“Great food and golf”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Houston, Texas
“Great food and golf”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I found much of the food in Costa Rica uninteresting. Beans, rice, fish. Nothing wrong with it but lean on flavor. Not so at the FS. Golf course was great with lots of variety and elevation changes. The hotel is on a peninsula at the point it narrows before widening out again, so it's only a few steps to beaches on either side. Rooms were of the same quality you would expect from a FS resort in the US and better than many of their business center properties. I would say this is more often a destination trip since it is away from other towns on the coast. After checking out we got a car at Liberia airrt to visit some of the other coastal towns to the south, like Flamingo and Tamarindo. (The FS is very close to the border of Nicaragua.) Many comments about theft being common, but not much violent crime. Compared to Mexico, the countyside is much more empty and there is less of a sense of cultural history.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here July 8-14 with my family (ages ranged from 11, 20, mid-20s, & 50s). LOVED the resort & the staff was AMAZING! We were greeted with cool towels & local juice upon arrival. Everyone was incredibly friendly. We enjoyed the complimentary activities (make sure to sign up). We were a little disappointed in the food at the hotel ( the food was average but expected it to be much better considering the price). We actually enjoyed the food from local restaurants more than the hotel food. I really enjoyed the hot/cool pools in the spa, especially at sunset! Our favorite excursion where a crew took us for a day if watersports, lunch, to visit a local beach/cave. Not sure of the name of the excursion, but the concierge recommended & it was definitely worth it & the crew was wonderful! We cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went here years ago to go fishing and said I would come back and bring the kids, and I did in August 2013. The fishing here is amazing, and there are hundreds of fish right off shore. We caught tuna, bonita, gar; and also saw manta's cartwheeling in the air next to the boat; dolphins having a blast, whales off in the distance; and most importantly, we hooked into sailfish, but did not land any. Still it was light tackle, and to fight a sail for 8 or 10 minutes was a hoot and a half. We also saw sea turtles and they were very friendly. At the resort there are monkeys and some other crazy critters (kids loved them) and there is a massive 130 foot staircase by the beach that many overlook. We also had fun as a family exploring the rocks at either end of both the beach and the bay. The food is really incredible. And the chef cooked our tuna two nights in a row- the fish that we caught for $15. What a hoot. The staff is really nice and friendly. Four Seasons knows their business. Cheers!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor in the jungle. This was cool because we saw animals right outside the p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Paumanok123
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have always been a fan of the Four Seasons but our recent stay at Peninsula Papagayo has now made me a loyal customer. Staff has mastered the art of making guest feel relaxed, welcomed and handle every detail. They "get" service so that one can truly feel and be on vacation. The pick up from the airport, checkin, turn down and room service are exemplary customer service.

The fish tacos and mojitos are some of the best I have had anywhere in the world. The sunsets are breath taking and on par with Oia in Greece. The concierge scheduled excursions tailored to our wishes and selected excellent and personable guides.

Of special note, I greatly appreciated that the managers circulate throughout the property to ensure that guest are enjoying their stay and actively solicit feedback. That is a hallmark of organization committed to great service.

My only non-stellar comment is that the spa services require a bit of enhancement. The space is top notch but the treatment execution did not match the lovely view of the beach from spa or price point. Treatments were adequate but not outstanding as one might expect.

I look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Third floor and near the pool was an exceptional convenient location to everything.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I just returned from the Four Seasons Peninsula Papagayo Resort where we stayed for four nights, and can't express enough how wonderful our trip was. I relied heavily on the reviews here before booking our trip, so I know how valuable the feedback can be. I broke my feedback into several sections; in a nutshell, book it, you won't be disappointed!

1. Food: Yes, the food is expensive. Plan $50 for lunch and $100 for dinner for two people (not counting alcohol). But that said, all the food was spectacular and they had options for all tastes. As someone with a sensitive stomach, I'm always weary traveling out of the country. But all the food was fresh, had Costa Rican flair and was very upscale. I definitely believe we got what we paid for and was very happy with the selections available. Marea, the seafood restaurant at the Beach Club, was our favorite but they were all very good.

2. Beaches: Beautiful and pristine! The activity beach was not as pretty, but we had a blast with the complimentary activities like paddleboarding and kayaking. The views you can get of the area from the water are beautiful. Equipment was always available when we needed it and the instructors were very helpful.

3. Golf: A must! The views from almost all the holes show beautiful water views, and the howler monkeys in the background make for a very fun round of golf. My husband is an avid golfer and says it was by far the best course he's ever played.

4: Service: The staff at this resort is AMAZING. Not only is the service impeccable, they are genuinely kind and helpful. Everyone went out of their way to make sure our requests were met, and all reservations, room service, etc. were on time. Antonio at the pool was the best, he was always smiling!

5. Other: We traveled in the wet season, and the weather was great. It did rain/storm one afternoon but we were able to get in our beach time before the storm hit.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor at the second building. Location was perfect, close to everything and beach...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed here from July 6-13th, 2013. We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa where all the 3 rooms were really spacious, clean and even had a protective remote-controlled retractable mosquito net in the common dining area. Service was above average, but those staff in the pool area were very disappointing; since my family & I were taking a late swim @ around 7pm one night, they made you feel that since they're already off their shift, they didn't have to help you anymore. And to make things worse, they (unknowingly or deliberately) dropped my family's clothes, towels and even my son's iPhone that we placed on top of their service station on the floor! I thought it was a fluke but then I remembered, the night before they gave us the same cold treatment!
The beach is not so nice as I've seen better resorts with white (& cleaner) sand. As a whole, I still give it a 4 star because of their over-all service & everything else that Four Seasons is known for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had a great time at the resort, as a family of 4 with two kids this resort offered something for everyone. They have one of the best "kids clubs" around with so many activities like movie nite in the pool, hermit crab races, tennis clinic, dance party, and hikes through the trails. The kids never want to leave the club. You could relax near the pool or by the beach where the staff would attend to your needs. We found it was never a problem to find lounge chairs or shade at the resort with lots of water toys for the little ones. No need to tip because it's included on your bill, unless you would like to give a little extra.
There were tons of activities for the adults, many of them at no extra cost. We did the boat tour to Monkey Head Island, golf swing clinic, mixology, kayak/snorkel tour, paddleboard lessons, floral arranging, wish lanterns, and golf course tour. I found these activities very good and quite in-depth considering there was no cost.
The recreation staff was quite helpful with kayaks, paddleboards, etc...They would give us quick tips on the equipment before we use them and always willing to take our pictures.
The world class golf course offered amazing views from almost every hole and was extremely well kept. This is a must for any golfer.
The food was good, but was expensive considering we were staying for a week. Unfortunately the resort is isolated and the closes restaurant is over 1/2 hr away. On the positive side the kids’ meals were reasonable and offered their favorites like chicken fingers, hamburgers, mac & cheese, etc.
Overall the staff was friendly and very accommodating, most of them spoke English. The resort is nothing less than Four Season standards, everything is clean and well kept, but still maintaining the natural tropical feel of Costa Rica.

The people of Costa Rica seem so “down to earth” and the region doesn’t feel like a tourist trap. I can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!