“One of the best if not the best hotel I've ever stayed in”

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
“One of the best if not the best hotel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I never write reviews of hotels this is my first one and not only that I am still staying here another three nights. I just had to say this hotel is not only aesthetically beautiful with great amenities but the staff is so warm and friendly and awesome. The culture of the hotel is to let the staff be who they are and it makes for a wonderful experience for the guests. Now usually I like to keep to myself on vacation, I'm from NY and hate people who are too friendly but you can't help yourself as the personalities of the staff are infectious in the best possible way. Andrea a checked us in and right away my whole family was smiling at her vibrant personality yes even my two jaded teenagers. She gave us a tour of the grounds and we couldn't help but fall in love with the hotel and Andrea. At the Tapas bar we met Josefina who was originally from Argentina but came here for the waves and the natural beauty. She told us of some great places to see in the area and wrote everything down as well as giving us directions to a great lunch spot that we had to see while we are here. The food was also very delicious. We have just come from the rain forest and only had one good meal while we were there. After Tapas we played some ping pong in a beautifully appointed public room and caught a ride with Aaron a young man from San Jose, Costa Rica who was so sweet. Again the hotel is one of the best I've been in and it's a bit refreshing they don't nickel and dime you to death, The minibar is free and restocked every night. It's small things like this that make me feel like I'm not getting taken advantage of just because I'm on vacation. I love nice things and have worked hard for them I appreciate when I'm not just looked at as a giant wallet. That said it isn't cheap here but you get treated better than most at most high end hotels.

Room Tip: I don't know all the rooms but I have two one for my wife and I and one for the kids and both ar...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ian G
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Ian,

we are very grateful you have written your first review on this site, but most of all we are happy you are having a good time with your family.

Thank you for complementing our staff. As you precisely say, we encourage our staff to bring their personality into their interactions with our guests. It is often the people you meet that make a journey so much more memorable.

Pura Vida,

Michael Schmid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I have always wanted to visit Costa Rica and we took advantage of Father's Day to spend a four day, long weekend at the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort. The Resort is on the Pacific side of C.R., and is on Papagayo Bay, a calm, tranquil and inviting body of water.

From our warm welcome until when we, quite reluctantly had to leave, the caring and sincere efforts by all of the staff that we met, made us feel as though we were visiting family. We enjoyed a suite for our lodging, but all of the accommodations were beautifully designed and softly spoke about vacation, tranquility and quality. Did I already say that the staff did exceeded any expectations in making our stay a successful one?

Firstly, the views: They were spectacular and included lovely beaches, exotic birds, dense foliage, lots of iguanas and even monkeys. To wake up each morning and experience these views was to be in paradise.

Secondly, the food: What was so special about the food was its incredible freshness, the soft blending of flavors and the very appetizing manner in which it was served. We had lots of questions and the dining staff took lots of time and a great deal of pride and pleasure explaining what makes Costa Rican cuisine different. "Try it", they would say, and try it we did. They served a different Ceviche each day and each day it was better than before. The food was truly delicious. Did I say that the staff was excellent?

Lastly, the service: One of our dining servers, Carolina, explained that Costa Ricans are extremely proud of what they do. A very large portion of the population speaks English, so that communication is easy and, most importantly, open. Everybody wants to explain what they do, why the Resort is very special and inquire what they can do to make your stay more enjoyable. Our special thanks to Assistant Manager, Maria, who went out of her way to make certain that this would be a Father's Day that we would all remember. If I didn't say it before, the staff was excellent.

To summarize, this is a singularly beautiful, new property, with exquisite lodgings and grounds, a truly professional and warm staff and offers excellent cuisine. We cannot wait to return to our new family.

One warning: It is hot, humid and there are lots of insects. Make sure you are prepared with proper clothing and insect repellant.

3 Thank Joel0628
Dear Joel,

thank you for staying with us over this years Father's Day with your wife and your family.

We are delighted you had a great time and enjoyed the views, the food and most of all the staff interactions. It is wonderful to read we were able to transmit some of our love for this country, their people and our sense of hospitality.

We hope to see you all again and share more Pura Vida.

With best wishes,

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I checked in to the Andaz on June 27 and checked out on June 30, 2014. The room was awesome and the service was excellent. We dined at all 3 of the restaurants and the meals were fantastic. We used all of the pools, the beaches and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. At 1/2 the price of The Four Seasons we figured we'd get about 1/2 the quality of service but we were pleasantly surprised. The architecture was extraordinary and the landscaping was spectacular.
The only hiccup was Monday morning. It seemed like the team may have been understaffed. After breakfast, at around 7:30am we wanted to spend time at the pool, on the beach and take a little more of the resort life in before we headed out at 9:30am to catch our return flight. There were no towels out at the pool or beach and the chairs on the beach were still chained up at 8:30am unavailable for seating. We had planned on stopping at a souvenir shop on the way to the airport but it took 45 minutes and 3 separate calls to the front desk, for a golf cart to get us and our baggage from the room, then our bill was incorrect and we weren't able to leave the resort until 10:35, an hour a 20 minutes later than our plans. We were starting to get worried that we would miss our flight but it all worked out.
Our bill for 3 nights, shared transportation to and from the airport, 6 meals, 2 desserts and 3 or 4 drinks was almost $1,700.00 for the 2 of us.

Room Tip: Try to stay in Building 6 if you can. I think it's the most centrally located to pools, beach a...
2 Thank Brandt D
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Brandt,

thank you for staying at the Andaz recently with our wife.

I'm glad you decided to stay with us and we were able to exceed your expectations. Thank you also for highlighting some areas we can improve on. I can fully understand that you wanted to enjoy some more time at the pool and beach before your departure and we should have the facilities set up at that time. I will investigate what happened on that particular day including the time it took us to arrange your pick up at the room. Good to hear it all worked out at the end.

We hope your travel plans allow you to visit us again in the near future. Until then, we wish you both all the best.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Andaz absolutely exceeded our expectations from the minute we pulled up to the resort. I was so impressed with how friendly the staff was. They remembered our plans and experiences from a previous conversation and would follow up about it the next time we saw each other. They were always attentive and so kind, they were a highlight for me. Aaron greeted us when we got there and gave us a tour of the resort before helping us to our rooms. He was so helpful and we thoroughly enjoyed talking with him every time we got to see him. Thank you to Michael and the whole front desk staff for making it so special.
The food was AMAZING!! We ate at the tapas restaurant every night, and it was incredible!! Josefina was always so sweet when we saw her, and she recommended places to go, things to do, and certain dishes to try! We kept the notes of recommended places and then planned some trips from them. The mixologists also made drinks that were simply divine.
I can't say enough great things about our experience. Between the luxurious room, amazing food, beautiful view, and wonderful staff, we were in Heaven. We are definitely planning on going back someday. Until then we will keep looking at our pictures and reminisce.

3 Thank Kim S
Dear Kim,

thank you for your delightful review after your recent stay at the Andaz.

I am so happy to see that we were able to exceed your expectations and hopefully win another fan of our Pura Vida. I will complement our staff at the front desk, Chao Pescao and the Chefs for making your stay with us so memorable.

Let us know when you need another set of pictures ... I'm sure will we find some more unique spots to show you.

With best regards,

United States
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Just returned from 3 nights at the Andaz Papagayo. From the moment you step onto the propperty, everything is fantastic. We had a double room and a suite (small suite) and couldn't have been happier. The suite was HUGE and overlooked the water. The double room was also on the larger side and had a shower that opened onto the balcony overlooking the water. I think that all roome overlook the water.

The staff goes out of their way to make things enjoyable. I'm not sure where they find these staff members, but they are all amazing...from the grounds keepers to the Manager...friendly and there to serve you and make sure you have a great time!

Occupancy was under 30% when we were there, so we felt like we had the place to ourselves! The main pool is very nice, although the chairs do get a bit hot in the June sun. The beach is a bit small but also very nice. You can borrow stand-up paddle boards and snorkling equipment. You can also rent peddleboats, but they never charged us for them, so maybe they are free too...not sure.

We only at at Chao Pescao one night and the food was plentiful and delicious. We ordered 4 tapas platters for my family of 5 and we had a ton left over...huge portions. We didn't eat anything else at the hotel...brought in breakfasts from the German Bakery on the way in, stopped at the Peri super market on the way in for lunches (used to be called Jumbo super market), went to Coco Beach for dinner.

We also took advantage of the use of the Beach Club over by the Four Seasons. Both the pool and the beach were very nice. The beach club is actually on the pacific (not in the gulf of Papagayo), so there are more waves, and the water is a bit cooler. The Andaz has free transportation from 6-6 to the Beach Club, the Marina (where the Dive Bar is) and the Four seasons.

There is not much elso to do at the hotel other than Spa, Beach and Pool. Liberia is about 20 minutes away and Coco Beach (and other beaches) are about 40 minutes away. We had a car, and the drive was easy. 2 lane roads, but relatively well marked and easy to drive.

This was definitely the highlight of our trip and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Costa Rica!

3 Thank arrosen
Dear Mr Rosen,

thank you for staying at the Andaz and taking the time to write this review.

We are very glad you and the family enjoyed your 3 nights at the hotel and it was great to read that you were also able to explore the neighbourhood. I am most thankful to hear that the interactions with our staff were part of highlights of your stay and we hope you find time to visit us again.

Pura Vida,

Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We just returned from 6 nights in Costa Rica. The first three nights were spent at the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo. We were torn between the new Andaz and the Four Seasons and we are thrilled that we opted for the Andaz. It was fantastic from the moment we checked in until the moment we hesitantly drove away into the jungle. The breathtaking view at the open air reception area was only second to the service we received when we first arrived. They chatted with us, made us feel welcome, gave us some delicious juice to cool us down and introduce us to the Costa Rican Pura Vida lifestyle! After a tour of the property, they showed us to our room (it would be a better fit to refer to it as an apartment). It was huge and insanely beautiful. Modern, bright, and cozy, it felt much like home. We had a Large Corner Andaz Suite. It has 2 balconies... one with a large seating area off of the bedroom and the other with a plunge pool, hammock, and another large seating area. The view from both of these balconies was lush and green and full of the sounds of Costa Rican nature with the bay in the background. We could have easily spent our entire time here on the balcony! The bedroom was large and inviting, as was the living/dining area. The bathroom was immense, honestly, it was gigantic and beyond beautiful! The pool area is large and clean and calming. It is located right near the main restaurant (one of 3 restaurants on property). The restaurant (Rio Bhongo) was delicious for all meals, we especially enjoyed the breakfast with fresh juices, fresh fruit, made-to-order crepes, pastries, etc... We had dinner one night at Ostra and it was incredible, the ceviche was unbelievable! On or near the property, we saw monkeys, lizards, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc and the sounds of nature were soothing and magnificent! The staff were wonderful and friendly and we appreciated that they weren't too uptight like the Four Seasons (we had dinner there one night and the service felt stiff, robotic, and just plain boring). We would return to the Andaz in a heartbeat and are already encouraging our friends and family to go there! Thank you to everyone at the Andaz for their kindness, happiness, and friendliness... PURA VIDA!!

Room Tip: Our room was 711 and it was probably the best hotel room we've ever stayed in. Ever.
4 Thank Lola216
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for making a first stop at Andaz during your Costa Rica vacation!

We are thrilled your enjoyed our Pura Vida. It has been a pleasure sharing it with you and we hope the continuation of your trip was equally memorable. Thank you also for posting some photos of your suite and the resort; they will seriously make our photographer jealous.

Hoping to see you again on the Peninsula Papagayo!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Recently took the family to the Andaz in Costa Rica. The hotel is relatively new but right on the water. Service was excellent as the staff really went out of their way to provide anything needed from booking tours to food requests to shuttles to nearby activities, etc. They were very proactive. Never been to Costa Rica before so unsure what to expect but they ensured we were well taken care of and had access to all we wanted.

Room Tip: WE asked for and got connecting rooms. The resort has many buildings so may want to request close t...
2 Thank Jim H
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Jim,

we are glad you enjoyed your first trip to Costa Rica and hope it won't be the last one.

Thank you for highlighting the great service your have received from our team. It is delightful to read that we were able to provide you with the genuine hospitality the local culture is know for.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

With best regards,

Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,626 reviews
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica a...
#2 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,874 reviews
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort? Share your experiences!