Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
$529
$423
Bookit.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
$313
$244
Occidental Papagayo - Adults only(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
$194
$172
  • Breakfast included
$469
$435
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
$212
Autograph
$77
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
2,107 results
All reviewsgolf coursecanopy suitecena socialesol y sombracielo roomcosta ricagolf clubburger shackscreened in porcharnold palmerplunge poolcomplimentary activitieszip liningcatch of the dayocean sidecooking classice water
Reviewed October 16, 2006

This place is truly unbelievable.

We stayed at the FS for 8 nights on our honeymoon. From the staff to the service to the grounds, everything was exceptional.

We took the kayak and snorkel tours, which are included in the price of your room. Both were amazing and a good way to start the day. We also played golf one day. The course is the most beautiful course I've ever seen. It isn't a super hard course, but the views and wildlife make it a must-do.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the resort charges you a 10% "resort fee" and 13% tax on every purchase. This does add up, so be sure to keep that in mind.

The food at the FS Costa Rica is very good. Our favorite was the steak house, Carocol, which is located near the club house on the golf course. Papagayo and Di Mare are both good and located near the pools. If you like sushi, the bar offers great sushi. It literally melts in your mouth.

We also did 2 tours outside of the FS. We used Avispas Adventures, which I found throught this website. If you do a tour, I HIGHLY recommend you to use Avispas. Our first tour was a canopy tour with lunch, horse back ride and waterfall hike and volcano tour. This tour is a must!!! At Avispas, your tour starts when you want, and you can stay as long as you want at each site, not like a big company that rushes you through things and then loads you on to a bus with 50 people. The canopy tour has 12 runs and was unbelievable. On the horse and waterfall hike, we crossed a suspension bridge and saw 4 waterfalls. Last, we ended at the Miravalles Volcano, which has natural mub baths (that you get to go in) and a hot spring to relax. The volcano also has wild tucan birds that will land on your arm and eat out of your hand.

Our other tour was a rafting tour. Two people fit in each raft...you and a guide. You go down rapids and even two 5 foot waterfalls on this tour. Neither my wife or I fell out, but it felt like we were several times. It was a huge rush going down this river and I strongly recommend this tour.

Overall, the FS and Costa Rica in general is a place you need to check out. I've been to all the major tourist towns in Mexico, and Costa Rica blows them away.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me at carter_ayers@hotmail.com. The website for Avispas is (---)

14  Thank txbaseballguy
Reviewed October 14, 2006

My wife and I honeymooned here... we've stayed at Four Seaons around the world and this is among the most beautiful! The general manager greeted us upon arrival, our room was upgraded to a villa and the service was amazing.

The adventure trips booked through the hotel were fun -- but if you're an experienced hiker, climber and adventurer it may be a bit tame for you. Many of the day trips are a two hour drive from the hotel.

Costa Rica is a beautiful place that will unfortunately be "colonized" by tourists in the next few years so GO NOW! There are few finer hotels in the world than the Four Seasons Costa Rica!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank advtravel
Reviewed October 5, 2006

My wife and I spent the last leg of our honeymoon at this sublime resort. We have never received such incredible service or hospitality at any hotel, either in the States or abroad.

We stayed in an executive suite perched on a hill above the ocean and garden view rooms.

I wholeheartedly recommend this resort for anyone looking to relax and be pampered.

The resort itself is immaculate and the staff is friendly. They go out of their way to please. We were there during the low season and the resort was 2/3 empty. Sometimes we were the only ones in the pool!

PROS:
Very isolated. Stunning pampering and service. Good food. Great pools. Great bedding and rooms. Two outstanding beaches. Beautiful grounds. Great room service.

CONS:
Very isolated. Pricey. Limited dining options.

Read on to find out my thoughts on specific aspects of the resort.

1. Arrival/Check-In

The drive up the resort is like being transported to another world. The resort is actually a scenic 15 minute drive from the main gate. Once you get there, the amazing service begins.

Check in was efficient and they had our reservation correct. We were early so we had a drink at the pool side lounge while the room was being prepared.

2. The Room
We stayed in an executive suite. The suite had a nice patio with two deck chairs. Secluded and private. The suite itself was spacious and immaculate. The Four Seasons uses Freitte linens and the bed was extremely comfortable. The best room I have ever stayed in!

3. The Grounds.

The resort is gigantic. You should take the time to really examine the grounds and architecture. The resort provides a map of a nice walk through the grounds. The entire resort is breathtaking. They have an army of people constantly working to keep it looking perfect.

Be sure to take the tour of the golf course or play a round if you are a golfer. The views from the course are amazing and the clubhouse has a distinct architecture.

4. Pool

There are three pools and a hot tub. It was never crowded and there were plenty of deckchairs. The staff is very attentive. They come by with all kinds of goodies. Such as gatorade to help you cool off.

5. The Beach

The resort has two beaches. Both are soft white sand and are very nice. You can go snorkeling or kayaking.

6. Activities.

The resort offers several complimentary activities each day. We took a very nice kayaking tour around the bay and checked out the golf course. My wife took a spinning and pilates class.

I went snorkeling and saw many beautiful, colorful fish.

7. Dining

The food was excellent. The Guanacaste buffet is delicious and you should try it. Very fresh and tastey. We dined at Di Mare and found the food to be excellent. Room service was prompt and the food was good.

If you are here for an extended stay, I can see how you may grow tired of the same dining options.

8. Spa

My wife got a treatment and was very happy with the service. I made use of the sauna and plunge pools. The facilities are small but great. I would encourage a visit to the spa and gym.

9. Price

What really makes the resort pricey is the service charges and taxes. They add more that 20% on top of the bill. I felt that the price for drinks, food, and room were fair but became pricey do to this additional charge. So be aware of this before you go.

10. Staff/Service

The staff and service is phenomal. I have never experienced anything like it. The service here is better than at the Ritz Carlton, or the Four Seasons Beverly Hills, or the Peninsula, or any other 5 star hotel I have been to. The service is in a class by itself.

My wife and I have already agreed to return to Costa Rica and the Four Seasons for our anniversary.

Be sure to check out my review of the Grand Papagayo, which was a great AI at a remarkable value.

11  Thank akboxak
Reviewed October 2, 2006

My husband and I just returned from an adventure trip to Costa Rica, where we stayed the last part at the Four Seasons Papagayo.
When people describe the service at this location it is no exaggeration: it is absolutely unparalleled anywhere else. Yes, it is THAT good.
I unfortunately feel ill the latter part of our trip. The Four Seasons has a doctor on call that prescribed medicine that had to be picked up in Liberia (a bit of a drive). The concierge had an employee go and pick up the prescription and bring it to our room. The best part is that within an hour of taking it, I felt a million times better and was able to fully enjoy the rest of the trip.
The property is just beautiful, the facilities are lovely...an ideal vacation. Kudos to the staff at this Four Seasons-they could write the book on how to provide some of the best service on the planet.

5  Thank cgjb30
Reviewed September 30, 2006

We just returned from a 8 day stay the four seasons and really enjoyed the grounds and people who work there. Our room was on the top floor with a great ocean view. We woke up each morning to a beautiful sunrise and to Monkeys playing in the trees right in front of our room. Our room was beautiful and cozy, so we we felt right a home.

The food was great and the service was friendly. I strongly recommend everyone take the Catamaran trip. We did some great snorkeling out on the bay and Dolphins swam with us. The day trip to Palo Verde National Park was amazing. I saw lots of wildlife, including crocodiles, anteaters, thousands of birds and monkeys. Its a boating tour and I highly recommend it.
The hotel staff will do just about anything to ensure your stay is great. The Spa was very special and I had a couple of great treatments.

Perhaps my only complaint was that this Four Seasons is a long way from anything, and your only choice is to eat in their resturants. The food is very expensive and they charge you for absolutely everything. I suggest that you bring lots of money for your stay here. If you can get a meal plan before you go, that would be your best bet.

There is a great pool for adults only. We saw many well mannered kids at the resort, but if you are in the mood for peace and quiet, you can find it on the adult side of the beach. There are also many adult activities the hotel plans just for people without kids. They also have great programs for kids as well.

Stayed: September 2006