Occidental Papagayo - Adults only
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Costa Smeralda(Gulf of Papagayo)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Condovac la Costa(Playa Hermosa)
  • Pool
Hotel El Velero(Playa Hermosa)
Villa Acacia(Playa Hermosa)
Hotel ManGaby(Playa Hermosa)
View Hotel
Villa del Sueno(Playa Hermosa)
3,615 results
All reviewsroyal clubsnack barthe oriental restaurantfirst clubsunset walkcosta ricathe grillguest serviceshigh tidemain buildingour honeymoonevery other daya la carte restaurantsfun clubocean viewair canadabeach towels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The price was affordable, I thought. I stayed at Occidental Grand Papayago from Oct.29-Nov2. The grounds were beautiful. But it stops there. I thought guest services were very unfriendly. The were so focused on selling an excursion off of the resort. After checking into the room around lunchtime, I went to the buffet and had a very mediocre lunch. I then went to the pool to relax and have a few drinks. It usually took 15-20 minutes to get a drink unless you tipped the person each time. This is supposed to be an ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT with taxes and tips included. NOT. I tried to make reservations for dinner at either of the ALA CARTE restaurants for Wednesday and Thursday nights, but both nights were fully booked. Note, I checked in on Monday. Maybe since I was a single traveler, the TIP would not be as much so they claim it was booked up. The room was clean (building 200) and it was supposed to be an oceanview room. The ocean was a good 300 yards away so the only view was the building that handed out beach towels and the Snack bar. In the evening I tried to take a hot shower. No not water. Called for someone to look at it in the morning, When the guy arrived, all of a sudden there was hot water. Later that night when i went to get a shower, there was hot water in the sink, but not the shower. Called again and they said someone would look at it in the morning. Again, when he arrived, there was hot water again. Must have conveniently opened the hot water valve again. Same thing every morning. The website says there are 4 bars. One at the lobby, one at the disco, which doesn't open until 7PM, one be the pool, which you could not sit. It was a service bar and one down the path to the ocean, which was deserted and never open. Again, spend your money at a different ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: No good rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My trip was too short, but the hotel delivered what was needed; nice room, friendly staff and a great, relaxing view. The hotel hosted the wedding of a close friend and everything went off without a hitch. Excellent spot for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Building 20 has great views
Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank TarikAmin
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I organized a group to this property for a wedding on October 20th. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating & catered to the group. The rooms are big, facilities are clean, but nothing beats the personal. Thank you all for making us feel welcomed in your country. Special thanks to Alex from Swiss Travel Transfers, the little girl who works nights in the buffet restaurant (went the extra mile to make sure the group was seated comfortably) & of course Harold in the events department. You have our gratitude sir.

- Omar "The Big O" Hamilton

Room Tip: Go on any tour. They are all good, but zip lining in Costa Rica gets rave reviews.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Omar H
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I are First Club members of Occidental- we have been to 3 of their other properties in Aruba, Punta Cana and XCaret (all which were great with Aruba and Mexio being our favorites)- this one would be our least favorite...but not because it's bad, it just needs some improvements- which I think will come in the future according to the workers we spoke to. First, if you just are looking for an average place to get away and relax and not looking for a party place - then you will be just fine...here is my more in depth overview:

- The food and meals need to be improved, not a large selection but could be very difficult if you were a picky eater. I would recommend bringing some snacks with you in case you get hungry during the day or night. some chips etc. will help.

- If you go to the theme restaurants: We liked the Chilean Sea bass at the oriental. You just have to remember their version of Orietnal and Italian food is not like America's version, so don't have high expectations. If you like desserts- we only encountered a good one the entire trip- chocolate cake at the Italian- seriously- desserts are no good at any of the places BOO!

- Alcohol selections at all bars on the property were good- even some top shelf offerings for everyone. (Even if your not part of the First Club.

- Employee engagement- I felt the front desk folks when you walk in were not very observant kind of odd...they often seemed like they were too busy. BUT the bar employees were always nice. Servers in the restaurants were hit or miss. My biggest recommenation as I always recommend- bring a few singles and tip the good servers- they will go above and beyond for you the entire week! I know your at an all inlcusive- but if you can afford an all inclusive you can surely afford to bring a few singles to those that are good to you.

- First Club-the bar for members is nice- nothing amazing, but nice view and all top shelf liquor. We spent every night up there after dinner for martinis. they do have one computer with internet for members. Andrew is a nice guy that oversees Members Services and Juan the employee if very accomodating. Make sure you meet him- he makes you feel really welcome! If only they would train the other employees witht their same attitude and service it would make the place POP even more!

-Pool- not huge, but fine. Much to do at the pool- good activty staff.

- Room- we had a suite- it was small, simple, First Club members are given 4 bottles of spinning liquor. Has a patio with 2 chairs. I found that I had to use my bottle of OFF during the day because the small bugs here/there bite. The bed was fine- nothing spectacular. We did encouter 3 couples that were orginally in the hotel room and asked to be upgraded to the suite- most things we heard about the hotel room was they were really old. If you book the hotel room-you may want to confirm you will be a newer remodeled room. Also- don't leave anything sweet on the counter tops in your room and you will find that little bugs will appear- they like the sweet smell.,

-Remember your in Costa Rica- so you will encounter wildlife on the property- we saw coati, racoon, birds,wild dogs etc. It's not a bad thing- but you have to be the kind of person that likes the wild.

Beach- small- and not that nice-but PLEASE know we were here during rainy season so going to the beach was not always an option. We heard it's a nice beach when not rainy season.

Overall- fine place if you want to relax and discconnect from your ipad, iphone, lpatop etc. Bring a good book. snacks, playing cards and good company and you will enjoy! THIS IS NOT a place to go wild- lots of couples and honeymooners looking to relax and enjoy each other's company.It's a remote location with the closest town about 10 miles away. We did see alot of people renting cars- which I think I would recommend. Also, the place is all incline and stairs so bring good walking shoes! It's a workout!

Would we go back- if it was a good deal and cheap flight-sure. Would it be our first choice location of the Occidentals- no.

Again, no frills, and 3.5 because the sercive was good.

Room Tip: Suite room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My best friend and I went here for 2 weeks. The only thing that made me stay for the 2 weeks was that it was paid for. In the first 2 days of being there we had to switch rooms 3 times. The first time the patio door did not lock, no hot water, and we asked for two double beds and got one large bed. So we switched rooms. The next room we got took 2 hours to get it. When we got there the curtains were literally falling off of the wall and was held up by barley anything. Finally the switched us again. When we got to our last room everything was fine but the tv did not work. We were so fed up from switching and getting the same problem. There were other guests there that had the same troubles as us. You would think they would check rooms before putting guests in there. Also you are in the middle of no where and the closest place to actually go is a 40 dollar cab ride. But on the plus side the staff is very friendly and understanding. They did give my friend and I free massages for all the problems that we had. Overall I had a good time because I was in Costa Rica but disappointed that we had so many issues with our rooms.

• Stayed: June 2012
6  Thank Jasmine603
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Papagayo - Adults only, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Jasmine603,

I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at our property and understand your frustration. We take guest feedback to heart, and appreciate your review. All guests are treated to genuine hospitality, and we do our best to advise them on all services and amenities that are available to make their stay most enjoyable.
In regards to the room´s issues, we’re constantly improving our hotel. For example, we’re upgrading our amenities with plasma TVs, air conditioning and heating units, lamps and curtains. I’ve also shared your feedback with the general manager, as we’re continuously looking for ways to enhance the experience for our guests.
I’ve also discussed your experience with our staff, to let them know your very kind comments in regards to their service. I do hope you’ll give us a second chance to provide an incredible stay in Costa Rica.

Kind regards.