We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Grand Papagayo. We travelled as a group of 12 all in our late 20's/early 30's and one thing we quickly realized is that we were not the right demographic for this resort. We certainly enjoyed ourselves but this is more of a resort for couples. There was also lots of older people.
The resort grounds are beautiful and well looked after. Our room was tastefully decorated and clean. We were in building 1 which is closest to the main building and within quick walking distance. Any other building would be either a longer walk or require you to take the shuttle truck. I would not have wanted to be in any other building. Be prepared for a lot of walking anyways. Since the resort is built into a hillside, there are lots of steps. If you smoke cigarettes, you should be aware of the smoking laws in Costa Rica that prohibit smoking on resort property. You must either go to the driveway or to the beach. (All beaches in Costa Rica are public)
The food was outstanding. I truly enjoyed everything I ate. The main buffet did not offer 50 different choices of main dish like you would expect from a larger resort... But what they did have was well made. The only criticism I have (and it is a big one) is that there is no food available at night. When people are drinking and staying up late there needs to be something even if it is finger sandwiches or leftover pastries from the day. A bag of Doritos in the gift shop Will cost you $10, so bring snacks from home for late night munchies.
The evening entertainment is not a big stage production like you get at other larger resorts, but they have live music in the lobby each night, which was really nice. That goes until the disco opens. They also don't do pool-side crazy games through the day. But they have pool aerobics and wAter volleyball.
If you are a beach person, bring water shoes. Some areas of the beach the sea shells are like gravel.
There is lots of opportunity to see wild life on resort. We saw birds, snakes, monkeys, lizards.
I really enjoyed my time here, Costa Rica is amazing, I would come back to this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Guanacaste on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica,The Adults Only Occidental Papagayo is only at 25 minutes from the Liberia International Airport. This Resort surrounded by nature, boast lush tropical landscape with scenic views of Bahia Culebra in Papagayo Golf.Ideal for couples, honeymooners and adult guest seeking a relaxing getaway. The Occidental Papagayo offers a highly personalized five star all- inclusive experience delivered by an attentive and dedicated staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Occidental Papagayo - Adults only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia