“Exceptional resort”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Boston, Massachusetts
“Exceptional resort”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Andaz for five nights, June 24-29, and have rarely been so impressed with a resort. The setting, the service, the amenities, the unpretentious elegance were all so soothing that we immediately felt cared for and relaxed. Truly, this resort is extraordinary.
The architecture is thoughtfully designed to fit into the landscape in the middle of the tropical dry forest in Guanacaste. Costa Rica has significant restrictions in place to protect wildlife fauna and fauna, and the builders have clearly embraced these restrictions to create an organic setting. The experience begins at the nonexistent "front desk," a beautifully appointed open air lounge whose purpose is only evidenced by the laptops on two kiosks. The Pura Vida atmosphere is imbued in the "lounge" staff (some standouts we encountered included Brenda, Andrea, and Ignacio), who seat you in comfy chairs and serve you the juice of the day (ours was pineapple mint), gathering your luggage and information discreetly and cheerfully. We were taken in one of the ubiquitous and much needed golf carts to our room, probably the second best room we've ever had-- and our room was the least expensive basic Andaz King. Many other reviewers have detailed the beauty, comfort, and amenities in the rooms, so I won't repeat, but will just add to the praise.
The resort is self contained, offering most of the experiences a tropical vacationer would want, including two wonderful pools, one huge one that's family friendly, and another that's adults only, two beaches, one complete with kayaks, snorkel equipment, and SUPs, all included in your room price, and additional services like jet skis available at additional cost. The second beach is a bit more secluded, with no special services, but at both pools and both beaches, staff regularly appear with fresh towels, flavored ice water, and the occasional special juice. All are delivered with that smiling, gracious attitude that exemplifies Costa Rican hospitality.
The gym and spa are unbelievable. Great equipment on the lower level, complete with a fridge stocked with water and apples. On the top floor are spa like gender specific shower rooms and steam rooms with gorgeous tile and thoughtful toiletries. Leave the steam room and luxuriate in the plunge pool, preferably under the stars.
Restaurants are also thoughtfully designed for guests of all ages and persuasions. Rio Bhongo is the all day restaurant, the only one of the three serving breakfast and lunch as well as dinner in a gorgeous but casual setting. The cuisine is fresh but upscale Costa Rican, with lots of fruits available as well as those wonderful juice blends. Our "regular" waitress, Inez, was beautiful in every way, gracious, helpful, and attentive. On her day off, Carolina was a worthy replacement, but on the few nights we had dinner at Rio Bhongo, we were disappointed with both the service and the menu choices. We ate twice at the small plates restaurant Chao Pescao, and were satisfied enough with the quality and size of the meals, though the addition of fresh vegetables and fruits to the menu would be so welcome since do many items are a tad heavy. Our waitress here, Josefina, was outstanding both times we visited. Friday nights there is an amazing Brazilian singer in the bar area, adding to the already cool vibe in the place. At Ostra, the fine dining restaurant, we were thrilled with a starter if ceviche, and very happy with our very well prepared seafood entrees. Daniel, our Swiss server, was excellent at helping us decide on our dishes. The dessert, however, was wildly disappointing -- a "deconstructed" cheesecake with little flavor and an off putting texture.
The restaurants are certainly expensive, though we've eaten in hotels that charged more for a lot less quality. Still, we spent $800 on food over 6 days, and I don't drink alcohol. Be aware.
Another caveat: because it's built into a hillside, Andaz has a LOT of hills to navigate to get to and from just about anywhere on the property. We chose to walk everywhere, but that's not for everyone. Hence, those ubiquitous golf carts, which will instantly whisk you wherever you want to go if you either call from your room or ask your server. Rides are even offered as you're taking a walk, and always cheerfully given. The walking paths are also a bit dark at night, so more lights should be installed.
Believe it or not, I could go on. And on, about this glorious place. Suffice it to say, we arrived frazzled and desperately needing a vacation, and left blissed out and relaxed.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Jo Ann S
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Jo Ann,

we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us so much. There is no better compliment for us than you returning home blissed and relaxed. I will share your review with all our colleagues, especially the ones you have mentioned and thank them for their contribution in making your stay extraordinary.

I also appreciate your recommendations on areas we can grow or need refinement.

We hope to share more of our Pura Vida with you at the Andaz soon.

Best regards,

Michael Schmid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Mount Arlington, New Jersey
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I could say so much about our Andaz P.P.R. experience, I will start with the... Food~wonderful to be able to experience so many different tastes of Costa Rican cuisine. Each meal was an experience. Breakfast buffet was always a highlight. Fresh fruit/vegetable juices and wonderful omelets, plenty of choices. Definitely recommend the Barista class! Accommodations - while we had to have our room moved due to air conditioning issues, the staff accommodated this move right away and the room accommodations were serene, peaceful, and beautifully clean. For our inconvenience, we received several surprises to apologize for the problematic air conditioning. (Thank you Mr. Schmid for the complimentary cocktails at Ostra,) As stated in another review, very low lighting. We thought the flashlights in the room was for the room, we realized on our last night (spent a week) they were for traveling the paths at night! But we loved the ambiance of the dim lighting. The indoor/outdoor showers were great and kept the total hotel feel of connecting indoors to outdoors. The pools were terrific. The spa was wonderful. The spa products are amazing. Wanted to come home with the Rice cream but they didn't have any to sell. Still hoping to have it sent if possible???
Now~ the biggest and perhaps the most amazing part of the trip (besides the monkeys and butterflies) has to be the staff! Xira the waitress, Cezar the driver, the barrista guy-amazing, Mr. Stevens, the spa ladies, Luis the ceviche chef in Ostra and of course Mr. Schmid the hotel manager...the staff was outstanding. Made you feel like a guest in their homes. They truly want you to be happy, and to love Costa Rica. They all have a contagious energy that is just a joy to be around. We were happy to get to know so many of the staff.
I hope we are fortunate to be able to return not only to Costa Rica but back to the Andaz Peninsula hotel. Thanks for everything!!!

1 Thank Nacie A
Dear Nacie,

thank you for taking the time to post your review and for writing so favourably about your experience at Andaz.

I personally appreciated your understanding with having to move rooms during your stay and I'm glad you enjoyed the cocktails. Thank you also for your nice words about the staff you interacted with. We certainly love Costa Rica and I'm glad we were able to transmit some of our passion for this amazing country.

Our Spa Manager has reached out to Maria Laura, the owner of Biosfera, and producer of our local spa products in order make arrangements so you can eventually distribute their products in the US (and get some of the Rice Cream shipped)...

We hope to be able to welcome you back on the Peninsula Papagayo.

Pura Vida,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 14, 2014

this place was unreal. Expensive, yet, but the suite was amazing. Totally worth it for a few nights. We went in the down season (July) and basically had the whole place to ourselves. Downside is the on-site restaurants/bars are pretty overpriced.

2 Thank CCB312
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for staying with us for a few nights and taking the time to share your experience.

The Green Season indeed offers more tranquillity and it is great to read you enjoyed that. We are also pleased you found your suite amazing and hope you will find time to return in the near future.

With best regards,

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely impressed. The Andez is a brand new facility that has been beautifully integrated within the local natural surroundings. It is a place that immediately makes you relax. The food was was incredible. I have never experienced so many new tastes in one place that could be so fresh, healthy and so delicious at once. The service was impeccable. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. WOW!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Adam C
Dear Adam,

thank you very much for your vote of confidence and also the great pictures.

We are delighted you were able to relax and unwind at the Resort. I am also pleased you experienced so divers food flavours at our restaurants and I'll be more than happy to share your comments with our team.

Pura Vida! We hope to see you again soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We Stayed here for four nights on the second part of our trip on our honeymoon. Very Luxurious resort setting and what a amazing drive into the peninsula. We were greeted by several white faced monkeys (the first that we saw in Costa Rica) and just started taking many pictures from there of this photogenic resort.

Our room was very nice, comfortable, great walk inn shower, stocked mini bar (non echoic drinks tho) - yuka chips, salted peanuts and raisins, plantain chips, water, coconut candy, chocolate, coffee tea, milk, fruit drinks, coca cola etc. Nice patio with partial ocean view but many trees where monkeys would come greet us. We felt like they could cut back the tree line to get more of that amazing peninsula ocean view but maybe there is a reason for the tree line.

The food was awesome. The staff was amazing. We tried to get the sunset cruise two day in a row but the waves were two tough on the sailboat. we didn't fully understand the first day it was cancelled because when we went down to the ocean it was calm as could be but was waving badly 30 minutes prior. Maybe it takes time to get set up but we were disappointed that we could not do this activity. It was our honeymoon and they did know it was and kind of felt like maybe they could make it up more than just I am sorry. We also felt if they were to set up some small surprises for us being it was our honeymoon it would have taken it to a whole new level (flower pedals, bottle of champagne, romantic setting for a dinner we went too idunno something small to just make it a little more special).

We were also able to utilize the four seasons beach, restaurants and golf coarse.

Overall we would love to come to the Andaz and truly appreciate all the hard work they put in to this place.

Dear Brian,

I'm glad you both enjoyed your time at the resort, got to see some wildlife and enjoyed the room and it's amenities.

I was truly disappointed to read we have not picked up on your honeymoon and therefore have not provided you with some extra touches that would have made your stay even more memorable. Please reach out to me directly if you really can make it back to Costa Rica - maybe on your first anniversary?

We would love to share some more Pura Vida with you both,

Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Our family just returned from a 6 night stay at the hotel. My husband and I had a beautiful Andaz Suite with a living room, bathroom and a half and balcony. There was probably enough room for us all but because our three sons are teenagers we got another regular room with a rollaway bed which was "connected" to our room via a hallway and locking outer door that accessed only the two rooms. The layout was perfect. The kids even had their own balcony. The only negative I can say about our room is that the lighting was very dim (with exception to the bathroom). The lights were recessed and the bulbs not very bright. Also, the first night we couldn't turn off the headboard light but the maintenance staff fixed the problem the next day. The snacks and drinks in the room are free and stocked everyday which can be a plus with three hungry boys. We spent a lot of time at the pool which was beautiful and never crowded. It was also never a competition to get a lounge chair like so many resorts I've been to in the past. The food delivered there was very good. The closest beach was nice with chairs, towels and drinks service but the beach a little further down was spectacular. We had the entire beach to ourselves most of the time. There seemed to be plenty of kayaks, snorkeling gear, etc although we never put it to use. Our favorite restaurant at the resort was Chao Pescao which served great drinks and tappas. We ate there several times and got to know the super friendly staff. Transportation to the neighboring golf course and beach club was readily available. The grounds around the resort are beautiful with flowers and so many butterflies. We also saw many monkeys, iguanas and pizotes (raccoon-looking animals). Generally, we never return to a resort because we love to explore new places and resorts but we will definitely return to the Andaz. I'm hesitant to write this review because it would be nice to keep this as our little secret!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Carolyn M
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Carolyn,

thank you for taking the time to share your Andaz Experience and unravel the secret; just a little bit.

We are very pleased your family enjoyed their stay, the activities on site and Chao Pescao. I will pass your comments to our team.

We look forward having you back in Costa Rica and hope you'll have the quite beach to yourself again. That is Pura Vida!

With best regards,

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We just finished a fantastic stay at the Andaz, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation within a natural environment.

The level of service is very high, starting with the general manager, who was very accommodating with my requests, and connected me to the right folks on the property based on my various needs.

The staff was very friendly, including Ignacio at the front desk, and another person whose name I can't remember, but drove us around the property twice. The greatest thing about the staff, based on my observations and what I learned while on property, was that everyone's encouraged to be their "best self," which helps to give the resort a local, Costa Rican feel.

We ate many meals at Rio Bhongo (breakfast, lunch and dinner), and the quality was surprisingly good. I say surprisingly just because I had read some middling reviews previously, but my experience tells me those folks either had a poor experience, or were wrong. While their breakfast buffet doesn't have a ton of hot food options, the selections they did offer was quite satisfying.

We also had a couple of dinners at Chao Pescao, including one night when they had live music. I can't recommend doing that enough -- the food was great, and the music just added so much to the atmosphere. Mind you, I was with my family, along with friends and their family, so we were probably the only ones with kids in the restaurant, but it was still one of the trip's highlights.

Room
We were very fortunate to have been upgraded to an Andaz Suite, and in my opinion, it was probably one of the best suites on property, as it overlooked the main pools, the bay, and Rio Bhongo. Waking up with the view we had was so invigorating.

The suite was spacious, and thoughtfully designed. Plenty of power outlets everywhere, and all of the glass walls/doors opened up to create an outdoorsy feel, if you wanted to do so.

The bathroom was well-designed, and the shower offered great water pressure. The bed was quite comfortable, and the overall modern decor infused with eco/nature elements perfectly fit my taste.

Amenities
My wife had a massage at the spa, and she enjoyed it very much. That said, she did say that the spa doesn't have a whole lot of amenities or facilities that one might expect to find in another luxury hotel. We visited the gym as well, and while it was perfectly adequate, I did wonder why they didn't position it to take advantage of the gorgeous views of Culebra Bay.

Of the multiple pools, we spent the vast majority of our time at the family pool, which was terrific. One wish I did have was that poolside umbrellas offered more shade, as it was nearly impossible to find any lounger that wasn't fully in the sun during the morning/early afternoon hours. Also, the loungers aren't adjustable, so you either were sitting mostly upright, or completely prone on your back.

The hotel has two beaches -- the closer and easier-to-get-to beach is where the activities are. It was fine, but I recommend going further and checking out the second beach. There are no chairs there, and no equipment to reach (e.g., snorkels, kayaks), but you'll practically have the beach to yourself because everyone else is either at the pool or the other beach.

Lastly, the hotel offers a free shuttle to the Prieta Beach Club, marina and other locations on the peninsula. While we did check out the beach club, and it offers a difference experience that what's available at the Andaz, I personally preferred the Andaz pools/beaches. Plus, if I had a major complaint, it'd probably be the shuttle.

We originally had scheduled it for an 11 a.m. pickup. It didn't arrive until close to 11:30 a.m., so we wasted a fair amount of time at the lobby (which normally wouldn't be that bad, but when you have three antsy kids ages 2-6 with you, it can get challenging). Then, for the return, we asked the beach club to arrange for a pickup at a certain time. However, the attendant didn't bother calling for the shuttle until we actually showed up, at the pre-arranged time, so we were made to, once again, wait for the shuttle more than necessary (though I recognize this part is something the resort has little control over).

Other
This resort has an abundance of butterflies, monkeys and iguanas. It was so much fun to be amidst all of that nature. While we stayed on property for the majority of our trip, the way the resort was set up and designed, we felt like we got a great sense of Costa Rica's natural wonders.

All in all, this trip was fantastic, and the experience at the Andaz was the major factor. We wanted some place relaxing, with top-notch staff, good food, and fun water facilities. We've already recommend the resort to a number of friends, and we've only been back home for one day. Hopefully we'll have another opportunity soon to visit again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building 7, as it's closest to Rio Bhongo and Chao Pescao, along with the lobb...