The food is OK. Some of it is great, some of it is bland. The Italian and Oriental restaurants had great food. Schedule as early in the morning as possible to reserve a seat there. The seats go fast. The alcoholic beverages are supposed to be part of the all inclusive price but they don't put enough alcohol in the drinks. The beer and wine are your best bet.
There is no nightlife other than a few singers. There was a guy there who had a great voice. The pool/dance room was virtually empty. Go on some excursions. That was the best part of the trip. We booked through Swiss for the excursions and were able to get the excursion we wanted for less than we would have with cheapcarribean.com We went hiking, horseback riding, volcano mud bath, natural cold and then hot spring and DELICIOUS lunch all for $127 each! Silvia, our guide was EXCELLENT!!!
Also, don't let whatever travel company you are booking through talk you into spending $90 a person to travel from the airport to the hotel and back. There are plenty of cab services there. We paid half the price each-just know that they may try to talk you into doing a sales presentation the next day for a free ride back and half off of excursions. We didn't do the sales presentation through the company that gave us the cheaper cab deal but after looking at the paper they handed me a few days later I saw that we would have had to put a deposit down on a time share prior to the presentation which, according to the paper you could get back after the presentation. That's not something I would have done but hey, to each their own.
Overall, I had a good time but would find a hotel on Coco Beach if I go back. That area has such a cool vibe and lots of shops.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Guanacaste on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica,The Adults Only Occidental Grand Papagayo is only at 25 minutes from the Liberia International Airport. This Resort surrounded by nature, boast lush tropical lanscape with scenic views of Bahía Culebra in Papagayo Golf.Ideal for couples, honeymooners and adult guest seeking a relaxing getaway. The Occidental Grand Papagayo offers a highly persolized five star all- inclusive experience delivered by an attentive and dedicated staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Barcelo, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo by Barcelo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia