“definately a five star plus!!!”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
toronto
“definately a five star plus!!!”
Reviewed March 13, 2006

just got back from costa rica, stayed at four seasons the papagayo peninsula is beautiful,the resort is isolated but outstanding , i was definately impressed . very expensive but we were on our honeyroom so it was worth it, we stayed on the third floor and for the extra money this room was amazing, with a great outside area , we had a ocean view and loved it , i tried the spa and if you enjoy spa i must admit this is probably the most beautifull spa i have been to and i do go to alot of spas, recommend it for sure, the only downside is expensive , service is definately four seasons quality , but thats what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank giudici

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed March 7, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons
in late February for 4 days/3 nights of our 12 day vacation in CR. After reading the other reviews, we decided to try it out. This was our experience.

Grounds - ridiculously immaculate! The grounds are absolutely amazing. I can't think of a more beautiful resort that we have stayed at. I don't play golf or know anything about golf courses, but I was deeply impressed with the greens. Also, the beaches are beautiful, just don't step on the armies of hermit crabs at sundown.

Rooms - We stayed in the deluxe rooms. These are basically the standard rooms with a view/partial view of the bay/ocean. We stayed on the bay side. The view was impressive and the room itself was pretty nice. They must have had some issues with dishonesty because they no longer had a minibar in the rooms. You had to call room service if you desired a $21.00 six-pack of domestic beer. Also, the bathtub drain in our room was broken. Otherwise, the private patios are awesome and the matresses are very comfortable.

Restaurants - First of all, I have to say that I was sick for our stay at the Four Seasons, so I had absolutely no appetite. My husband gave me his imput on the restaurants. The french toast at Papagayo is the best french toast that either of us (I had a bite) has ever had, hands down. Congo's, for lunch, is very expensive for mediocre food. The $15.00 cheeseburger and fries were worth it to me though, it was the only thing that I could stomach on the trip. My husband loved his Filet Mignon at Caracol.

Other Guests - If you want to witness embarrassing, stomach-turning rudeness toward staff, go to the Four Seasons in CR. Many of the guests were polite, but I was apalled with some of the behavior I witnessed from other guests. Granted, the staff is paid (well, I hope) to take care of us. They are not, however, paid to take verbal abuse (and physical from unruly children who kick and bite) from unreasonable guests, with perma-frowns, who seem to never be satified. The staff took this abuse with more grace and dignity than I could ever muster in their situation. I won't go into specific detail, but I think that it is sad that this is what I remember most about the Four Seasons CR.

Overall, I would not go back to the Four Seasons CR. Yes, the grounds are amazing, the staff are extremely attentive, and the rooms are above par, but we experienced this in other locations in CR as well. We would rather go to a location where the prices are reasonable and the atmosphere isn't tense.

If you are planning to stay at the Four Seasons Papagayo, I hope that your experience will be better than ours.

• Stayed February 2006
13 Thank devinbrook
Georgia
Reviewed February 26, 2006

It's interesting to read these reviews when you have actually been to the same hotel, etc. Funny how everyone's tastes are varied. My husband and I went for an extended weekend in Jan. and found while we agree on most of the previous posters comments, we differ with some on the restaurants! We actually thought the meals at Caracol were delicious and the servers extremely attentive and professional. DiMare was as good an Italian meal as we've had in the islands anywhere. The Churrasquería dinner at Congo's was perhaps our least favorite of all. Way too much food and most overcooked. But,we wanted to experience it all and enjoyed every minute. Yes, we were also in the middle of a few Company Bonus Trips or whatever they're called. Alot of loud people talking with each other (yelling) across the pool, etc. But, I was really too immersed in my cool, citrus scented towels, Evian spritzes, frozen grapes, cold water, drinks....the list of little perks is endless. Only once did a few children visit the pool we would frequent and they were well supervised. The staff is the nicest anywhere. The hotel room was just as we expected, just like the picture on the hotel website. The golf course tour, if you're not playing golf, is a must. My husband enjoyed the Canopy Tour, but said be prepared for a bit of hiking and not too much siteseeing the flora and fauna...! With the exception of a big sticky stain on the floor of our elevator that was never cleaned from day one.....we found the Four Seasons to fit our "requirements for a getaway" and wished we were there for a longer stay.

• Stayed January 2006
9 Thank day1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons for 3 nights/4 days after staying at a b and b near tamarindo for 4 nights. The Four Seasons is very nice, but I don't think the place to stay in Costa Rica. The location is very nice and the property beautiful. The service is excellent and the staff incredibly nice and helpful. We have stayed at 5 other Four Seasons properties and this one was different. Here's why.

There were more children at this place than any hotel I have ever stayed at, including other Four Seasons properties. So be ready for a noisy, crazy, poolside experience. 2 Days we couldn't even get a lounge chair and had to go to the beach. The children will take most lounge chairs by mid-morning and then spend all day in the pool, not using the lounges. I found most the children to be noisy and quite ill-behaved aka spoiled, rich brats. 2 other couples we met shared our observation. I have a 7 and 10 year old, so I know how children should act in public. I've never seen so many lay down on the ground, legs flaring temper tantrums. This aspect of the hotel was a cross between a Holiday Inn and Club Med for kids. They all seemed to be from the upper east coast (New York, New England area). There is an "adult only" pool but it is too close to the other pools to really drown out the noise.

They also have a free internet area next to the spa. Everytime my wife and I wanted to use it for business we had to wait for the kids to finish their chat sessions and/or games to use the internet. You would think they would see an adult waiting and move aside but no way. They need a seperate internet area for adults and one for children.

If you are looking for rest and relaxation this is not the place. If you are willing to give up some peace and quite for great service and a beautiful resort experience this may be for you. As for us, we will return to Costa Rica but not this property.

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2006

we loved the papagayo. i agree with some of the other reviewers. this resort is very isolated. I also agree that breaking up your trip is the best thing to do. that's what we did. we relaxed for 4 days and did not leave the compound. we had all of our meals and spa treatments there instead of wasting 2 hours driving in and out of the compound.
the rooms were amazing! we had a sun room attatched to our room that overlooked the ocean. the ocean was on both side of our room, hence the peninsula aspect of the resort. the rooms were predominantly brown cherry wood, simple but beautiful, with hardwood floors.
the restaurants were all excellent, can't go wrong.
the spa treatments were phenomenal- get the unique ones only offered in costa rica.
service was stellar.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san francisco
Reviewed February 11, 2006

We recently visited the Four Seasons in late Jan early Feb. We have previously stayed at the Four Seasons in Maui and were in love with the resort. Our visit to this resort fell short of our experience in Maui.

Before I go into this review, I do have to note the following. The DAY we were supossed to leave, we had a death in the family. The Four SEasons allowed us to reschedule with no charge. This was a very kind thing to do. They could have easily rented the room out, and got 24 hours notice from us on rescheduling for 5 days later. We appreciated the rescheduling. HOwever, there was no leineancy on cancellation. 3 nights deposit (1800$) if we were to flat out cancel and reschedule futher in the future (even if someone dies). I understand this though, and did appreciate their willingness to reschedule after 3/4 calls.

ROOMS
The biggest problem I had with this resort was the noise in the rooms. No matter how exceptional the service, or how nicely appointed the rooms may be, if you cannot get a restful nights sleep its not worth the 600$+ a night.

When we arrived we were checked into a connecting room. We pleaded that this would not be okay as we are light sleepers. The staff said no worries we have this "foam" that blocks out the noise. The "foam" did not block out the noise. You could hear your neighbor coughing.

If you do the meal plan you have the option of taking breakfast in your room or in the rest. Sounds nice until the people above you and next you decide to take breakfast at 6/7am in the morning and are moving furniture on their balconings. Nice thought, but horrid for those who sleep past 6am.

As of now, I would not go back b/c of the noise, or would go when it is not so busy and you could more easily switch rooms

Hotel Staff/Spa
The persons working at the hotel are unbelievably kind and go over the top to accommodate you. The only exceptions to this statement were the connecting room bit, and a scheduling mishap I had at the spa. Because of busy season, I booked spa treatments 1 month ahead of time. I emailed and corresponded with the spa concierge at the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel I stopped by the spa to pick my specific treatments, they had NO record of my reservation. I promptly re-forwarded them the email correspondence, which they blew off and chalked up to some miscommunication with their corporate office. While they were able to re-schedule, the timing did not work out as I had hoped. There was no sense of apology for the mishap. When you pay this much $$, you don’t want your trip interrupted with scheduling stresses and screw-up.

Hotel Vibe
We were at the hotel during busy season. However, it became very clear that the hotel does a lot of corporate events. I have been on many corporate boon doggles and the vibe at a corporate trip is much different then that you seek on your personal vacation. There are only 3 or so restaurants to eat at on the property. One night we found that the concierge had made reservations for us at the Caraco rest, only to find when we arrived that it was closed for a corporate event. Every other night or so there night there was a private event being held on the grounds. The corporate presence made it hard to schedule golf/hair cuts/rest reservations. This wasnt every night by any means, but it was enough to be noticed.

Meal Plan
We opted not to do the meal plan. We didnt always eat breakfast, and didnt want to feel tied to eating it our losing the credit if we went out for an early activity. All in all, on the dinner part we came out about even. Our bills were mostly from alcohol, and my husband and I didnt both need an app/entree/desert. So its up to you, either way you will spend a great deal on food, just be ready and enjoy it.

Restaurants
We loved Congos, Papagayo, and DiMare. We were very unimpressed with Caraco. The staff at Congos Papagayo and Dimare were SO SO SO nice. The food at Papagayo was my favorite. I think this is because it is more latin style cuisine. I found that DiMare and Caraco were trying to make a jump to a more artsy NYC/SF type of rest. It didnt meet up to Papagayo.
Caraco
We did not have steak at Caraco, so this may be where we steered wrong. We had shrimp and chicken. The chicken was probably the worst chicken I have had. It was so tough I couldnt finish it.
DiMare
My husband loved DiMare. I was impartial. They have a great apple fritter desert, and some really good dishes. Not the best ever, but good.
FRESH CATCH OF THE DAY
We did the fresh catch of the day meal where you pick out your fish in the morning and can talk to the Chef about how you want it prepared. This was amazing. What a fun and wonderful meal. All the fish we had at the rest was amazing.
CONGOS
The Congos rest is great for lunch, even dinner. One of our favorite meals was a night where they walk around with the meat on the skewers and you pick what you want. All the meat was amazingly prepared. Definitely do this meat night at Congos. They also have these killer pulled pork Quesadillas that are a huge hit for a mid-afternoon snack.

Expectations for Experience
Both my husband and I had been to Costa Rica before. This trip was completely different. YOu must be in the mindset that you are going to a beach resort. There is so much to see and do in Costa Rica, and you are very secluded at the 4 Seasons. This is not the place to go if you are wanting to explore and see the country. The staff are required to speak mostly English, the guests are mostly older Americans or young couples with kids. It is a nice resort, amazing service, and a gorgeous spot.

The resort is on gorgeous gorgeous grounds that are meticulously maintained. There are lots of activities to keep you busy while on resort grounds. Really cool complementary water sports equipment like snorkling, sunfish and kayak rentals.

Activities
If you decide to venture out, you are looking at atleast 2-5 hours of driving each way for a tour. We rented a car one day and drove to Playa Hermosa and Playa Coco. Neither were that amazing. There are other great places like Manual Antonio and MOntezuma that are more fun. Coco is tons of tourist shops. Playa Hermosa is a little town under tremendous development with condos etc. Not a whole lot to do. Takes about an hour to get there. FYI, rent a car through National online. You will save around 75$ off the hotel price. National will bring it out to the 4 seasons for you.

The best part of our trip was the GOLF. Absolutely amazing. The course is spectacular, and hardly played. You will have it all to yourself. We would take the 2pm tee times and finish up our round right as the sun was setting. The folks on the course bring you cold towl to wash your face and stock your cart with water. Its crazy over the top. Just amazing, and the golf staff are wonderful.

There is also lots to see on the golf course. Tons of monkeys and iguanas. The hotel has golf course tours that many people took where you get a cart and your go around the course looking for wild live. I spoke with one couple that had done this multiple times and loved it.

Participated in a cooking class. It was a lot of fun and the Chef was a great guy.

Transportation
We used jandctours for our airport transport. They were there waiting for us when we arrived and on time when we departed. Super nice owners. We also scheduled a sailing trip through them.

• Stayed January 2006
34 Thank txserin
Reviewed January 20, 2006

The Four Seasons outside of Liberia in Costa Rica is a stunning resort, but if you are expecting any kind of peace and quiet, you might want to look elsewhere. Children rule the roost here, primarily loud overweight American children (most of whom are named either Zack or Zoe).

The Four Seasons does in fact have a "quiet pool" but it is mostly in a shaded area and right next to the beach which of course is where children frolic in the surf. At the restaurants children (wearing t-shirts and swimsuits still oftentimes even at dinner) run around without much supervision from lax parents. I feel somewhat sorry for the honeymoon couple who must deal with this aspect of their trip.

The rooms here at the Four Seasons are wonderfully well-done and the cuisine at each restaurant is almost flawless. There are a wide-ange of activities and the setting is nearly unbeatable. My advice: bring an iPod to drown out Zack and Zoe screaming "Marco! Polo" in the pool for eight hours straight.

• Stayed December 2005
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!