We spent the last week of our honeymoon at the Grand Papayago. We had a wonderful time. Our room was so cute upon arrival as the maids had "built" a heart with two swans made out of towels. There were also flowers scattered on the bed and in the bathroom. Our bracelets identified us as honeymooners so it was fun to have people congratulating us all week.
The room was great...our view was amazing. We had an ocean view and every morning we woke up (to the birds and monkeys) and the view of the ocean. So amazing and beautiful.
Each day the maids did some other cute animal made out of towels or some design with our bed covers. It was always fun to return to our room.
The food was quite good. The Oriental restaurant is excellent. THe Italian is ok but not as good. The first night we ate there and weren't impressed so we tried again later in the week and had a better experience but still not great. The buffet is quite good and almost hit or miss. The breakfast was great every day and you always have the option of an omelette. Lunch was also fine although we missed it most days due to day long tours. Dinner was great on a few occasions and mediocre on some days. Sunday night was the worst...I think the resort had cleared out for the most part so it seemed they were serving the leftovers from earlier in the week. I wised at some points that there was a place to buy a meal just to avoid the buffet. The best part of the buffet was the girl who took your name down to get in...she was so friendly and happy.
The snack bar by the pool was great. The bartenders were so friendly and knew what drinks we would order by the second day we were there. The food was also kept warm and quite fresh there.
The beach was nice and quick walk from the pool.
The entire staff was incredibly accomodating and helpful. One day our tour was late and the front desk called to make sure we hadn't been forgotten.
Both bars (Lobby and Disco) was great and we had a lot of fun playing pool in the Disco.
Swiss Travel was great for all our tours. We did the canopy which was a blast and a few tours of rain forest hiking. The white water rafting was the best though. If you're up for it, I definitely suggest it. THe rapids are class 3 and 4 and one of the rapids is a 12 foot drop but it's totally worth it. Especially if you get the cd of pictures...such a blast to relive it.
Costa Rica is a beautiful country. We were surpised at how undisturbed everything is even though they have so many tourists. Many of the tours didn't even appear to be a "tourist" area like we think of in the US. Even white water rafting...you got dropped off to a 4 wheel drive vehicle where you drove 4 miles up and around into the middle of the forest and then hiked down the river.
It was also great to be able to use American money as they take it everywhere. We didn't have any language barriers either as everyone in Costa Rica speaks English.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Guanacaste on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica,The Adults Only Occidental Papagayo is only at 25 minutes from the Liberia International Airport. This Resort surrounded by nature, boast lush tropical landscape with scenic views of Bahia Culebra in Papagayo Golf.Ideal for couples, honeymooners and adult guest seeking a relaxing getaway. The Occidental Papagayo offers a highly personalized five star all- inclusive experience delivered by an attentive and dedicated staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Occidental Papagayo - Adults only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia