“Absolutely Incredible Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lucero Surf Retreats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lucero Surf Retreats
You added Lucero Surf Retreats to your Saves list
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Hsinchu, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
“Absolutely Incredible Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed with Lucero Surf Retreats for a week and had one of the most memorable stays we've ever had! The grounds and rooms at the hotel, Otro Lado, are beautiful and immaculate, and the owners make you feel right at home straight from the start. There's a lovely restaurant serving up delicious Italian fare (the hotel owners are Italian, so you know it's good), a relaxing pool, hammocks across the hotel grounds, and a great community- but private- feel to it. Otro Lado understands that it's all in the details, and they do a great job at it.

We did the morning yoga and it was a fantastic way to start our day. Francesca was a super knowledgable yoga teacher. Even after practicing for a couple of years, my husband and I were able to take our practice even further with her guidance. If I could take Francesca home with me as my personal yoga instructor, then she would be mine in a heartbeat. The classes were customized to our personal fitness level and style. The outdoor yoga patio was serene and relaxing, and we especially enjoyed our one evening of candlelit yoga. We originally only signed up for four yoga classes, but we loved Francesca so much that we added an extra class with her at the last minute :)

The surf lessons were new to me. My husband is an awesome surfer, but I have always been a bit hesitant. Luckily, Mark (the instructor) was so much fun! He was very supportive even when I kept falling time and time again. He is lots of fun to hang out with and made me feel very relaxed in the water. I happened to see other surf instructors who looked discouraged and were even yelling at their students. I would trust Mark with my life! Mark also listened to my objective. He knew I was there just to have a good time, and he made sure that happened. And, believe it or not, I was actually 'surfing' in white water by the end of it. The professional surfing photos were a nice touch, and though admittedly there are a lot of me bellyflopping in the water since that's primarily what I did, my husband got some really nice shots of him actually surfing.

The week ended with an amazing massage. I have had a lot of massages, which means at this point I am pretty picky. But my massage with Lucero was easily one of the best bodywork sessions I've ever had. Nathan quickly picked up where I carry stress and wasting no time in sorting it out. If you prefer a more 'relaxing' massage, those are also available, but I recommend going for the bodywork.

Overall, the best part about Lucero is it's really all about what you want. This retreat was perfect as my husband is a surfer and I practice yoga regularly. They go above and beyond to customize your week so you do (or don't do) exactly what you want. We've been in Costa Rica for 2 months and this was by far our favorite experience. I can't wait to go back! Thanks Lucero :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Lucero Surf Retreats was the perfect surf/yoga retreat! The hotel, surf lessons, morning yoga, and location were amazing. The staff was great and more than accomodating. The vacation was amazing. I will be planning another vacation with Lucero Surf Retreats soon!

• Stayed January 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Very happy with my choice to travel with Lucero. Everyone, particularly Courtney, was a pleasure to deal with. Lots of help and tips throughout the trip, which was greatly appreciated.

Surfing lessons with Mark were 1 on 1 and were great from me being a beginner. Morning yoga in the outdoor studio with Francesca was beautiful and personalized. Massage and horseback riding were also organized by Courtney and were fantastic. THe hotel, Otro Lado is beautiful and serene. Overall a fantastic experience.

Recommend renting an ATV and drive out to Montezuma Falls.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be equally well placed and equipped. There are rooms and houses which you can pick...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Vaughan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at a wonderful loction arranged by Lucero Surf Retreats. The retreat, staff and activities were fantastic. Special thanks to Courtney who took care of everything for us. Lucero Surf Retreats really knows how to make you feel special. We highly recommend booking a vacation with Lucero for surfing, yoga or relaxing. They know how to enjoy life.
Pura Vida.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Lucero Surf Retreats was the best choice for my trip to Costa Rica. I went with three of my friends and we all had a blast. We were all taken care of very well thanks to Lucero. Surfing, yoga, massages, paddle boarding, and horse back riding were just a few of the awesome activities that we really enjoyed. Our hotel we stayed at was SO nice and everyone there really made us feel welcome. Marieke from Lucero was beyond helpful with all of our questions and concerns before the trip, and during the trip she made sure we were having an amazing time. I highly recommend experiencing Costa Rica through Lucero, you won't regret it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Amazing trip, gorgeous location! The surf-yoga package was a fantastic value. Our experience with Lucero was excellent. Everyone we dealt with including the hotel owners, yoga & surf instructors & the on site Lucero coordinator was committed to making our stay a memorable one and they were wonderful people as well. In short, a great, fun time. Will definitely book future trips with the Lucero team!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

This surf and yoga retreat was an amazing experience and I had a great time. From the start of planning this trip, Marieke was super helpful and responded to all our questions and emails with a prompt response and helpful information. This helped tremendously as this was the first time I planned a vacation that was not a simple all inclusive package. We flew into San Jose and took Nature Air to Tambour and took a 40min cab ride into Santa Theresa. They even had arranged to have a taxi waiting there for us. Otro Lado is an absolute hidden gem in the middle of a small surf town. Baggi and Nico were super helpful and friendly. The food at the hotel and everywhere we went was to die for, so fresh and made with love. The hotel rooms were great, each with its own unique style. When we arrived we were met by Courtney and Ryan who were our go to people for the week. They were amazing, super helpful and accommodating. They know the in's and out's of the area and provided us with a lot of info on where to eat, places to see, ect. They made our week even more amazing and worry free. Every morning we had yoga with Francesca who is a fantastic yoga instructor and will push who to your ultimate potential. Our surf instructor Marc was awesome. Right from the start you can tell the love and passion he has for surfing and it translates into the lessons. Having never surfed before, it was a breeze with Marc's technical knowledge and ability to effectively communicate. We also went stand-up paddle boarding with Andy and his wife which was super fun and a great work out.
All in all this trip was perfect, I had such a wonderful time that I can not wait to get back there!! I only wish I had stayed longer and perhaps had slightly stronger SPF!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends