“april”

Occidental Papagayo - Adults only
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Amazing view at the entrance. The staff is really nice, helpful and professional. Good swimming pool, private beach, amazing stairs to the pool and interesting animals to watch. The reservations for dinner at the reception don’t work well.
Patricia from the International restaurant by the pool is super professional and friendly.
For an all inclusive, it has too many rules but a good service.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,524)

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I had an absolute blast. It was beautiful. This hotel was had a bit of costa rican wildlife which was pretty awesome. The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, they gave me a gorgeous room with the view of the ocean. This was my first time in the country by myself. The hotel and staff made me feel right at home. I would recommend this to family and friends. The best part was loancy who made me laugh and had so much energy to keep the guests entertained. He was knowledgable and answered all my questions. Kudos loancy. The next time I come to costa rica this would be my place to stay and visit my friends at the occidental grand papagayo. Costa rica's best kept secret!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank ria020739
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I don't know where the 4 and 5 star reviews are coming from and am assuming that our taste and standards must be at a higher par than those that wrote those reviews. But this resort was not only run down but the service was the worst and there were kids on the property (it advertises to be an adult only resort).

My husband and I were celebrating our bday/honeymoon and emailed this resort to let them know so that they can really be on top of their service and maybe give us a little more honeymoon specific attention. We arrived on the property having to drag our own suitcases into the lobby. No one greeted us or took our luggage away so we can start to relax. Most resorts are on top of this and it's a great entry point to a fab vacation. We took note but didn't make a big deal. They assigned our first room (which was far from the pool and lobby area) and it had double beds - you'd think that my email would have been acknowledged and noted in the system. We called the desk and they said that the other room (which was further away) was not ready for another hour. So we went to the pool (which is really a sad sight) and was there for 2 hours. We went to the lobby to find out that that room was not ready yet. Now we were getting a little heated. The FD manager, Cynthia (horrible service rep) gave us a room that is ready and closer to the pool/lobby. That room was okay for 30 minutes. I unpacked, took a shower, and started to relax. Then I looked up to the wall/ceiling and there was a swarm of ants that started to migrate to the walls, ceiling, and curtains. I lost my composure and asked to be moved to yet another room. Finally the last room was decent. A bit run down as there were cracks in the tiles and mold around the sink edges but much better than an ant filled room. We realized that we had another 5 days on this property so we had to make the best out of the trip. So we decided to get off the property as much as we can and enjoy the rest of the vacation.

So after moving into another room, being that we were inconvenienced 4x and it was a very bad start to our honeymoon and bday, NOT ONCE did Cynthia apologize or ask us about our new room. Nor did they event think to make good by offering us something special after the inconvenience. She literally ignored us - which displays TERRIBLE IF NOT THE WORSE service I have ever experienced. I run a spa so I deal with client services daily so having to stay on this resort and never being accommodated was such a poor excuse of a business.

Every time we asked for something we either got a NO or a later. Nothing was ever accommodated to us right away nor did the staff even care about their guests. We always felt that we were an inconvenience to them and they never wanted to serve us. Of course there were a few exceptions: Juan at the FD was great, the staff that hosted activities by the pool, and all the servers in the buffet were very pleasant. Also the bartender in the lobby bar was great, too.

But overall, I AM WARNING YOU TO BOOK ANOTHER RESORT. This is SO NOT worth the money and you will only regret your decision that you chose this over the other. TRUST ME. WE tried to book another resort on the first day we arrived but realized that we just had to make the best out of it since the room was already paid for.

WE rarely take vacations so we want to make sure it's a great one and when you book an all inclusive you want to make sure you get the best service and food. THIS RESORT DOES NONE OF THE ABOVE. So save your money and do not book here. This place needs to shut down!

Room Tip: no need to book the deluxe ocean view. not worth the extra money.
8  Thank JChan33
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My bf and I had a great time here. We booked the Honey Moon Package and we received more than some amenities a great atention from all the hotel staff. It meets all we needed for an excellent vacation as a couple. With a very good location close to Liberia Airport and Coco Village, European Menu and several a La Carte Restaurants this is the perfect getaway in Papagayo Gulf without kids running around us..

1  Thank Abner Antonio C
Reviewed April 18, 2014

i just return from costa rica ,stayed there for only 4 days but were the best experience ever...great staff,everybody so helpful ,nice....so I really recommend this resort....PURA VIDA...REALMENTE DISFRUTE MUCHO MI ESTADIA EN EL RESORT GRAND PAPAGAYO....FUERON LOS 4 DIAS MAS LINDOS,LA GENTE SUPER NICE ,SIEMPRE CON UNA SONRISA...

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed at this lovely resort in May , we were told it was Rainey season so we kind of worried about that but once we arrived our worries were gone when it does rain it's for 20 minutes and then it's beautiful again. Our check in was quick and the escorted us to our rooms when they were ready. The setup of the resort is great but more for an active in shape person there are a lot of stairs and hills to get to your room. But they do have a transport buggy to bring you to your room if you were to tired or drunk to walk. We were in a bungalow right in front of the ocean it was beautiful. The room was cold and clean. Food was average but the wait staff were great and got you what you needed. The beach was beautiful dark volcanic sand and had a great reef but you needed to go down to it when the tide was out later in the day. We found that there was so much to do off the resort we spent little time there but when we did it was enjoyable. I would recommend going in May the weather was great and it wasn't crowded with tourists. We found a private tour guide who did an amazing job and made the trip wonderful. Would recommend this hotel everything that you need for an amazing vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the out buildings they are quieter and have a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Just returned from Costa Rica with a two week stay at this hotel...loved it! Staff was warm and helpful...food was pretty good, lots of choice and fresh salad/fruit, grounds are beautiful and although you walk (if you choose not to take the shuttle which was readily available) the resort is full of interesting wildlife to experience while you make your way....the exercise was also welcomed....maid service was prompt and totally efficient. We have travelled extensively and would gladly repeat our stay here.

One piece of advice...do not eat at the Player's Restaurant at the airport.....two small bowls of Kraft Dinner (listed as Mac and cheese) .... Two small orders of fries and a minced battered fish (listed as fish and chips) ...one water and three pop...$107 US (with exchange will be about $120 CAN)....lesson learned, priceless!

Room Tip: Building 1 was great!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sueml53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Occidental Papagayo - Adults only? Share your experiences!