We travelled with Air Canada Vacations, mid January 2013 to Occidental Grand Papagayo. I will first start with, as soon as we walked in, no welcome drink, no big deal to me, but we were immediately approached by a salesman, inviting us to a timeshare presentation. We were approached 3 times during the week for timeshare, some people might consider it, if they put some effort into pleasing their guests.
Buffet food is buffet food, but the breakfast is a jackpot....it is poorly designed, where to get eggs made to order, is right in the middle of the buffet, so if you don't want eggs to order, and trying to get other items, feels like you are being rude and cutting in line....
Good luck getting into a la cartes, we did get into Italien, only because it was my husbands b-day, but it was nothing to brang home about, service is poor, food was just ok... i actually preferred buffet food.
Room was average, we did get our fridge stocked every two days, except on the day before leaving, i guess they wanted to save it, but i made 4 calls to reception and they did fill it.
The beach is ok, there isn't much snorkelling going on there, it's a rock , there is no coral reef, (at least in the front, where i saw the resort do snorkelling tours) when the tide is up, not many fish, visibly is bad...so if you have snorkelled elsewhere, don't bother taking your snorkel gear, you are wasting weight and room in your suitcase.
Pool: I could not believe how small the pool was for the amount of rooms in this resort....it can be very crowded in the pool and around. I normally don't do the pool thing, when there is a beach, but when tide is high, there is no beach left, and the wind was so bad, it was a sand storm at times on the beach.
The resort is very secluded, no where to walk too.... it is too bad they don't have bicyles, and taxis are 40 bucks to town, no matter what, i tried finding a deal, i did get a bit of one, asking locals on the beach to phone me a cab, and i paid 30 return.
Drinks are fabulous on this resort, not watered down, they have pretty well anything that i could think of, and the staff in bars and restaurants are wonderful.
One BIG problem, is the size of the buffet, there are not many seats, maybe 60-70, only guessing, and the resort holds over 300 people, so when you want to eat, you may not be able too, line ups for buffet, breakfast and dinner, so you line up to give your room number, then asked to wait in the lobby til they call you, we waited up to 45 minutes on evening, and the resort wasn't at capacity. I could not imagine being there peak season, the host at the buffet had given her notice that week, as she could no longer handle all the guests yelling at her, because they had to wait to get a seat in buffet.
The wildlife around resort is great, i got up early every morning to see the monkeys down on the beach, and one morning they were right by the snack bar, and one day i saw a coati go into someone's bag at the pool and steal someone, so if people are missing items, there are no people thieves, just the animals...haha
Last but not least.....Tours: We booked all our tours from JD aventures on the beach, better prices and not with a big crowd, you don't have to stop at the other resort to pick up others....we booked one, and had the most wonderful tour guide, Mike, so once we had Mike, we booked 2 other tours with him....and lucky for us, we were suppose to have 4 others on the tour, but they no-showed so we had private tours with Mike all week, and well worth every penny.
I would return to Costa Rica, but one thing that really bothers me and still does, is the street dogs, i know they are everywhere, but in a country where they preach, save the rainforest and have national parks and protect this and that and the other, but no one cares about the street dogs, to the point where i saw a local in Liberia, kick one, i wanted to kick him....and then i saw another lady feed him, so i know there are some good souls in Costa Rica, I just wish they could focus just a little on the animals that are so dependant on us, it is not there fault they are on the street.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Guanacaste on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica,The Adults Only Occidental Papagayo is only at 25 minutes from the Liberia International Airport. This Resort surrounded by nature, boast lush tropical landscape with scenic views of Bahia Culebra in Papagayo Golf.Ideal for couples, honeymooners and adult guest seeking a relaxing getaway. The Occidental Papagayo offers a highly personalized five star all- inclusive experience delivered by an attentive and dedicated staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Barcelo, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Hotel.de, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Occidental Papagayo - Adults only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia