“incredible, relaxing romantic getaway”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Detroit,Michigan
“incredible, relaxing romantic getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2007

This would be our Sixth destination with the Four Seasons Resort Chain and we were not disappointed. After a 7 hours flight from Michigan, a air conditioned suburban met us at the airport with refreshments and cold towels to start the trip off on the right. No hassles with check in and loved our accomodations. Our room faced the ocean, yet had a view of beautiful trees and vegetation on the property. Every morning we enjoyed breakfast on our screened in patio(same funny hospitable waiter) while watching numerious humingbirds and butterflies. As some of the other reviews state... yes, the food is on the expensive side but is very good. Our favorite restaurant was the Italian restaurant. We especialy liked the evenings they offered fresh catch at the beach (usually red snapper) filleted on the spot, fixed later tableside. to your liking. This is just one of the nice touches they offer at this resort. If you are a golfer, My husband and I agree this course is fantastic. Breathtaking views from the tee boxes, difficult yet lots fun! It is worth every penny to play. Our favorite memory... viewing milky way at midnight on the beach, million of stars in the sky, hearing monkies in the distance and little hermit crabs at you feet. If you like nature and a romantic destination...this resort is for you!

Stayed May 2006
4 Thank BUCKEYEMI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Granada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2007

What was in all other ways a delightful trip turned sour when I the home I was staying in was burglarized while I slept.

I was a guest in the gorgeous Exclusive Resorts home in the Four Seasons Resort on far west end of the peninsula. It is important to note that this home is the furthest property on the entire resort and is inaccessable except directly through the resort. Early on the morning of the August the 5th, 2007, while I slept, the home was invaded by a burglar who stole my laptop computer, I-pod, and flash memory.

After over an hour and 3 phone calls, Four Seasons security personnel finally arrived to take a report and open an investigation which utimately yielded nothing.

I spoke to the manager of the Four Seasons and Exclusive Resorts personnel both of whom were very apologetic and were quite good at blaming one another for the problem. In all fairness, the manager of the Four Seasons advised me that this was an ongoing problem and that he had advised Exclusive Resorts that they should control entry to their units with a card key system. He stated to me that he had been recommending this since January of 2007 and that he had just finished writing and e-mail to Exclusive Resorts again advising them of another problem which occurred the same day. He told me that he "had no idea how many keys to the Exclusive Resorts homes might be floating around". On the other hand, Exclusive Resorts personnel told me that "nothing like this had ever happened before". Clearly, one of these stories is inaccurate.

In a nutshell, the manager of the Four Seasons told me they are considering dropping all services to Exclusive Resorts because Exclusive Resorts is ignoring their requests to add security devices to their units. Exclusive Resorts whined to me that they pay a huge sum to the Four Seasons to provide security. In the end, the problem was mine.

The most annoying thing about the entire epsisode is that the Exclusive Resorts people asked me to contact them as soon as I was able to determine whether or not my friends who left very early on the morning of the 5th had seen my things in the kitchen where I had left them when they departed. They had said that they would take the lead in following up with the Four Seasons. More than 24 hours after I communicated with Exclusive Resorts personnel that my friends had indeed seen my belongings in the kitchen before they left I was contacted by Four Seasons Security and asked if had learned when my things were last seen. I was shocked that the Exclusive Resorts people had not done what they said they would do.

The second most annoying thing about the episode that Exclusive Resorts personnel asked that I send receipts for the items that were taken. I went to the trouble to find them, scan them, and send them. In one case I had to go to Best Buy in order to get a duplicate receipt. I just recently learned when contacted, finally, by an Exclusive Resorts vice-president that they never had any intention of reimbursement. "It wasn't their policy." Evidently their policy is to get one to jump through hoops in order that one will believe that something will be done with the intention and hope that the victimized guest will "cool off" in the meantime.

Losing one's computer can be a very bad thing. Please think about the importance of you data before doing anything so foolish as dozing off to sleep in an Exclusive Resorts property within the Four Seasons, Peninsula Papagayo, Costa Rica.

You can have a wonderful time at the Four Seasons Resort in Pagayo! Do not make the mistake that because you are in a Four Seasons Resort that you will not be burglarized and if you are do not assume that anything will be done about it.

• Liked — It is beautiful
  • Disliked — The security is terrible
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
29 Thank kirkhankla
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

The Four Seasons Papagayo lives up to the standards of other Four Seasons Resorts we've been to. Absolutely pampering service, Three restaurants on site are very good and range from casual dining to upscale. Expensive as you might expect at a Four Seasons. If you're staying for more than a week, you'll need to look into offsite restaurants to keep the interest up. I recommend the Villa de los suenos, about a 1/2 hour ride which the hotel will arrange for you. If your a family traveling with children, this is the place to go: very good kids center that operates well into the evening. I guess the thing that makes this location unique is the wonderful off-site activities. I heartily recommend the zip-linging, with the closest place only 20 minutes away. There's also a great river cruise - crocodiles, monkeys, snakes - but all seen FROM THE BOAT!! The usual water sports stuff is available too - jet skis, hobi cats, snorkeling trips, etc. There's other environmental activities, some a couple of hours away though. The only slight negative is the beach, which being fed by rainforest runoff is not as sandy as a Caribbean beach, but the water is warm and clear.

• Liked — Quality of service, off-site activities, food, kids camp
  • Disliked — Somewhat remote
4 Thank Chaslosh
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We spent 7 wonderful nights and 8 wondrous days at the Four Seasons Resort in Costa Rica. The staff were gracious and attentive and never hestitated upon any of our requests. There were a number of daily activities on- and off-property that filled our days and nights. Make sure you do the cooking class; its very informative. Every meal was better than the last even the leisure salads and sandwiches at the pool cafe. Breakfast brought a new and exciting freshly squeeze juice each morning from freshly picked native fruits. The spa was tremendous. The staff was very meticulous about meeting our needs and provided for every convenience. Did I already say the staff was simply awesome. By the third day they were calling my husband and I by name. Lastly the golf course and tennis courts are pristine and their attendants are grade A as well. Be sure to take the "Tour of the Giants" which is a tour of the golf course, you're sure to encounter monkeys some where along the way.

My only "complaint" would be some features in the guest rooms. I fully expected high thread-count sheets, extra soft bath robes and flat screen TVs, it is the Four Seasons of course!

• Liked — The staff and the hotel activities.
  • Disliked — The absence of simple luxuries in the guest rooms, i.e. soft sheets, towels and robes and flat screen TVs.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank rleedc
aleal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

this was my first time to central america... me and my family travel a lot and we always have fun... but i never expected this.
the beaches were awesome... the resort has a beach on both sides... one side was shelterd so the water was calm and clear.
the other side was free... it was windy and cold... perfect for water sports.

the wild life was awesome and the food was awesome.
although it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere. there was lots to do.

its lovely, and i hope to go back after i finish traveling to all the other countries in the world... ugh, i love being able to just go.

• Liked — everything.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank aleal
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

Just returned from the Four Seasons Resort in Coast Rica and I must say it exceeded our expectations. Everthing from the time that we got picked up at the airport till the time we departed was one of the best vacation experiences that we have had.

The resort is in a beautiful location with wonderful beaches, pools and grounds. The room was spacious and offered views of the bay. We left the doors to the balcony open each night to listen to the crashing waves. One morning we awoke to the sounds of a family of monkeys moving thru the trees outside our room. The spa was first class. We ate at all the restaurants, but our favorite was Tico's and the fresh sushi. The entire staff was always friendly and willing to do what ever it took to make our stay a pleasant one.

Every day there are several activities offered at the resort. We did the cooking class and the salsa dance lessons. Most of the time was spent relaxing at the pool and beaches.

The golf course provides some of the best views of the property. They have a great deal after 2:00pm for $110.00 18 holes of golf including shoe and club rental. You can also take a golf cart tour of the course that is awsome.

Our two teenage daughters (ages 18/14) spent several hours at the teen center checking email, playing games and watching movies.

Even though it is now the rainy season, it really only rained for a couple of hours on 2 of the 6 days we were there.

We have been to many resorts and vacationed around the world, but the Four Seasons at Papagyo ranks right up there at the top of the list. I would highly recommend for families as there is something to do right on the property for everyone.

We are looking forward to a return trip in the future.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — remote location
8 Thank MAJ48
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2007

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Four Seasons Costa Rica. We had an amazing stay - with a 6 and 8 year old agreeing. The green season is a beautiful time in CR. The landscape is green and lush. It rained for 20 or 30 minutes 3 days that we were there. It did not deter us one bit. During the rain we would just relax in Tico's Lounge and watch the storm move by. We stayed in a one bedroom canopy suite with a plunge pool - Room 1711 - the view was amazing - a full view of the Bay and across to Coco Beach. The food was fine - really good at Carcoal at the golf shop and at Congos. Breakfast was fine. We went on the golf course tour and saw lots of monkeys, a few iguanas, and other wildlife. This is a free tour offered by the hotel and is a must. You drive your own cart though the course with a guide and see amazing views you would not see if you do not play golf. Most of the families we met did the Witches Rock Canopy tour and raved about it. Our youngest was too young - you must be 7. We chartered a boat and went out in the harbour for a ride. We saw lots of giant turtles. One family saw a mother and baby whale - rare this time of year.The pools were great - and amazing service - fruit, cold towels, frozen drinks - all being passed around the pool by the staff. There were tons of kids who went back and forth to the kids center on their own. I highly recommend the FSCR - one of our best trips.

• Liked — Huge and beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — Long walk from Suites to main pools and lobby - or golf cart ride
7 Thank Egwalter
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,032 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!