“Absolute PARADISE!”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
“Absolute PARADISE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2005

We spent one week at the Four Seasons in Costa Rica and LOVED every minute of it. The level of service, the natural beauty, and the amenities were incredible. It was truly magical to be sitting at the pool sipping a cocktail overlooking the beach while families of monkeys played in the trees above. This was by far the best hotel/resort and the best overall vacation of our lives. We took a couple of excursions away from the resort to surrounding areas and always returned disappointed -- nothing compared to the Four Seasons.

• Stayed March 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2005

I am a long-time consumer of Trip Advisor, but our exceptional experience in Costa Rica prompted me to post my first review. My husband and I just returned from a spectacular seven-night stay (romance package including golf, spa treatment, breakfast and dinner is a good value).

We are fortunate "collectors" of luxury travel adventures and this one makes our top 5 list (It's tough to top Singita in South Africa and Rayavadee in Thailand). I agree with the previous reviews regarding superior service, scenery, weather, facilities and food.

Go there to relax and be prepared to be patient with the slower pace. You will be rewarded. Each morning we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at Papagayo followed by a couple of hours reading by the pool. We played golf each day on the perfectly maintained, never-crowded course. The late afternoon brought a workout in the gym and a relaxing visit to the spa's cold plunge and whirlpools before margaritas and house-made guacamole at sunset, an excellent dinner and stargazing. We enjoyed two excursions: the canopy tour and sunset sailing. Both were great. We skipped the excursions requiring a long drive (the resort is remote, which suited us just fine). The weekly manager's cocktail reception is a nice opportunity to talk with the staff and learn about the area's development.

We offer a couple of suggestions to make the most of your vacation. Pack light -- The hotel offers complimentary guest laundry facilities. Enjoy a tropical iced tea by the pool. Make reservations in advance for Caracol, the wonderful new restaurant at the golf course and ask the manager Ruben to suggest an excellent, good value wine from his native Argentina (overall the resort's wine list is limited and expensive due the import tax). The Rodizio at Congo's is fun and casual (don't miss the chimmichuri). Ask the hotel to arrange your departure taxes in advance -- It will enable you to avoid a very long line at the small airport. Take a walk on the beach to greet another perfect day in paradise (both the bay and Pacific beach are good -- better than the Caribbean, not as good as Hawaii) . Pura Vida.

39 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2005

My husband and I just got back from the Four Seasons in Costa Rica, and it was spectacular. I won't bore you with the same details as everyone else, but I do have some suggestions: 1) They have just opened a new steakhouse that is wonderful. It's open Sun-Thur, and it's up by the golf course (10 min. drive through the property). The food is delicious, but even better is the view from the veranda. After dinner, we took our drinks and had desert on the veranda and all we saw were stars...for miles! We actually ate all our meals at either the steakhouse, or at Tico's, which is the main outdoor bar. You can order from almost any other Four Seasons menu at Tico's, but no need to dress and there is a 3 piece local band that plays. So I was able to have mahi mahi, and my husband had a burger and fries! As for the spa, I would highly recommend making reservations prior to your stay. Although the hotel wasn't full, and we had no problems getting a restaurant reservation or tee time, we had a tough time getting spa appointments. As for the rooms...almost all of the ocean facing rooms have a view (other than a couple of the garden level ones), but the bay side has a better view. With regards to activities, the canopy trip is a definite must for everyone. There were people well into their 50s and 60s that went and had a blast. We went on the catamaran sunset cruise, and as long as you don't expect decent snorkeling, then you're fine. Between the time of day (5:00) and the location, the snorkeling wasn't great, but the sunset was beautiful and the trip was fun. Most of the other trips that the hotel provides is a 2 hour drive...which didn't thrill my husband. You can rent a car from the hotel with 5 minutes notice, so you can always go somewhere, if you get the itch. The weather cannot be beat...sunny, hot (90s), no humidity, nice breeze, and gorgeous nights with the temperature in the 70s. Have a wonderful time and enjoy!

• Stayed February 2005
40 Thank nycbased
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2005

Flew into Liberia airport American Airline's non-stop flights from Miami. I was anxious to get to the resort in one of those big green Suburban trucks they had waiting for us with ice cold water. Unfortunately, we realized that one of our bags with most of our clothes was missing and that it would only be arriving on the next flight which wouldn't be coming in until the next day. We weren't the only ones headed to the Four Seasons that were impacted by this trauma (there were about 10 people altogether!). Nevertheless, we all tried to maintain high spirits as we headed toward the resort.

Everything you read on this website about entering the property is true. The setting is absolutely spectacular with the bay on your left and the Pacific Ocean on your right as you drive down toward the resort. When we arrived, we were whisked to the front desk, checked in, and offered a pair of shorts, sneakers and a t-shirt from the fitness center until we received our luggage. Our delayed arrival was probably the reason why we were not treated to a glass of fresh tropical juice and a cold lemon-scented towel like all others receive upon arrival. Although we had a rate that included a room upgrade upon availability, we were not granted the privilege (the resort was fully booked). The charming bellman drove us in the golf cart to our deluxe room, located on the second floor of one of the three main buildings on the property. The deluxe category (2nd floor only) is one category above the garden level (ground level) and one category below the premium category (rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors). They advertise the 2nd floor as having partial ocean or bay views, the garden level as having only a garden view, and the premium category as having an unobstructed view. The truth is that all categories afford you a view of the bay or ocean, except that the premium level rooms are a bit more above the trees that are in front of everyone's balconies. My suggestion is to go with the Deluxe category rather than paying the extra money for a Premium room. The Garden level is fine, as long as you don't mind people walking by your front door on their way to the pool or restaurants. The rooms in the hotel are gorgeous and beautifully designed. There are plenty of closets and beautiful wood floors throughout. The large and well- furnished lanai is screened to protect one from any flying insects, but you have the option of raising the screen. The king size bed was the typical Four Seasons quality, but the box spring and metal bed frame squeaked a lot whenever we moved around. They actually came the first night to change the box spring (picture two strapping Costa Rican men bopping up and down on the bed to figure out the problem), but once I realized that the bed frame itself was also a squeaker I was too embarrassed to call them again and managed to sleep soundly nevertheless. Each room has a flat screen TV and DVD player, but the hotel has a poor selection of movies to choose from for complimentary rental. Each room has free, high speed, internet access which you can connect to from either your own laptop or with the keyboard provided in the TV armoire (The latter was just being hooked up when we arrived and was not operational). As mentioned before, all rooms either face the ocean or bay, so specify a preference at time of reservation if you have one (ocean view is more picturesque then the bay and affords better views of the sunsets). Of course, they also have impressive looking suites that looked like stand-alone villas, on a hill overlooking the property and the water. I didn't have a chance to see them close up, however. There are four pools to choose from, two of which are more elaborate in their design and size. The other two pools are a small children's pool next to the main building and a smaller, more low-key pool by the ocean. We went to the ocean the first day, but were not as well attended to by the staff as we were when we sat at the other two main pools. One word about the staff at the hotel: they are all incredibly warm and gracious and provided a level of service I have never experienced. The pool staff are especially attentive, constantly passing out ice-water, cold lemon-scented towels, frozen fresh fruit, and popsicles (all complimentary, of course). In terms of hotel activities, there is a daily activities schedule that will satisfy a wide range of interests including a weekly lecture on coffee growing and production, a tour of the kitchen, and a wide range of exercise classes (e.g., yoga, pilates, spinning). We did sunset yoga each evening which was done outside on the balcony overlooking the ocean (very relaxing, yet invigorating). Worked out daily in the well equipped gym, with individual TV sets on each cardio machine. Had a massage each evening before dinner followed by a dip in the outdoor Jacuzzi overlooking the ocean. The massages were generally quite good, and you are treated to dried fruit, nuts and flavored waters before the massage. Before the massage, you are asked to choose from an array of scented massage oils. At the end of your massage, you are treated to frozen, fresh fruit on a sugar cane stick. In terms of activities outside the hotel grounds, we opted to do the canopy tour, which many people on this website say is a MUST. No one mentions, however, that for some it can be terrifying and two people in our group quit halfway through because of this. The hotel also has a list of other activities that they can arrange for you. I suggest asking them to fax or e-mail you a list of various excursions offered. A word of warning for those who will be driving around Costa Rica either before or after your stay at the hotel: beware of HORRIFIC road conditions (HUGE pot holes) that require you to drive at slow speeds as you go from one place to another. We did not do this, but many people we met all had horror stories about the road conditions. The roads to and from the airport are brand new, however, and in good condition. In terms of the clientele, you will find a wide demographic, including older, middle-aged and young couples (gay and straight), honeymooners, and families with kids. The food at the resort is the only relatively weak point. There is a breakfast buffet that is quite good. At dinner time, you have a choice between three restaurants which others have described in their reviews. We did not particularly care for Papagayo restaurant, but the outdoor Bar B-Q restaurant is great and the chocolate bread pudding is a must for dessert. The more formal restaurant is very good and beautifully designed. We opted to have most of our dinners there and the price was only slightly more than the other two restaurants. Overall, this is a fabulous property and we will definitely go back.

71 Thank luxurytraveler
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2005

My wife and I recently spent 4 nights at this new Four Seasons with another couple...and we haven't stop talking about it. The setting and atmosphere ...100. The staff (anything you want) ...100. The food..100. Even the Golf experience is a 100. The views will constantly amaze you. Wonderful white sand beaches (2) and pools everwhere. The rooms were sumptious with a huge enclosed porch. We were so taken by the signature martini glasses (local) we bought them. The Spa is a true experience. Pick a season for the unique climate. we went at the end of the rainy season and experienced a relaxing shower each evening about 5pm. Rain never interfered with our activities which included a jungle canopy tour. Easy to get to with direct connections to the expanded Liberia airport. 3hours and 40 minutes and 1 time zone from Atlanta. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2004, traveled on business
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2004

My Girlfriend and I stayed at the Four Seasons Costa Rica at the end of October 2004, and it was fantastic. I have stayed in luxury hotels all over the world and this had to be one of the most unique guest rooms I’ve ever seen. It’s like a luxurious tree house. The room had a large screened in balcony that with a press of a button would automatically lower the screen. I can still hear the sounds of the waves from the beach. The only reason I give it four stars instead of five is because of the quality of the room service dining. We ordered room service twice and we were disappointed each time, but the food at the restaurants was great, especially the Brazilian Barbecue.

12 Thank KP_ATL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2004

We returned from the Four Season resort 2 weeks ago. We are all very "home sick" for our extended Costa Rican family that is The Four Season Resort. It was simply the best event that has ever taken place in our families life. Everything was great.

The hotel is radiant and very alive with lush green foliage and beautiful beaches. It is built on an isthmus so there are 2 very beautiful beaches that are private and secluded and only for guests of the Four Season.

Every room is an ocean view room. The rooms actually have verandas with hydraulic screens that hang over the ocean. At night I actually had to close the french doors because the sound of the waves was keeping me up!! Really! Not a terrible problem to have!! The rooms are spacious and were more than enough room for my husband and I with our 2 sons.

The kids LOVED the Kids For All Seasons. Rita and Melvin and the crew were great entertainers and the boys had a blast. Our 4 yo actually cried when we left. He wanted to stay "forever". If they were available we would have purchased a residence there in a heart beat!!

The food was fantastic. The wine list wasn't good but as I talked to my travel agent (Costa Rica Luxury Vacations. Ask for James) he said good wine was hard to come by in Costa Rica because of the shipping. We did actually find a great wine from Argentina that we enjoyed.

We stayed for 3 nights and checked out to go to Tamarindo to the Paradisus Conchal. We arrived and within 2 hours called James our travel agent in San Jose to get us back to the Four Seasons. We took a cab back the same day. The Paradisus was absolutely everything we didn't want. If you like loud blaring music by the pool, 300 peoplw running to the buffet, bad service, bad drinks, trash on the golf course, and broken air conditioning, go. If you like quiet soothing music by the pool with superb service. Stay at The Four Seasons. They are both supposed to be 5 star resorts. I can assure you that one is a 2 star and the Four Seasons is a 5 star. We definately made the right choice by spending the next 4 nights at The Four Seasons.

The canopy tour is a must for everyone. My 4 year old rode tandem wih Dave at Witch's Rock. He was singing Spider Man as he glided down a 300 ft cable hanging 300 ft in the air!! We saw iguanas and howler monkeys. The guides were great. It was awesome.

The Catamaran off the beach is also great. I think it was called the Goombay. We went to a private beach and reef and snorkeled. On the trip home we were sitting on the front of the trampoline and had a pod of dolphins come and join us for 20 minutes. It was magical.

BUT...the best thing about our trip to Costa Rica was the people. I am honestly writing this with tears in my eyes when I think about the people we had to say good bye to. They are the nicest most beautiful people we have met. Everyone was amazing from the people at the resort to the people we meet in the small towns. Our drivers for our transfers were wonderful. The people definately are the most beautiful thing in Costa Rica. Their sincerity and smile surpass the surrounding beauty by miles!! You will be welcomed like family and will curse the day you leave.

We hope to get back in March. We have found our second home. Costa Rica we can't wait to return!!

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,032 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!