“A $ublime Retreat”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed October 5, 2006

My wife and I spent the last leg of our honeymoon at this sublime resort. We have never received such incredible service or hospitality at any hotel, either in the States or abroad.

We stayed in an executive suite perched on a hill above the ocean and garden view rooms.

I wholeheartedly recommend this resort for anyone looking to relax and be pampered.

The resort itself is immaculate and the staff is friendly. They go out of their way to please. We were there during the low season and the resort was 2/3 empty. Sometimes we were the only ones in the pool!

PROS:
Very isolated. Stunning pampering and service. Good food. Great pools. Great bedding and rooms. Two outstanding beaches. Beautiful grounds. Great room service.

CONS:
Very isolated. Pricey. Limited dining options.

Read on to find out my thoughts on specific aspects of the resort.

1. Arrival/Check-In

The drive up the resort is like being transported to another world. The resort is actually a scenic 15 minute drive from the main gate. Once you get there, the amazing service begins.

Check in was efficient and they had our reservation correct. We were early so we had a drink at the pool side lounge while the room was being prepared.

2. The Room
We stayed in an executive suite. The suite had a nice patio with two deck chairs. Secluded and private. The suite itself was spacious and immaculate. The Four Seasons uses Freitte linens and the bed was extremely comfortable. The best room I have ever stayed in!

3. The Grounds.

The resort is gigantic. You should take the time to really examine the grounds and architecture. The resort provides a map of a nice walk through the grounds. The entire resort is breathtaking. They have an army of people constantly working to keep it looking perfect.

Be sure to take the tour of the golf course or play a round if you are a golfer. The views from the course are amazing and the clubhouse has a distinct architecture.

4. Pool

There are three pools and a hot tub. It was never crowded and there were plenty of deckchairs. The staff is very attentive. They come by with all kinds of goodies. Such as gatorade to help you cool off.

5. The Beach

The resort has two beaches. Both are soft white sand and are very nice. You can go snorkeling or kayaking.

6. Activities.

The resort offers several complimentary activities each day. We took a very nice kayaking tour around the bay and checked out the golf course. My wife took a spinning and pilates class.

I went snorkeling and saw many beautiful, colorful fish.

7. Dining

The food was excellent. The Guanacaste buffet is delicious and you should try it. Very fresh and tastey. We dined at Di Mare and found the food to be excellent. Room service was prompt and the food was good.

If you are here for an extended stay, I can see how you may grow tired of the same dining options.

8. Spa

My wife got a treatment and was very happy with the service. I made use of the sauna and plunge pools. The facilities are small but great. I would encourage a visit to the spa and gym.

9. Price

What really makes the resort pricey is the service charges and taxes. They add more that 20% on top of the bill. I felt that the price for drinks, food, and room were fair but became pricey do to this additional charge. So be aware of this before you go.

10. Staff/Service

The staff and service is phenomal. I have never experienced anything like it. The service here is better than at the Ritz Carlton, or the Four Seasons Beverly Hills, or the Peninsula, or any other 5 star hotel I have been to. The service is in a class by itself.

My wife and I have already agreed to return to Costa Rica and the Four Seasons for our anniversary.

Be sure to check out my review of the Grand Papagayo, which was a great AI at a remarkable value.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank akboxak
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Reviewed October 2, 2006

My husband and I just returned from an adventure trip to Costa Rica, where we stayed the last part at the Four Seasons Papagayo.
When people describe the service at this location it is no exaggeration: it is absolutely unparalleled anywhere else. Yes, it is THAT good.
I unfortunately feel ill the latter part of our trip. The Four Seasons has a doctor on call that prescribed medicine that had to be picked up in Liberia (a bit of a drive). The concierge had an employee go and pick up the prescription and bring it to our room. The best part is that within an hour of taking it, I felt a million times better and was able to fully enjoy the rest of the trip.
The property is just beautiful, the facilities are lovely...an ideal vacation. Kudos to the staff at this Four Seasons-they could write the book on how to provide some of the best service on the planet.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cgjb30
Reviewed September 30, 2006

We just returned from a 8 day stay the four seasons and really enjoyed the grounds and people who work there. Our room was on the top floor with a great ocean view. We woke up each morning to a beautiful sunrise and to Monkeys playing in the trees right in front of our room. Our room was beautiful and cozy, so we we felt right a home.

The food was great and the service was friendly. I strongly recommend everyone take the Catamaran trip. We did some great snorkeling out on the bay and Dolphins swam with us. The day trip to Palo Verde National Park was amazing. I saw lots of wildlife, including crocodiles, anteaters, thousands of birds and monkeys. Its a boating tour and I highly recommend it.
The hotel staff will do just about anything to ensure your stay is great. The Spa was very special and I had a couple of great treatments.

Perhaps my only complaint was that this Four Seasons is a long way from anything, and your only choice is to eat in their resturants. The food is very expensive and they charge you for absolutely everything. I suggest that you bring lots of money for your stay here. If you can get a meal plan before you go, that would be your best bet.

There is a great pool for adults only. We saw many well mannered kids at the resort, but if you are in the mood for peace and quiet, you can find it on the adult side of the beach. There are also many adult activities the hotel plans just for people without kids. They also have great programs for kids as well.

Stayed: September 2006
7  Thank TAHOEAL
Reviewed September 14, 2006

One of the best resorts we have visited....very relaxing!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Pacemaster
Reviewed August 29, 2006

My sister and I (we are 8 and 5) and our parents had a fantastic time at this super resort. We especially loved seeing the monkeys (both white faced monkeys and howler monkeys) and swimming in the beautiful swimming pools. We also saw a small shark, manta rays and sting rays. We met lots of new friends and had a great time at the kids club. I took cooking classes with my mom. We definately want to return. Hopefully our parents will take us. The beach was beautiful and we loved collecting shells.I am 8 and i went snorkeling and paddle boating with my dad,mom and sister.
It was great.There was so much to do.
I recommend it for kids.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
15  Thank JenniferAmy
Reviewed August 29, 2006

We stayed at the Four Seasons for two nights as part of a two week honeymoon to Costa Rica. Without question the property is gorgeous and the service was impeccable. So, what's the problem?

In short, staying at the Four Seasons Costa Rica feels like a sanitized version of the real Costa Rica. The balconies have screens on them and you are truly trapped in the middle of nowhere at the resort. If you came to Costa Rica to experience "nature" the Four Seasons is not for you. If you want a great room and to hang around "gringos" then the Four Seasons is perfect.

The food was excellent but very expensive. A basic breakfast for one (2 eggs, bacon, toast, & coffee) was $ 36 once you added taxes, tip, etc. I paid $ 38 for two glasses of the "house" white wine. I don't mind indulging, but at the Four Seasons you are forced to pay because there are no other restaurants or anything nearby.

The property itself is enormous, it literally is a fifteen minute drive from the front gate of the property to the lobby.

Bottomline, the Four Seasons Costa Rica is an indulgence, but it is no different from any other Four Seasons I've ever been to. If you travelled all the way to Costa Rica I'd recommend finding a less sanitized version.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
15  Thank icarus5tx
Reviewed August 27, 2006

My wife and our two daughters spent a week at this superb property. We have stayed at other nice resorts but this one is really special. Perhaps it is the ability to watch monkeys outside of your room or to swim next to manta rays. It is unique in so many ways, but retains all of the amenities that you would expect from a Four Seasons resort. The physical structure is beautiful and everything is well integrated into the landscape.

The staff is wonderful and the service is excellent. We had no complaints about the food, with the prices less expensive than similar resorts in Hawaii. It is not inexpensive, but that should not come as a surprise.

Overall, it is a superb resort and rivals the best of any of Four Seasons' properties.

Stayed: July 2006
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!