“all inclusive royal club”

Occidental Papagayo - Adults only
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Georgia
“all inclusive royal club”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I would not recommend upgrading to the royal club as we have stayed there twice before just as regular all inclusive. We had two rooms-one had no hot water and one had no sink plug and the toilet did not drain. They had fixed two of the problems before we left but in my opinion if it was well managed we should not have encountered those types of problems. The food and the spa were very good. Please note if you stay in building 8 they have put a red stain on the floor that gets on everything and is very difficult to get off.

Room Tip: Stay in a room that does not have that red stain.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Pilotdoc
HARODEL, Manager at Occidental Papagayo - Adults only, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Pilotdoc,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. The satisfaction of our guests is always our goal and it appears we fell short of this.

Regarding repairs, our maintenance team is typically quick and efficient and I’ve discussed this with the manager to ensure requests are being addressed within a timely manner. Also, we’re always looking to improve our resort and are currently renovating oI apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at our property and can understand your concerns with the room; we’re constantly improving our hotel. For example we’re renovating our bathrooms, refreshing our guestrooms with fresh and enhancing guestrooms with updated amenities including paint, and adding new amenities including plasma TVs and new air , conditioning, heating units. and decorations.

I am glad that your enjoyed our restaurants and Sspa services, and hope that we can welcome you back to Costa Rica. and the food in our Hotel. I shared your comments with our Executive Chef and Food/Beverage manager as well. We’re always looking to enhance the culinary experience for guests. Our food is made fresh daily. We strive to offer guests a variety of options, and offer the L’Buffet, The Italian and D’Oriental restaurants.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Polish first
SCARBOROUGH
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We were impressed with the welcome drink, but from there it went downhill.
The 1st lunch was mediocre and we thought because we were late.
Our room had barely any furniture/safe. After waiting for 2 hours for the Duty Mgr . I got another room with no mirrors and most lights broken.So we picked up the furniture and moved back to the first room, only to find out at night that the ac was broken and the next morning that the room did not even lock.. We came with 8 ,the other rooms were so so. I confronted the Duty Mgr and demanded he fix my problem. Got a another room, but still toilet leaking and no toiletroll holder. These things could be easily fixed.
The buffet had a very poor variety and dishes were repeated over and over again. Very sparse and very stingily served. Food was tasty. Barely any dessert /Ice Cream The buffet is actually too small for the big hotel, so we had to wait often for a table. The layout of the property is not well suited for the old/handicapped,as there are a lot of stairs. The service and drinks in the bars were excellent. Lots of cocktails to chose from with int'l liquors.
Just don't understand they close the poolbar at 5PM , so you have to climb all the stairs to get drink. The beach is always wet because of the tide. The waiters do come all the way to the beach for service. We used Larry (at the beach) for our tours. He is quite informative and helpfull. The nightly entertainment was a joke. a couple of times a 1-man band in the lobby
We had much better in Dominican and even Cuba

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ben V
Dear Ben G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’m sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, as our goal is to always make guests feel at home.
I’ve discussed your review with our housekeeping and maintenance teams, as they are to inspect and clean rooms daily and complete repairs within a timely manner. We’re always looking to improve our resort and are currently undergoing a renovation. We’re replacing the tiles in our bathroom, updating our amenities with plasma TVs and new air conditioning and heating units, and more.
In regards to our food, we do our best to offer a wide variety with the L’ Buffet and our two a la carte restaurants: The Italian and D’ Oriental. As part of our renovation, we’ll be adding more stations to the L’Buffet, so that guests have even more variety to choose from and less wait time. The cuisine changes nightly as well, so that guests are experiencing something different with each visit. The L’ Buffet is very popular among our guests, especially during peak season. I’ll review your feedback with our food and beverage manager to see how we can expedite the wait time.
Our resort is located in a hilly area which provides exceptional views. We will certainly do our best to accommodate guests who request the first floor or need extra assistance. We also have handicap accessible rooms and provide a shuttle service on property; this service is available from 6:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. every day.
We do our best to provide guests with a tropical oasis. It’s a tranquil experience that many enjoy. We do offer live music twice a week, and I will share this with our general manager to consider additional options.

Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My husband and I were at the OGP April 21-27, 2012. It was amazing! The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The landscaping/grounds were breathtaking. Everything is so natural, we truly felt like we were in Costa Rica instead of some man-made place. It was amazing to hear the birds, frogs, etc. in their natural habitat.

The room we stayed in (a basic room, no fancy view) was very nice. The bed was very comfortable and I loved the extremely roomy bathroom. The only problem is that we were given two water bottles when we checked in. We quickly gulped those down because it is extremely hot and humid in Costa Rica. I called the front desk/reception SEVERAL times for them to bring us more, but they never did, even when they said "Yes, yes right away!" I probably called 5 times over the course of 2 days to get extra water. It is extremely hot in Costa Rica, we need the water!!!!

The food was excellent. The Oriental had AMAZING sushi, absolutely amazing. Best sushi ever--especially the ones with the plantains on top! The buffet always had several healthy and light choices that were fresh. The only problem we had is that you had to make reservations for the Italian and the Oriental. That is kind of annoying (but the food was really really good).

The beach was amazing...very tropical. You could walk 5 minutes down the beach and pretty much have it all to yourselves. Snorkeling was amazing--we saw all kinds of amazing sealife (octopus, stingrays, colorful fish, etc) and we literally were right off the shore.

This place was great! We loved it! The Costa Rican people are WONDERFUL!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Farah B
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at the OGP June 25th through July 1st.Unlike soem travellers, we could not have been more pleased with this resort. We were a family of five adults and two children, in three rooms. We were very pleased with our room accommodations. We stayed in Bldg 6, and had a spectacular view from our room. The rooms were very clean and well-maintained. The grounds are beautiful, well kept and very tropical, like a beautiful well cared for garden. The beach was dark sand with scattered coral. Snorkeling was ok, obviously not as good as the Atlantic side of the country. It was rainy season, it rained a couple of time in the afternoon, a typical tropical pattern.

The resort was not crowded at all. We ate most meals at the Buffet restaurant, and we were very pleased with quality and the variety of the food. The buffet is combination of Costa Rican and American food, including many local fruits and vegetables. For breakfast, they had a table where you could make your own Bloody Marys, Mimosas or Screwdrivers. The coffee was strong, but it’s some of the best coffee I’ve ever had anywhere in the world.

The food at the snack bar (burgers, hot dogs, nachos, etc.) was adequate but again, had exceptional service. There is no swim-up bar at the pool, but the bar in the snack area was very close for drinks and the bartenders were quick, friendly and always accommodating. Liquor were top American brands. The best thing about the OGP is the staff. The service was outstanding. You were constantly asked if you needed anything and any request was fulfilled quickly

We booked several tours, at the hotel, with Central America Tours (CAT) and would highly recommend them. We took the Jungle River cruise(amazing), the River Rafting and the zip-lining. Also, we used the spa and were very impressed.

We encountered the friendliest people of any country we have been too. Most Costa Ricans speak at least some English and most exceptionally well. US dollars are accepted everywhere.

Room Tip: Bldg 6 had the best rooms, overlooking the entire resort with the bay in the background. Spectacular...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Bill38360
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have been travelling around Costa Rica for some time now and I had never experienced such a poor hotel. This is the first time I have ever felt I wanted a full refund. We had a security issue and the head of security denied it and was increadibly disrespectful. Later on they kicked out my guest, she was not even allowed to SIT on the beach chairs, after eating in their restaurant because she was not a guest! It is overpriced, food is nothing out of this world. To make it worse, the beach and rooms were infested with bugs and mosquitos. I wouldnnot recommend it and i will never go back. Worst weekend in Costa Rica so far.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Carol R
HARODEL, Manager at Occidental Papagayo - Adults only, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Carol R,

I’m sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. I will contact you directly today via TripAdvisor to discuss your stay.

I’m surprised by your experience your guest had on our beach, as it is open to the public. I do apologize for any inconvenience this caused and will discuss it with our staff to ensure proper protocol is followed.

Regarding the guest rooms, our housekeeping staff works very hard to inspect and clean them daily. We are located in a tropical climate and have a strict proactive pest control procedure in place, so that our guests are comfortable when staying at our resort. Of course, I’ve discussed your comments with our housekeeping manager to review with the staff.

I’m saddened to hear your opinion of our beach, since we’ve been the recipients of the Ecological Blue Flag award which is given to beaches on coastal communities committed to preserving the natural beauty of Costa Rica's coastline.

I’ve also shared your comments with our food and beverage manager, as we’re always looking for ways to enhance the culinary experience for guests.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Staff was extemely, but outside of the bar, the disco and the snack bar, they could not be counted. It was pulling teeth to get the mini bars in the rooms refilled, though the rooms were very clean and roomy. Staff in the Buffet was slow to refill selections on the buffet, including being out of lettuce for over an hour on more than 1 occassion. If you wanted something more than water, it was best to get it at the bar and bring it to the buffet, because you might not ever get a drink.

I went with my wife, my sister and her kids and my parents.

1 room had no water pressure at all the first night and their mini fridge didnt work at all, even after they plugged it in.

Another room had to plug in their mini fridge to get it to work because it was unplugged. This same also did not have the AC on when we checked in, so it tooks over an hour before they could really even use the room.

The 2 signature restaruants were better than the buffet but not by much, and that is if you can get into them. If you want the chance to eat in these, you better arrive on Saturday or Sunday, as the bookings for Mon thru Friday are made starting Monday morning at 7 am, are gone shortly after.

The oriental restaruant had descent food, a very nice atmosphere, was extremely clean, and the staff was courtious as always.

The italian restaruant was a complete dissapointment. My tuna was fishy tasting, and 3 other meals at our table came out cold, like they had been sitting forever in the back.

My family had a total of 4 rooms on this trip that were all supposed to be ocean view. Yes, you could see the ocean from all the rooms, but only barely because you had to look through the gaps in the trees. I understand that all the trees is part of what makes Costa rica so beautiful, but I would expect an ocean view to have at least decent view of ocean, and none of the rooms here, as we walked around to the other area too, seemed to have a descent ocean view.

The people of Costa Rica are amazing even in town. It is without a doubt the friendliest country I have been too. For english speakers and Americans the country is even better to visit. Everywhere we went the locals spoke english and most exceptionally well. Also, everywhere we went, they accepted USD currency.

My wife and I are planning a return trip in a couple of years because we loved the beautiful country and amazing people so much. All I can say is that we will spend a couple of hunder dollars more to stay somewhere else next time instead.

Room Tip: Do not waste your money on ocean view rooms. From some of the ocean view rooms there is no view of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Shawn C
Dear Shawn C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. Our goal is to always make our guests feel at home, and it seems we fell short on that during your stay. I will follow up with you today via TripAdvisor to discuss your experience.

I’m’ sorry to hear about the issues you encountered with our rooms . Our housekeeping and maintenance teams typically work very hard to inspect, clean and complete repairs within a timely manner. I’ve reviewed this with both team s to ensure this is being followed. Also, we’re currently undergoing a renovation and upgrade our amenities including the air conditioning units.

I’ve discussed your feedback about our restaurants and service with our executive chef and our food and beverage manager as we’re always looking to enhance our cuisine. Our two a la carte restaurants require reservations, and we always recommend making them upon check-in. These reservations help us better serve our guests and allows each guest the opportunity to dine at all of our restaurants. As part of the renovation, the L’Buffet will have more buffet stations, so that guests have even more variety to choose from and less wait time. The cuisine of L’Buffet changes nightly as well, so that guests are experiencing something different with each visit.

Our secluded location provides guests with the opportunity to experience the natural beauty of Costa Rica and we maintain the landscape of our resort in order to protect the environment. In regards to the ocean view, we wish we could provide all our guests with full ocean views. However this can be a challenge, especially during peak seasons.

We do hope that you will give us a second chance and to experience our enhancements.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2012

For price and value this is a great hotel and vacation, if you're expectation is a 4+, 5 or 6 star you will be sorely dissappointed. The grounds are beautiful, well kept and very natural/tropical. The beach is brown sand creeping with small crustaceans and littered with broken coral brought in by the tides. The water warm and not very Carribean like but hey you should know this before you book a pacific coast vacation and appreciate it for what it is. The pool is passable, not spectacular as resorrt pools go and yes you must get up out of the pool to get a drink most of the time. The rooms are large and clean, mustiness is there but with the constant humidity i would think it near impossible to eliminate. Service in the restaurants is quite good, staff very friendly and helpful. Food is not typical NA fare, but again one is not in NA, my only complaint with the food is that they are located on the pacific ocean and there was not 1 shrimp, scallop, calamari or other shell fish found in any dish or salad, very, very peculiar even Cuban restaurants provide good assortment of sea food. Anyways Costa Rica is the many day trips it offers, and from the ones we experienced and others raved about they did not leave anyone short. The resort offered very good trips and if they failed to have what you wanted Jaime and Larry on the beach were there to fulfill your needs. Very friendly, trustworthy guys who will set you up and not dissappoint. Ranks as one of our best trips, lacking in a few respects but more then making up for it in many other ways. The mega one day Spa tour, horseback, zip lining mud bath and hot springs will not be forgotten. Enjoy Costa Rica and the hotel for what it is.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Occidental Papagayo - Adults only? Share your experiences!