WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
new jersey
“Did not want to leave!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

I had the pleasure of staying at this resort with my husband and six year old daughter in April 2007 for our tenth wedding anniversary. From the minute we walked into the beautiful open- air lobby, we were greeted by all with smiles, fresh juice and ice cold towels. Our room was not going to be ready right away, so we took our luggage into the spa, changed into our bathing suits and relaxed by the pool with some lunch.

We booked a regular room and were upgraded to an incredible one bedroom suite, up on the mountain overlooking the water. Yes it would have been hard walking up and down that mountain in 95 degree temperatures each day with our daughter, however, they graciously send a golf cart for you anytime you need it.

The service cannot be beat, the property is breathtaking, the pools were clean and quiet, the restaurants were lovely, the kid's club was terrific for our daughter, and the weather was amazing every day. We had a couple of late day downpours, which we welcomed...We sat in the hot tub with our mai tais and enjoyed it until it passed.

Yes, the property is isolated, however, if you do any type of research or reading prior to booking this resort, that is very easy to find out. We also used J and C tours to do our airport transfers...very reliable and reasonable. Juan picked us up in an air-conditioned mini van (just for us) and drove us 40 minutes to the resort.

And yes, the cost of food at the resort is high, but again, this is a Four Seasons and it's expected. The food was good, and Caracol, the restaurant on the golf course is absolutely beautiful.

I would go back tomorrow.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank momof1NewJersey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Lausanne, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2007

I stayed at this property in March 2006 and found it to be very boring. The resort in general is very nice and well managed and food was good. But I felt like I could have been anywhere. The fourseasons is located in a boring region of Costa Rica far away from any point of interest. I took some day trips and found them to be lame. I have stayed at world class hotels in London and Paris and have payed less. If you go to Costa Rica go to the Osa Penninsula.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Wrk1212
boca raton, florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2007

Hotel was absolutely beautiful..a truly georgeous property..Rooms great.. a very relaxing feeling takes over....The service was amazing...Unfortunately I got sick with a bad stomach (I guess Costa Rica's version of Montazuma's revenge)
and that did affect my activity level so I just sat by the pool and one of the staff so was concerned that I was not well he brought some soothing drink for my stomach. (Now that's service) He even stopped me the next day to ask me how I was feeling!!
Spa - wonderful!!
The only downside ..the property is sooo far from alot of the great activities..1-2 hours (one way) by car to national parks and other things..but overall a truly lush, romantic ,relaxing experience!!

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank beauoli
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2007

The location is phenomenal. The surroundings remind me of the Mediterranean. The hotel is beautifully built and wonderfully situated in the lowest part of the peninsula in order to have a beach on either side. The golf course itself and the views from there are awesome. It's actually a much better place to appreciate the location than the resort.
On the negative side, the food was a disappointment and the service was both over-the-top and less than genuine. Evidently the pool staff and I both realized it's ridiculous to have to offer my child a personal face misting, perhaps the Four Seasons could pick up on that as well. The food was overpriced all the way around, which could have been offset if it had been top quality, but it surely was not. The Italian food there was mediocre at best. And the $30 I paid for my kid to eat a very basic breakfast is just insulting, they should be embarrassed by the gouging.
The room are very average for a 5 star resort, not too large and ammenities are just OK.
We actually experienced much better food and much friendlier service at our previous stop, Paradisus Playa Conchal. While certainly less serine, the food and staff were the real deal.
All in all I would make the trip again because the Four Seasons is so much nicer than any other property. I would probably make more careful food choices there and attempt to stay in the Residence Club for more space and a better view, esspecially for the price.

• Liked — The beautiful bays on both sides of the resort
  • Disliked — The average over-priced food
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank duketreg
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

This hotel is very beautiful situated on a penninsula with water on both sides of the resort. The service was extraordinary, the food very good but not great and the rooms very nice. BUT, the walls are too thin. We were there during a February spring school vacation and the place was full of kids (which I found surprising since the rooms were $1000 and up per night). Not that I have anything against kids--except when they are loud at 12-1:00 AM and next door. Of the 7 nights there, half were disrupted by these noisy kids . I dont understand how the hotel could have been built with such thin walls. We complained each of these nights to security who did virtually nothing. The kids did calm down after we knocked on their door and told them to be quiet---each night !
The hotel management was very nice and apologitic but really had not much of an expanation. I have stayed in many Four Seasons Hotels and think they are the best but this one has some problems.

• Liked — beach, sun, pool
  • Disliked — thin walls made room unbearable with noisy kids next door
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank gsstan
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2007

We stayed at the Four Seasons Costa Rica July 2006. It is an easy trip from San Francisco to Houtston and direct to Liberia. We first headed south to Punta Islita for a few days and am glad we finished our trip at the Four Seasons. We rented a SUV for our entire trip and yes the roads are terrible however we enjoed the flexibility of having our own car as the countryside is beautiful. Once you come off the secondary roads onto the Four Seasons property the area becomes manicured and the views of the Penninsula are terrific. The drive from the security point to the hotel is long however you get a feel for the golf course and we counted about 42 staff cleaning and maincuring the resort BEFORE we even got to the hotel. You come to the last gate which looks like Jurrasic Park before you head down to the recepion.

The welcome service was impeccable, although we had a room on the ground level it was huge, well appointed with a private patio and netting to keep out the Iguanas and Monkeys.

The facilities - pool, spa, gym are all excellent, I am so glad I brought my sticks, I believe it ws about $100 for a World Class golf course - think Pebble. After golf we had drinks and apps at the golf course bar which was so good we came back the next night for dinner which was excellent.

Overall the staff was attentive, friendly and sincere without being overbearing. Staff were always bring by smoothies, towels etc by the pool.

Definetely take some classes which are included such as dancing, tennis, snorkeling and cooking classes were all great.
Having had the opprtunity to stay at several Four Seasons properties in the US, this experience was easily the best. The Food was good overall, Di-Mare dinner was very good, coffee there is excellent .

I proposed to my girlfriend there and the staff went out of their way to help me set it up - what a memory. A trip of a lifetime, will be tough to duplicate however going to try the Four Seasons resorts in Thailand for our honeymoon.

Go, you will not be disapponted.

• Liked — Spacious, well appinted
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Salthillhalli
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2007

We stayed at the Four Seasons from March 15 - 19th 2007. It was our 6th anniversay and we wanted to bring our 4-year old, which was a joy. On our anniversary, they put a bottle of Champaigne, without even asking, great touch.

We rented a car, which was nice to have but not necesary if you are not planning on leaving the resort.

The service is absolutely wondeful, almost perfect if there is such a thing. We were constantly addressed by our last name as soon as we arrived and through out the stay.

Check-in was a breeze and the room we requested (premium) was full, they automatically upgraded us, before we could even say anything to a 3-bedroom suite. The room (rooms) were just plain awesome, great views, well appointed, wireless internet, great beds, wonderful patio.

The girls at the Kids Center were great with our 4-year old, and I cant say enough how comfortable they make you feel, especially if you are leaving the kids there for a few hours. My daughter loved it.

Golf course is great, I played the whites and had a great time, and after 200pm its $110 all you can play. The clubs are brand new Pings, with an Oydessy putter.

The food at the clubhouse was great, on par with a great steakhouse. The room service food, i though was just fair, its not that good in my opinion, but the set-up is nice. The D-Mare restarunt I thought was good. The kids menu was fine. the coffee is great.

Pools are nice, jaccuzi nice, beaches are nice. i went surfing 2 days at Playa Grande which is about an One Hour and a half away, great waves there at high tide. Spa is really nice and worth it.

Nice shopping in Tamarindo and some really good restaraunts on the beach in Playa Flamingo.

All in all, I have stayed at a few Four Seasons, but this is the best. The best. We are going back in June bringing our two kids.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Food from room service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank Surferdl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
#1 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,192 reviews
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
El Mangroove, Autograph Collecti...
#4 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,095 reviews
Occidental Grand Papagayo by Barcelo
Occidental Grand Papagayo by Bar...
#7 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,815 reviews
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!