“Beautiful views and excellent service”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Chaska, Minnesota
“Beautiful views and excellent service”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Built on a peninsula FAR away from anything, this resort is spectacular and remote. Golf carts with bellhops are prevalent to help you get around this expansive resort. The restaurants are all good and have extensive menus. The beaches by the resort are small but clean, and there are several pools to keep you cool as well. Lots of complimentary activities and activities with low cost ($20 for each fitness class), but I would not do the "Guided Nature Hike" again, which was a fast walk through the surrounding area with little discussion of what we were seeing, on top of (literally) an eight hundred stair climb up!
Excellent breakfast buffet at the Papagayo restaurant (with some Costa Rican specialties too!), but don't leave your table with any food or drink on it or within seconds, the birds will be all over it!!!! We thought that the omnipresent howler monkeys would be an issue, but even though they woke us up every morning at daybreak, they kept to themselves.
Overall an excellent place to stay, but keep in mind that it is very isolated....you will not be able to see any of Costa Rica's culture if you don't rent a car or go out on an excursion!

Room Tip: Just pick a room depending on your budget. I'm pretty sure all the rooms would be acceptable!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Profteacher, thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and loved the nature surrounding us. We appreciate the comments regarding the guided nature hike. We will make sure to make it a more educational tour in the future. Best regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
NYC
Reviewed May 10, 2014

My wife and I recently spent a few nights here as a mini-moon. Overall the resort is beautiful and everyone who worked there was genuinely friendly. We set up transportation beforehand and a Four Seasons representative was waiting for us right when we walked out of immigration. The ride to the resort was a quick 35 mins. The driver was friendly and the car well maintained with complimentary internet. The hotel was mindful not to have too many people checking in at the same time and actually slowed down the car by five minutes for a seamless check-in. At the check-in we were greeted by a gentleman named Fred, who was one of the managers, and he continued to check in with us for the remainder of the stay. Also, we thought it was lovely that after asking us what brought us to Costa Rica and we replied that we had just gotten married, the Fred and the rest of the staff offered warm congratulations and almost immediately brought out two glasses of champagne for us to enjoy while we wrapped up our check-in.

Hotel / Room: Overall the hotel has a beautiful plot of land with the beach on side of the property and bay on the other. The foliage is beautiful and everything is well maintained. We stayed in building three with a view of the bay. The room was spacious, well maintained, and modern. There room had a spacious screened in terrace, with a comfy couch and set of chairs.

Hotel facilities: The fitness center was part of the spa and was well very well maintained. There was always an attendant nearby to help with a towel or a pair of headphones. The fitness center was busy in the mornings but we were always able to find a machine.
Aside from the Witch’s Rock zip lining tour, we spent most of our time by the adult pool and on the beach. The pools are all beautiful, and throughout the day there are plenty of people coming by cleaning the pools (skimming leaves off the surface) and the servers were always available. Xenia, one of the servers by the adult pool, was absolutely wonderful, so friendly and just kind to talk to. The food by the pool was delicious; we enjoyed everything we tried, particularly the fish tacos and salads topped with tuna.

Service: Service everywhere around the hotel was quick and friendly. Housekeeping was extremely efficient and made sure not to service the room when you were not using it. The turndown service was also very flexible about when you wanted service. We typically do not eat until 8:00 or later, and turndown was more than happy to come a little later as we were leaving for dinner.

Restaurants: Despite the hotel being full, not all restaurants were open every night. This was unfortunate as our favorite restaurant (Caracol) was only open one night during our stay.

Papagayo – We ate breakfast here each morning as it was part of a package we booked. We had the buffet each morning and found the food quality excellent. The cook at the omelet bar was extremely kind and detailed with our orders. For breakfast Papagayo was excellent, but we did not eat any other meals there.

Congos – We ate dinner here one night and had the Brazilian churrascaria. While the dinner was casual the food was excellent and the service friendly. The highlight of the meal was the ceviche bar. The chef took our favorite seafood and made a delicious ceviche. Both my wife and I were blown away by the quality. The meat was all excellent quality, but as in any restaurant we enjoyed some more than others.

Caracol – This was our favorite dinner by far, the food was phenomenal. The restaurant location is a five minute drive from the main property, which the hotel arranges transportation to. It is mostly a steakhouse, and the flank steak and the filet were some of the best meat we have ever had. We also had a sea bass ceviche appetizer that was to die for. Delicious!

Di Mare – This was our least favorite dinner by far. I’m not sure it was the initial impression we got from the staff or just that some of the food was mediocre. We ate here on the last night of our trip and the concierge had informed the staff that it was the last night of our mini-moon. The concierge sent specially printed menu and, despite this, we probably received the worst table in the restaurant, even though others remained open throughout our dinner (the restaurant was not full by any means). Our waitress was extremely sweet and very friendly – she gets an A+. The best part of the meal was the bruschetta, both types we tried were excellent. I had the veal ossobuco ragout pappardelle and it was mediocre at best. My wife had the mushroom risotto and it was fairly good.

Overall we want to explore more of Costa Rica and the Four Seasons will be our hotel choice. The friendliness of the people was absolutely a treat. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tiev
Dear tiev, it is great to read such a complete review about our property. I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and also, give us feedback so we can improve. I look forward to be able to welcome you again in the future, we are waiting for you. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 8, 2014

First: I'd like to thank Maxwell, Luis Diego, Wilky, Fred and both Alejandras for their outstanding hospitality. The resort, of course, is beautiful and amenities excellent. But it's the people that make the difference and they all went out of their way to make this a tremendous experience.

This is the first time we have come to this property and would come back in a heartbeat. The food is excellent and the services wonderful.

We ate at the steakhouse (Caracol) which was excellent. They had a good choice of Angus steaks along with a Costa Rican prepared filet (which I highly recommend).
Caracol is located about ten minutes away and they drive you in an SUV back and forth. Tomorrow we have a chef's table reservation at Di Mare which I am anxiously anticipating.

We are in the "3000s" and it has a nice view of the bay. There is a "3 season" type room attached which is a great area to relax in. While this room isn't as fancy as some of the others I have seen posted, it's wonderfully located: close to the pools, restaurants and even a butterfly garden.

The best part (so far, it's only day two here) is the cabanas overlooking the Pacific-side of the resort and Playa Virador. There are three and provide, IMHO, the best way to be totally spoiled and relaxed (if that's your thing).

They have two half day cabana options or the full day. Go full day. It's $350 during this time of year and comes with a fridge full of drinks, a mixology class, a 30 minute spa session, fruit plate, 'sun kit' (aloe, suntan lotion, etc.), premium internet at the cabana and of course the wonderful staff who are seemingly around whenever you need them without being obtrusive. Typical FS hospitality!

For those more adventurous, they have activities at the hotel (e.g., cooking classes, artisan markets) and many extracurricular activities like golfing, snorkeling, etc.

There are three pools and of course the two beaches lining both sides of the peninsula.

The hotel provides free basic wifi for up to two devices per room. This is possibly my only recommendation: I carry more than two devices myself, so it would be nice to raise the limit. They do offer a 'premium' option of six devices for a daily fee.

It is about 45 minutes from Liberia and transportation is available to/from the hotel via the concierge. Speaking of which, they are extraordinary: they help with everything (as expected) but are extremely responsive even via email. This was nice for questions/reservations sent late at night: they were responded to first thing in the morning. I was also able to get several questions answered before arriving.

Tip: if you like special dining events, book far in advance (their 10th anniversary is this year and they do a special 'Taste The Stars' dinner along with the above-mentioned Chef's Table).

Enjoy!

P.S. To the person who commented about getting ill: each person has their own personal experience, of course, but I found the staff to be extremely conscientious here of health issues. Sanitizing gel is available everywhere, including the room. They would sanitize and wipe down the tables between each customer to ensure everything was as clean as possible.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 1000s, 2000s, 3000s, 4000s are in buildings close to the main area. This is a great loc...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Barry F., I am very happy to know we were able to meet your expectations and that you had a wonderful stay. It is our aim to have guests leave happy and amazed and thinking about their next trip back. Thank you as well for your feedback on the efforts we made with reference to the virus covering the Guanacaste area. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Norfolk, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a stand alone , one bedroom with plunge pool. We felt truly pampered and enjoyed a relaxing vacation. One negative is that you have to wait for staff to pick you up and drive you to beach, restaurants and lobby in golf carts although staff was always prompt to pick up. I would have liked a walking path. Staff was great, golf great, spa wonderful! If u are looking for action and excitement not the place for you but if looking to relax and be pampered highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank jskpm
Dear guest, so happy to know you felt pampered - that is our main goal for sure! And thank you for the idea about the walking path, always great to hear value feedback from our guests! Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
miami
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I just got home from trip and had to take a moment and say that the Four Seasons far exceeded my expectations. Every detail was perfect. The staff was 5 star all the way. I never heard a no from them and they were so warm and friendly, they made the experience even better. We met the hotel manager several times walking through and let him know what a wonderful time we were having. The views from my villa (2920) were breath taking not to mention the monkeys that would swing by in the morning. From the beaches to the pool I never had a hard time finding a lounge chair and they were always coming by with little treats for us. The strawberry Popsicles were the best.Granted it was very hot and humid but the staff was always passing out cold towels to help you cool down.
As far as the food goes breakfast at Papagayo's was my favorite meal of the day. The Picadillo of lobster was delicious. They have a burger shack up at the golf club , very casual and the burgers were some of the best I have had.
It truly is a magical place that made me feel extremely welcomed and so relaxed!! Oh I almost forgot the coffee scrub at the spa was fabulous such a nice surprise, it felt great and my skin was silky soft for days.They also have a nightly happy hour on the beach so you can watch the sunset and they have live music too. It was a lovely way to end the day.
I hope to one day have the fortune of returning with my kids since I would love for them to experience the magic that is the Four Seasons Papagayo.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mikki, we are glad you had a perfect stay with us and that you would like to come back with the kids. We have plenty of activities for our young guests that would make them want to stay forever! Best regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Southern California
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had two children graduating and allowed each to bring a friend to Costa Rica. This property took excellent care of all of us - arranging daily activities and excursions to meet everyone's expectations. The suites and even regular rooms were perfect. It was a joy to open the doors to the outside and watch the monkeys swing past! The spa was a great break from our many activities. Yes, the resort is a bit remote, but the staff will arrange transportation anywhere you would like to go. Remote is good in Costa Rica! We had no problem with that. One day they even took just our family out on a catamaran and arranged lunch and drinks. We went swimming, snorkeling and had an incredible day!

Room Tip: Get a suite!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KzMom
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear KzMom, Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the travel community. I am glad that you had such a positive experience and your kids celebrated their graduation as deserved! Moreover, knowing that everyone's expectations were met is great news for all who work at this beautiful property. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Best regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
VA
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We came to Costa Rica so that my husband could have some time to regroup after a personal challenge he had encountered. We were upgraded to a 2 BR private villa which was quite nice. The staff here is always looking to help and are quite friendly. My only "gripe", and I'm not sure I can even call it that, is that I am a bit bored. While hubby is happy reading and surfing the web, I would like to see some more of CR. Unfortunately we are too remote for that to be easy. I am not really interested in a 5-6 hour RT car ride to see a national park. So, we just sit, read, sleep and eat. Not too bad a life in the grand scheme of things. :-)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MyDogCiara
Dear MyDogCiara, I am glad you and your husband had the chance to relax here in paradise and our staff was helpful to you both. The Pura Vida lifestyle you experienced can be a great way to spend your vacation. We would love the chance to have you back and keep you busy with our many activities from cooking classes to sports to our art studio. Take care and thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,115 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!