrally located to surf beaches, restaurants and shopping. A great value which I recomend to anyone. Restaurant has best italian food around, but is open only for breakfast and lunch. Great expresso! I liked the pool and night security guard, and owners very friendly and helpful. Could use more parking, but overall good report.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2011

This was a gorgeous hotel! We stayed near the end of the dry season so everything was very dusty, but this was set back enough that it did not effect you while you were in the hotel area. Kiko(kiku?) was a great Argentinian restaurant near the hotel that had great mojitos! If you are looking for a night life this is not the location to go, everything pretty much shut down around 10pm which was the only disappointing part of our stay. There is a super market in walking distance that you can pick up everything you can need at a decent price including some cheap bottles of wine to get you through the night when other places close. The beach is in walking distance as well, not even a five minute walk away. The rooms were really nice, I would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2011

... excellent rates, not to mention the delicious italian food, spatious and modern rooms (the beds were a bit hard though) and a really nice pool. Remember to try their focaccias! Yum! A really good deal close to the beach!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple