Husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Grand Papagayo. Costa Rica is an absolutely beautiful country with wonderful, friendly people. The resort was just gorgeous. Lush trees and plants, unique flowers and birds. The entire Guanacaste region is mountainous and the resorts are built on these mountains so it is very hilly. If you don't get around real well, maybe not the place to go. We didn't mind the hills- added to the ambiance and provided some exercise after eating too much wonderful food!! The rooms are spread out in the resort and some are higher on the hills and farther from the lobby than the others so you may want to request one closer to the lobby. The rooms are very nice- although we spent very little time in the rooms. Not really any room service but maybe if you ask. They may not be by every day to clean your room or stock the water in the minibar but just keep in mind that the Costa Ricans are way more laid back than Americans but will accomodate when asked. The beach is very small and somewhat rocky. Not many people spend time at the beach ( If you want beaches- go to Hawaii or Jamaica or Florida. Come to Costa Rica for the tropical lushness and the animals) The pool is very nice and the bartenders are warm and friendly (they appreciate the tips but tipping is not necessary). Food in Costa Rica was amazing. The hotel offers a buffet restaraunt for breakfast and dinner (this was the only restaraunt we ate at) and an italian and oriental restaurant for dinner by reservations. We couldn't get in for reservations but that was just fine because the varied food on the buffet everyday was great. For lunch they offer "snacks" (actually is a full buffet) by the pool from noon until 5pm. Awesome food too. Entertainment at night is provided and they have a late night 'disco' (bar/dance club) which wasn't bad. There are some other great bars for dinner and nightlife in nearby Coco Beach (only a 10 minute cab ride- $30 round trip or rent your own car). In Coco Beach- eat at Louisiana. They have the most amazining Garlic Seafood stuffed lobster- very inexpensive!! If you plan to buy coffee or the national liquor- Guaro- stop by the grocery store in Coco Beach because it is very inexpensive. We highly recommend the Mega Combo tour (we went with Swiss Travel and Eric was the tour guide- he was very good). It was AMAZING and well worth the price.
Overall- we had an amazing experience and would gladly go back to the Grand Papagayo and most certainly will return to Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Guanacaste on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica,The Adults Only Occidental Papagayo is only at 25 minutes from the Liberia International Airport. This Resort surrounded by nature, boast lush tropical landscape with scenic views of Bahia Culebra in Papagayo Golf.Ideal for couples, honeymooners and adult guest seeking a relaxing getaway. The Occidental Papagayo offers a highly personalized five star all- inclusive experience delivered by an attentive and dedicated staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Barcelo, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental Papagayo - Adults only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia