I just got back from a 4 night stay (Nov 23-27th) at the Occidental Grand ... The hotel was very clean and pretty, and the staff were very helpful and accomodating. I read a few negative reviews on here prior to my trip in regards to the staff, food, and stairs....basically here is what I have to say...For myself as a health-conscious person and my boyfriend who is a big eater..we both thought the food was great...there was always a variety to choose from, and for an all inclusive the alcholic drinks were tasty and had plenty of alcohol in them. As far as the amount of stairs at the resort...i didnt mind it at all....but again I'm a very active person and I'm not suffering from any medical conditions..if you are someone who has difficulty climbing stairs and hills, than I suggest you consider other options. The beaches are decent. much more rustic than what some may be used to, but again, Costa Rica is not known for their beaches; its a destination in which is very unique and adventurous.
As far as acitivites..the pool area was always active during the morning and afternoon..unfortunately we never had time to lounge by the pool due to the tours we signed up for. We booked through Swiss Travels, which has an office at the hotel...We did the Arenal Volcano/Cotere Rainforest/Hotsprings tour...it was well worth the $110 a person....but be advised its a long day 730 am -10pm.... We also did horseback riding with Charlies Tours, and the half-day canopy tour....all activities were excellent!!!!
Costa Rica is home to plenty of wildlife which was great to see. Monkeys were easy to spot high up in trees, there were plenty of colorful birds and butterflies around, and lizards too. There are a lot of stray animals in CR and some cats and a dog on the hotel property. Do not be alarmed though...the stray dog is very cute and friendly, but if your an animal lover (like myself) you'll feel bad for her *yes its a girl*!
Other info: Taxi's are everywhere outside of the airport and at the hotel...so we didnt feel the need to rent a car...bring conditioner in 3oz containers when you pack, because the hotel does not give you conditioner in the room, and at the gift shop they only sell the 2 in 1 packets.
My boyfriend and I agreed that this resort was very nice...the only gripe we really had was that after 10:30 pm, there was no chance of getting anything to eat anywhere...and after we spent 13 hours on a tour, and ate at 5pm we were a little hungry...so my advice would be to pack some snacks just in case of situations like that. Oh and yes the mosquito's are awful..but thats how it is in the caribbean too!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Guanacaste on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica,The Adults Only Occidental Grand Papagayo is only at 25 minutes from the Liberia International Airport. This Resort surrounded by nature, boast lush tropical lanscape with scenic views of Bahía Culebra in Papagayo Golf.Ideal for couples, honeymooners and adult guest seeking a relaxing getaway. The Occidental Grand Papagayo offers a highly persolized five star all- inclusive experience delivered by an attentive and dedicated staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Barcelo, Odigeo, Hotwire and Hotels.com so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo by Barcelo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia