“Great Resort in Paradise”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Beautiful resort, in an excellent location. We have enjoyed the tranquility and the hospitality of this magnificent place. The golf course is fantastic. I greatly recommend their Italian food restaurant "Di Mare".

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a villa in the "Pacifico" area.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear Jaime, thank you for your review - just like you, I love our Arnold Palmer golf course and the great views. All is Pura Vida, and with the Costa Ricans doing so well in the World Cup, you can imagine the passion and excitement going through the resort. Looking forward to your next visit and the opportunity to WOW you in any of our other 5 restaurants. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The Four Seasons resort is a beautiful, magnificent escape with extremely nice staff. But, when you are paying about $1,400/night for a room (about 3x the price of some other 5 start resorts in Costa Rica) the problems and shortfalls become very noticeable. We did take a limo from the airport to the property and they helped us thru customs...nice.

Pros: Beautiful natural setting on a peninsula surrounded by water. Physcial facilities are top notch, well-designed, and maintained with perfection. Room was very nice and well set up with perfect views. All of the staff is extremely nice and will go out of their way to accommodate your every need. There is an adult only swimming pool which is very nice to have for quiet time. The restaurants are very expensive but the food is also very good.

Cons: it is very far (45 minutes to 3 hours away from outside activities), so plan to do pretty much everything there on the property. The suite we were in had construction going on, and I had to complain several times before I asked for the hotel GM, he did stop the construction and gave us a nights stay credited back to us, we didn't want to hear hammering and sawing when we paid so much.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WCG_12

Dear WC, once again, sorry for the noisy start of your stay with us. Thank you for reaching out directly and happy to assist with the matter. How exciting to read that you give our staff and our restaurants a big thumbs up A gorgeous place indeed and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 12 nights at this beautiful hotel in a treehouse suite. lovely setting between two nice beaches. Lots of activities. Stayed last two nights at JW Marriott. Four seasons was better in every way.

Four seasons excels

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank EarvinGil

Dear Earvin, it is great to know you had such a wonderful twelve days with us - there is plenty to do in this gorgeous country and on our Peninsula. Pura Vida and come back once we have completed our rejuvenation in November. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

I don't even know where to begin! We arrived and were greeted with a bottle of champagne and strawberries for my birthday. Everyone knew who we were by the first day. I felt like a queen. The location is beyond beautiful. The monkeys greeted us each am. Free kayak and snorkel gear. A must do! The restaurants were delicious but very expensive.. Hey your on vacation, enjoy yourself.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Carmella K
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Queen Carmella, so happy you spent your birthday with us - and glad you enjoyed the Champagne welcome. I am glad you had a great time and that the monkeys did their job so well !! We hope we can celebrate many more birthdays with you here in the Pura Vida land. Best regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The resort is beautiful and there is much to do here. Since our stay was short, we never left the grounds, but we enjoyed the 3 pools and both beaches everyday. The restaurants were good, but the breakfast buffet was outstanding! The rooms are comfortable, large, and quite lovely....enjoyed the screened balcony. Favorite activities included SUP and Snorkeling. The staff is friendly and accommodating...no complaints, except that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank CMF_11

Dear CMF, breakfast being one of the most important meals, we are offering over 70 different dishes and glad you enjoyed it all. The rooms being great now, wait until we complete our remodelation in September and October! It will be paradise - just a little better.
Thank you for your review. Best regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

In the last 12 months I have stayed at six Four Seasons Hotels around the world. Three were excellent, three were very disappointing. That is a 50/50 chance that it will either be all good or all bad. At premium 5 Star pricing I expect better odds. The inconsistency with the Four Seasons brand is concerning as I used to rely on them as a fail safe for a perfect experience. New York, Doha, and Punta Mita are all good. Jackson Hole, Amman, and now Costa Rica not so good to all bad... and this just in the last 12 months. There is not much in between anymore with this brand but how do you know other than reading reviews before you go? Management here in Costa Rica has the same "so sorry for the inconvenience of our poor service, bad food, noisy maid service in adjacent rooms, loud sports casts over shadowing the quiet areas, burnt eggs on the buffet, etc". Really, the apologies are so unacceptable because once they have you here they can treat you any way they want. I have experienced waiters here being rude, ignoring patrons, and just saying I'm on my way to lunch so I can't get to you now. Service staff are often found clustering in groups of 3-4 just visiting amongst themselves while guests are wondering how to get service. When asked for a ride to our room we are told to wait until they have a full cart...this when four carts are sitting there with four drivers in attendance. It has been really odd. At one point, my husband nicely asked a pool valet to set up four chairs. The valet walked away before my husband could finish, no eye contact, and basically was saying ok, ok, I'll get to it as he waved us off...only putting out 3 of the 4 chair set ups we asked for. I asked another attendant for some ice for some self serve water they had set up and he argued with me asking why did I want ice when the water was cold? I finally had to say I just want ice please. It used to be at a Four Seasons every person you met that worked there said hello and yes of course to any reasonable request....now that is not always the case. In Costa Rica, you might just be inconveniencing them. In the fitness center it used to be that they would offer you water or a cold towel while you were exercising...not now. You get nothing. However, I guess because of the recent stomach flu epidemic they are adamant about cleaning up the equipment. It is so very unfortunate that this Four Seasons here in Costa Rica has had such incredibly poor service because it is a beautiful property with two gorgeous beaches, a very nice spa, and three lovely pools although the beaches and pools are not very well serviced from food and beverage. I will say the golf club and it's people are very nice. One night, they closed the popular golf club restaurant to divert guests to the Brazilian restaurant..we ate there and had a terrible time getting served. They only offered us about half of the cheaper meats that were listed on the menu and those were so slow that we just wanted to give up. One of our party woke up sick with food poisoning the next day...not sure exactly where that came from but we had been at the hotel for three days so it had to be something from there. Lastly, it must be a management training memo that goes around just saying to apologize for whatever the guest complains about so they will shut up and then management can move on. Apologies are so cheap and empty at this point. Once they have ruined your experience what difference does it really make? I do not want apologies... I want the quality of experience that I am paying for and promised...nothing more, nothing less. My advise to fellow TripAdvisor followers is check reviews before booking, and then check again before going. If it is looking bad and the management continues responding with classic cut and paste apologies then it might be better to go somewhere else where pride in service and experience is just as great as the beautiful surroundings. I hope this helps and saves someone else from disappointment and I really hope the Four Seasons brand checks in on their struggling hotels who have lost site of pride in service or have become tired in their facilities.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank GoValGo

Dear GoValGo, thank you for taking the time and share your experiences about your recent stay with all of us. Your feedback clearly shows that we failed in many instances and I am sorry to know that we are tipping the scale to the wrong side. You are correct in saying that apologies just cannot undo a disappointing experience, we just need to get it right, from the get-go. We are very proud of the resort and proudly representing Four Seasons, dedicated to deliver the promised. I would be delighted to speak more with you, if you would like to and definitely welcome you back for an impeccable stay - and to use your words: to receive the quality of experience that you are paying for and promised...nothing more, nothing less. Best regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Location is amazing. the resort is beautiful it has beautiful beaches, two pools, hiking trails,etc.Hotel is surrounded by luxury filled wilderness .Try to book the villas , they have the best views and amenities.
Staff is outstanding, get ready to be pampered.
Golfers will be surprised to by the spectacular scenery.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Albertomiami

Dear Albertomiami, it is great to know that you had a wonderful stay and that you felt pampered, that is our main goal. Always recreating our activities, like the Mixology Classes, we want to make sure you always have something to do. Come back soon for more. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!