We went with friends for a week at the Occidental Papagayo. It was a blast and we enjoyed every minute of it.
Things we liked:
1) The scenery at and around the resort is lovely.
2) The weather in January and February was perfect. Warm, sunny but not stinky hot.
3) Friendly staff and people. On and off the resort it was nice to see happy accommodating people.
4) Things to do. There are a million things to do off the resort. I would recommend the Monte Verde cloud forest trip , the Palo Verde river trip (go in the morning and get out before the majority of the boats) and the afternoon sunset catamaran cruise.
5) Wildlife. Birds a plenty, iguanas, monkeys, crocodiles (on the boat trip), flowers, and more.
6) The sunset walk at 5:00pm ... spectacular way to end the day.
7) Short trip to the airport (30 mins)
8) JohnnyD who sold us excursions for better prices down on the beach
9) Eduardo and his family who sell their home made pottery and other wares at the beach
10) The buffet which was small, nicely decorated, well kept, with good service. People's expectations about food quality vary all over the map but we all enjoyed the variety of food offered and always found something healthy/tasty to eat.
I would definitely recommend this resort and would go again in a flash.
Things to keep in mind.
1) Bring water shoes. There are sea urchins about that you don't want to step on.
2) Bring walking shoes and a rain jacket for the rain forest tour. Men need long pants for the specialty restaurants.
3) For tipping you should bring US one dollar bills with you. There are very few places to get change at the resort.
4) If you like shade, go to the beach and get set up under the trees. The pool has decent shade in the afternoon.
5) Both specialty restaurants are worth eating at.
6) There are time share sales people who will try to sell you units although compared to other places, it is not overbearing
7) The people selling tours down on the beach are legit and do a good job.
8) Contrary to other reports, I was able to get WIFI in the lobby although it required some patience ('cause it occasionally cuts out)
9) Don't be surprised if a drink order at the beach or pool gets forgotten, they are pretty busy. Do try the drink called 'Sexy Lady' that Harnie makes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Guanacaste on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica,The Adults Only Occidental Papagayo is only at 25 minutes from the Liberia International Airport. This Resort surrounded by nature, boast lush tropical landscape with scenic views of Bahia Culebra in Papagayo Golf.Ideal for couples, honeymooners and adult guest seeking a relaxing getaway. The Occidental Papagayo offers a highly personalized five star all- inclusive experience delivered by an attentive and dedicated staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Barcelo, Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Agoda and getaroom.com so you can book your Occidental Papagayo - Adults only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia