So I researched so many places to learn how to surf. I stumbled upon this place on TripAdvisor and couldn't have been happier with my Choice. Marieke and Jared (the couple that own the surf camp) are the most inviting people I have met. I was a female solo traveller that has only gone as far as tourist Acapulco Mexico on a resort, so going to this small surf town by myself was a little scary. Once I got into town I was quick to learn that allot of people there are from North America or Europe and definitely not scary at all. Everyone at Otro Lado (the hotel Lucero Surf camp partners with) made me feel welcome, and the food there is just amazing, you feel as if you are in a tropical oasis.
Lucero made everything super easy, down to calling cabs and arranging my excursions while i was there. My surf lessons were super fun, Jared is an awesome teacher and amazing at catering to everyones skill level. Marieke was on the ball with details, she made the reservation process and "getting ready" process super easy. She was great with replying to my emails quickly and answering all my questions. They never made me feel like I was traveling alone. The hotel is beautiful and situated close enough to be part of the action but far enough to be a nice quite place to have a coffee, take a dip or read a book.
There are a few ways to get there:
1- Fly to a major city in Costa Rica (I flew to SJO but i think you can also do Liberia) and then take a tiny plane to Tambor and then Taxi.
2 - Fly in and then there is a 6hour bus ride which is cheaper then the small plane
3 - Fly in and rent a car drive down
My only advice is that if you are like me and love to explore and do allot of excursions and activities is to rent a car and drive down from the airport so that you have a vehicle while you are there. It's not needed if you just want to hang in the town. I did rent ATV's which are cheap and fun but with everything added into the equation (taxi+plane ect) I think you'd be better off with a small 4x4. If you don't have the itch to go outside of the town and just want to sit and hang then there is no need for a vehicle there are plenty of Taxis out there.
All in all i couldn't recommend a better place or people to learn how to surf with. This was a trip truly worth it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LUCERO SURF RETREATS offers adventure travel with all inclusive Surf and Surf/Yoga packages to Santa Teresa in beautiful Costa Rica for single travelers, groups, families and couples! You will love a vacation with us because we provide a fun, friendly learning atmosphere for surfers and yogi's of any level with the perfect balance between surf, activity, yoga and individual free time. If you don't want to join one of our Group Retreats or standard packages let us know! With a lot of experience in travel planning, we will be able to arrange your vacation from beginning to end based on your personal wishes on dates that work best for you. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lucero Surf Retreats Hotel Santa Teresa
- Lucero Surf Retreats Nicoya
- Lucero Surf Retreats Costa Rica/Santa Teresa