“Spectacular Service, Spacious Rooms, Great Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
“Spectacular Service, Spacious Rooms, Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Our family stayed for a week at the Four Seasons Resort at Peninsula Papagayo and had a wonderful experience. A few of us have previously been to the resort and are returning for second and third times. While expensive, as all Four Seasons properties are, the service is spectacular, the rooms spacious, and the food at the various on-resort and off-resort locations were great.

Amenities: The resort has everything you can think of including spa, gym, sauna, multiple salt water pools, two beaches, complimentary non-moterized water activities, and daily excursions from the resort ranging from rainforest tours to zip-lining. Two beaches are available for guests on the property. One beach was more of a lounging beach, with the usual beach-side drink and food service, while the other beach had slightly rougher water due to exposure to the open sea but had activities like wind surfing, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, snorkeling, and surfing. The water is blue and was warm during our stay. They warm of jellyfish in the area, but we never saw any. Multiple salt water pools were available, including some exclusively for adults and kinds.

Activities: A daily copy of activities was delivered to the room every morning and outlined various individual and group activities such as cooking classes, chocolate making classes, mini-golf, nature hikes, sunset kayaking, group snorkeling, and introduction to surfing. While most activities were complementary, the ones involving yoga, chocolate making, and some lessons had a nominal fee. We found the activities we participated in enjoyable and learned a good bit from the native staff at the hotel.

Rooms: We stayed in the ocean view rooms and found them well appointed and spacious. The king-sized beds were very comfortable and the outside deck, where breakfast was served, was a nice place to relax while getting ready in the morning and eating breakfast. We had a few special occasions while staying and the Four Seasons made sure to take special care of anniversaries. We appreciated the small details like aloe in the rooms after some days on the beach where we got a little more burned than we had hoped to.

Excusions: The concierge was helpful in setting up recommended tours and found professional guides that spoke in both Spanish and English to our family (some of our family is fluent in Spanish but most are not). We did zip-lining at Witches' Rock and a rainforest tour with Sensoria. The zip-lining was wonderful and only 20 minutes from the hotel. The rainforest tour with Sensoria, however, was a bit of a let-down. The 2.5 hour drive there and back took up most of the time. At Sensoria, we unfortunately did not see any wildlife but did get to experience some waterfalls and a guided flora tour.

Food: The restaurants on the property are wonderful and reservations are essential at all locations. It is recommended that reservations should be make prior to arrival in Costa Rica. Di Mare is an Italian restaurant that serves classic Italian dishes with an emphasis on seafood. Marea is not on the Four Seasons property but is at a nearby beach club. We thought this food was the best, given its Asian-Costa Rican fusion menu that emphasized fresh fish. The steakhouse, Caracol, at the golf course served wonderful filet and the Costa Rican filet that is less fatty and a little more chewy than normal filet mignon. The service at all places was fantastic and the food inventive and inspired with local flavors. The prices are typical of the Four Seasons and are quoted in dollars instead of the local currency.

Overall, we had a fantastic stay at Peninsula Papagayo. The staff were willing to help correct any grievances and found a way to make every experience pleasurable. We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Austin M
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Austin, thank you for your great review. I am happy to know that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed every moment of it. I appreciate your detailed comments and hope we can go beyond your expectations every time you stay with us. This is a very special year for us, as you may know, for we are celebrating our 10 anniversary, and will have lots of great activities to celebrate it. The Pura Vida life style of Costa Rica's Four Seasons awaits for you because you deserve it! Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We visited Papagayo for the day, so our review is only based on a days visit, but wow, if we could afford it we would definately have stayed. For those of us who can't afford the £1,000 a night stay, I would recommend a day visit to anyone.

We visited as part of our honeymoon so we had a round of golf, with tuition, and then a Pacifica Couples experience. The golf is truly one of the most beautiful places I have been, I have not played golf before (I played pitch and putt as a child) and was worried I would hold people up, but not so here, they leave plenty of time between tee times, the coach was amazing, and it is honestly worth it just for the views, beautiful sandy coves, hilly terrain and birds and exotic wildlife everywhere. The golf carts come with their own fridge and every half an hour someone comes and offers to fill it up for you. I maanged to play 9 holes and by the end was even cosnidering taking it up. My husband (the real golfer) said it was one of the best days of his life.

The staff at the resort are aboslutely amazing, attentive but not intrusive, helpful without being over friendly, and everywhere we went was immaculate. The food in the restaurant was great, they have a whole separate vegetarian menu and unbelievably resonably priced. In fact, the food was cheaper (and better) than at many much cheaper places we stayed at.

The spa is also fantastic, the changing rooms have a balcony outside with a long thin plunge pool and loungers- and the changing rooms don't juyst have shampoo and conditioner, but hair brushes, full make-up sets, cleansers, hand lotion- you name it.... and good quality too. The room has it's own large bath for two, showers and large windows to look out to sea (tinted to people can't see in). The half an hour you get with it to yourself is very very romantic.

Livia at the spa helped us arrange our day and made it so special, thank you, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone, just beautiful.

Ali and Ant xx

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happyhippy2000
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your beautiful review and kind comments about our golf course and spa at Four Seasons Costa Rica. I was so happy to hear how much you and your husband enjoyed our golf course, designed by Arnold Palmer and also an Audubon Sanctuary; hope you do take up golf and return again soon to play our course! Thank you for your positive comments about our staff and service. Wonderful to hear that Livia, our Spa Director, was able to arrange a spa experience for you that was so enjoyable. I truly hope to have you and your husband back to our property soon. Until then, pura vida! Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Fuquay Varina, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

As I type this email I am on my second of six nights at the Four Seasons Papagayo. This is my 10th different Four Seasons property stay ranging from Nevis to Istanbul to Bangkok to Philadelphia and five others.

My advise as a seasoned pleasure traveller is to stay at the Andaz Papagayo instead. I consider myself a hotel connesiour having stayed around the world at hundreds of beautiful hotels including Aman Resorts, Peninsula, and many upper end boutique hotels. My stay at this hotel I consider one of my most disappointing.

This is no fault of the staff. They are all good. And the hotel is nice in a "Marriott" or "Hilton" kind of way.

But for the price paid of over US$1300 per night, I think after my visit to the Andaz I would really recommend the Andaz over the Four Seasons at Papagayo for these reasons:

1) Price. Andaz for a better suite is almost 1/2 the price. The difference for six days is over $2,500 even after the "fifth night free" offer by Four Seasons.

2) Ambience. Andaz is much much much more chic and modern. I can't describe nor do the photos do justice to the difference.

3) Food. You are pretty much captive on the property at either location. Four Seasons food is very boring. Andaz Papagayo is extraordinaire.

4) Bar. A bunch of worn out husbands and wives sit around with their kids at Four Seasons. The bar at Andaz is fabulous, innovative, with all smiles, and Antony is perhaps the best "mixologists" I have ever met...using local ingredients in very innovative ways.

5) Clientele. If you need a place to park the kids and then simply exist on your holiday...then stay at the Four Seasons. If you want to feel young and new and still give your kids a great experience...then stay at Andaz. If you don't have kids...then the Andaz is definitely your place.

6) Views. Far superior at the Andaz with floor-to-ceiling windows, private plunge pools at the suite, infinity pools for the general public, truly quiet adult pools, a fantastic check in area, etc...

I could keep going. I never write these type of reviews. But I am so shocked at my very very average Four Seasons experience here in Papagayo

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
20 Thank KHM
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at Four Seasons Costa Rica. I am very sorry your stay was not all that you had hoped for. Your feedback helps us to continually improve our offerings. I appreciate your positive comment about our team at the resort. You make an important point about families, and we are proud to provide an incredible experience at Four Seasons Costa Rica for families, parents and children of all ages with excellent and complimentary offerings such as the Kids for All Seasons club with unique, fun indoor and outdoor activities all year long. During certain times of the year such as Spring Break, we have many families in house. Other times of year, we host hundreds of honeymooning couples and adults only groups on golf and adventure getaways. Our wide range of accommodations allows us to please many types of guests with varying needs - whether that be a romantic trip or family getaway.

In addition, I am sorry you did not enjoy the food and beverage experience on property. We continue to innovate at our restaurants, with our new Taste the Stars dinner experience at Caracol the latest example. We also offer cooking classes including a raved about Costa Rican chocolate making class every week. Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Pura vida,

Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Golden, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

We did not stay at the hotel, but in a nearby condo. Hotel food and drinks were ridiculously expensive. All facilities were first class and service on the beach and off was too. Caracal (?) restaurant at the Clubhouse was outstanding but I had the impression that we were the only ones there who cared how much things cost.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Glen E
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience at Four Seasons Costa Rica. I truly appreciate your kind comments about our facilities, service and the quality of the food at Caracol. In collaboration with Costa Rican-born NASA astronaut Franklin Chang Diaz, we just launched a new culinary experience called Taste the Stars at Caracol. If you are again in the area, we would love to have you join us for this unique experience. I respect your comment about pricing and we certainly make a strong effort to ensure every stay is one that is high value. I hope we can have you back at the resort soon, thanks again. Pascal Forotti, General Manager
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Very beautiful resort located on the Peninsula Papagayo. The spa was outstanding. The service was excellent. The employees were extremely friendly.
We enjoyed sitting on our balcony in the evening & watching the monkeys play. Our room was very nice & clean. The food was average at best.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to share your experience at Four Seasons Costa Rica. I appreciate your positive words about our spa, service, accommodations and team. We are so proud to have such talented and caring employees and I am glad to hear that was evident during your stay. Sorry to hear your food experience was not outstanding, but my hope is you are able to come back so we can 'wow' you with our wonderful culinary offerings next time. Pura vida! Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

This will certainly live up to your expectations. The service and accommodations are both wonderful. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your room category to the Canopy Suite. Any category below that is VERY nice, however, when you are in a Canopy Suite, it's like your own private villa.....further UP THE HILL, which means the views are to die for. Stunning. Some have private plunge pools. If you are going all that way and staying at the Four Seasons anyway, why stop short right before perfection? The views from the other rooms are nice, you'll see water....but those Canopy Suites will guarantee you some amazing peninsula views and beautiful birds and monkeys in the trees outside your room. This is Costa Rica!

The restaurants are quite nice, food is great, and there are multiple choices. Make sure you book with a travel professional who can get your breakfast included if it isn't already because otherwise the buffet is going to cost you about $80 bucks for two people. The pool areas are lovely. Definitely do the off site zip lining. It's a very well run, professional operation. Get off site entirely and take advantage of their tours and sightseeing. The Four Seasons is wonderful, but they do create a bubble of their own and you're not actually seeing 'the real' Costa Rica!! Do some of the day trips and park excursions, it will be worth it.. It will really round out your entire experience. The best way to do this would be the Four Seasons in combination with a luxury lodge in the rain forest. Pacuare Lodge is on my radar.

This is top notch and a great place to recharge your batteries.

Room Tip: Canopy Suite!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SafariSnob
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for all of your kind words. It was great to hear how much you enjoyed the Canopy Suite - our own version of a luxury tree house - and so happy to hear that you enjoyed the wildlife outside your room. Your recommendations on how to best enjoy your stay are outstanding and truly appreciated. We now offer a few different zip lining experiences, all of them relatively close to the resort and a great way to see Costa Rica from up high! I hope we are able to have you back again soon! Thank you again and pura vida. Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
East Sandwich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Spent the first 3 days in a Canopy Suite for pleasure, and the next 3 on a sales reward trip in a basic room. All have ocean front views, private seating areas, large size and beautiful amenities. The service throughout the resort is a 10, it doesn't matter which department or person you deal with, the consistency and professionalism is the same. Played golf 3 times and it is one of the most beautiful courses I have ever been on and not crowded. We thought the food was very good and enough of a variety considering once you are on the resort, really no place to travel unless you want at least a 45 minute drive. Very expensive....but it is a luxury property...there are many activities as part of your room fee.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank capecodders284
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your insights and kind comments on our resort. In particular, I appreciate your compliments about our service -- we are so proud of our team at Four Seasons Costa Rica and were actually recognized in 2013 by Travel + Leisure as one of the best resorts worldwide for service. I am glad you were able to enjoy our Arnold Palmer signature golf course and hope you had some wonderful animal sightings as well. Please come back and see us again soon! Pura vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
#3 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,427 reviews
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!