“If you go to fish...don't forget about the Marina Charters!”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed August 20, 2013

If you go—don’t forget the visit the Marina and Dive Bar—located outside the circle of the main gate. It seems very strange that the Four Seasons doesn’t promote this “Hidden Treasure” or the use of Morrow Sport Fishing which hosts a professional and 1st Class Captain. My husband does a lot of bill fishing in the states and he was thrilled with this experience. They caught 14 sailfish within a 10 hour period. Captain Rick and mate, Pelon were so experienced. At first we were not catching anything- as we went out 20 miles (which is usual for most of the other companies) so they went out the distance to warmer waters where we immediately got into the billfish. Also, the Dive Bar (in the marina) is THEE best place to have your fished cooked (however you would like it) They prepared the Dorado we caught and was by-far the BEST meal of our week!

Room Tip: We stayed in a private residence on Peninsula Papagayo.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank D P

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Located on a peninsula this hotel is a beautiful place to visit and relax. Although our stay was short we were provided excellent, friendly services by all the hotel staff. The beaches are fantastic with great sunset views and the water sports are a highlight of this paradise like trip. There is plenty to do from golf, kayaking, paddle boarding, snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing and 3 different pools to choose from at this resort. The rooms are very well appointed and the comfort / quality is indicative of what this high end hotel has to offer. There are about six restaurants on the property to choose from and the food was good as well as the service. Try having the breakfast included in your room rates during your stay and it will save you some money ( eat a large buffet breakfast and you will be all set up until dinner). Try also the hanging bridges which is an extra trip outside the hotel as a side trip during your stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ejvalls
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay, myself, husband and 2 daughters ages 19 and 16. If you've read a number of reviews here, you already know that the Four Seasons in Costa Rica is spectacular and the service is impeccable so I don't have to tell you that again!

I had a couple of minor disappointments so I'm sharing this information in an effort to help the next traveler. First, although all the staff is eager to assist you in every way (they even offer to clean your sunglasses!), they don't actually offer you any meaningful information about the resort itself unless you ask. Upon check in I had to ask about dining options and activities, otherwise no one would have told me. I had to dig through all the drawers in the hotel room to find a map of the resort neatly tucked away in the desk. (Make sure you dig; you'll find all sorts of good stuff like flashlights in the nighttable drawer and a bottle of insect repellant in the closet, although I did not experience any of the bugs mentioned by a previous reviewer and I was there at the same time.)

Apparently there is a daily newsletter that gives the schedule of activities and tells you which restaurants are open (they are not all open every day), but aside from the day's schedule I was given when I asked at check in, I never saw another one during our entire stay. Wouldn't it be nice to find tomorrow's schedule in your room each night with the turn-down service?

Also, there is a well-stocked shop (snacks, souvenirs, etc) just off the lobby which is so well hidden that I never knew it was there until I went to use the lobby ladies room on my way to check out. FYI, there is an ATM there too if you need it.

I know that when you're visiting a remote beach resort WiFi should not be your highest priority, however I needed to stay connected so it was important for me. Unfortunately you will not find any info in your room about how to connect so my daughter mistakenly connected via the "standard" option which only allows one device for a fee of $10/day. It took 15 minutes on the phone for the staff to disconnect us from the standard option and connect us to the "premium" option (which allows 4 devices for $20/day). Needless to say, this was somewhat frustrating and I was on the verge of being really annoyed, but kudos to Jose Ramirez for his calm, cool customer service in getting me connected. He is a shining example of Four Seasons professionalism and I truly appreciated his patience.

I will also reiterate what many visitors have said about the food. If you are here more than 3-4 nights, your options are limited and EXPENSIVE!! A family of 4 will easily spend $500/day on meals without being extravagant. Mixed drinks can be $12-15 and contain a thimble of alcohol. Disappointing, but not unexpected. We learned that families here for longer stays had rented one of the 2-3 bedroom villas (farther from the main resort buildings) that have a full kitchen, and they stopped at a grocery store in Liberia to buy food/liquor before coming to the resort.

We ate at almost all the restaurants on the property (including ordering lunch on the beach). Service was relaxed, but I would not describe it as slow. Also note that dress is slightly more casual than at other 4S we've been to, which definitely makes packing somewhat easier.
Caracol: outstanding steaks. Make sure you visit the place during the day as you will miss out on the view during your dinner. Sunset is 5:30pm here so it gets dark very early.
Congo's: rodizio was fantastic, but at $58/person make sure you are absolutely starving when you go! This is one place where you can't save $$ by sharing an entree, which we did at most other locations.
DiMare: delicious, but make sure your kids understand this isn't a "pasta and tomato sauce" type of Italian restaurant or they will be sorely disappointed.

Note that there are 2 beaches. One is the activities beach, which, as described by another reviewer, has a lot of trees and is somewhat rocky so not as pleasant for swimming but this is where you will find the kayaks, volleyball, etc. The other beach is an expanse of soft white sand with sturdy, comfortable beach chairs that the staff will happily move from sun to shade and back again at your whim. Sunscreen is available everywhere. The water is crystal clear and calm. Delightful. (If it matters to you, WiFi connection was great even at the beach.)

The spa....ahhh the spa. Yes, it's expensive, but if you're from the NYC area as I am, the prices are not unreasonable. I had a deep tissue massage (60 minutes/$160) with Randall which was one of the best I've ever had, comparable to the Enchantment Resort in Sedona. The fitness rooms are well-equipped, yoga class was very enjoyable (get there early as it fills up fast), and the locker rooms are beautiful. Make sure to use the hydrotherapy pool on the terrace outside the locker room.

I do have to say it again: this truly is one of the most beautiful places on earth. We had one of the least expensive rooms and it was enormous. (I chuckled when I read another reviewer's comment about the shower/WC doors being a tight squeeze. ??!!) We were on the first floor so our view was through the trees but we could see the water and hear the waves. Each room has an equally enormous screened porch with a large sofa, table and chairs. Perfect for reading or enjoying a room service meal. It was lovely.

The resort is indeed remote, but there are many, many options and activities to keep you occupied. I will say that if you are looking for disco nightlife, this is not it. This is definitely a family resort and by 9pm the restaurants are quiet and there is little activity.

We left the resort only to do the Witches Rock Canopy Tour which I highly recommend (about a 30 minute ride from 4S). Also, we tried to do the Trail of Giants tour of the golf course but it was full when we wanted to go. The concierge advised that after 4pm we could rent a golf cart ($25) and drive the course ourselves which was a fabulous option because we could travel at our own pace and saw many beautiful birds, coatis and howler monkeys. Just be mindful that you have to be back at the clubhouse before dark.

We stayed 3 nights at the Nayara Resort in Arenal (see my review of that hotel) before arriving at Four Seasons. The two resorts complemented each other beautifully and made for a wonderful vacation. All in all, Four Seasons is a spectacularly relaxing place and I would happily come back again. If you can afford to stay here, do it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank farawayNJ
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was lucky enough to be part of my friend's all expense paid company vacation package and had the opportunity to stay at the Peninsula Papagayo Four Seasons Hotel Property. Although my stay was comfortable and the experience with the staff was terrific, I was expecting a little more from the hotel as a whole.

The pros:
1. Staff was extremely friendly and accommodating
2. Rooms were clean and well presented.
3. Golf carts were always around to pick you up and drop you off since the property is very spread out.
4. Internet was stable for the most part
5. Hotel grounds were extremely well maintained.

The Cons:
1. Food selection was VERY poor and extremely expensive!!! Lunch costs us $120 and we ordered a chicken wrap (bland and tasteless), Fish and Chips, and 2 drinks. They had several restaurants but the choices were pretty much the same and you could order from all the menus regardless of where you sat.
2. Breakfast buffet was nothing to write home about. If i were to pay over $100 for a 2 person breakfast, I would expect more options than what was available.
3. Cost for food and drinks was astronomical but the value was simply not there.
4. The property is secluded and is at least 30 minutes away from any kind of outside life so you are pretty much stuck unless you want to pay $110 for a taxi ride into town.
5. Pool service was SLOW
6. Lots of bug bites from this hotel. (I stayed at Monteverde at El Establo for 5 days prior, went into the rainforest for a few tours and never got bitten until the four seasons)
7. Bathroom & Shower doors were poorly designed so it was difficult to get in and out. A tight squeeze.
8. internet cost was $20 per day. You would think with the rates they are charging it should come free.
9. Private beach was not really swimable and trees covered the majority of the beach area so tanning had to be done by the pool.
10. Spa services were expensive and although the massage i got was very relaxing, the spa amenities were limited.

If i were to go back to Peninsula Papagayo I would most likely not stay at the four seasons. There are plenty of other hotels (some all inclusive) that offer more for less.

Room Tip: Any room is great but if you want to be close to the main entrance and pool area stay in buildings 1...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Neener415
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have been to this property many times (over 15) and always had an outstanding experience.
For the first time the property seems run down and the service sloppy. When we arrived our reservation did not appear on the gate list. The amenities are poor and limited. We had always been surprised and very pleased by the details and great service. It is a shame that for many years they had such wonderful standards and suddenly it all changed.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Costaricavisit
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Beautiful location, clean and comfortable rooms, friendly staff. The sunset is amazing.

We have stayed in many Ritz and Four Season's and this place is one of the best! The only negative is the mosquito's, but that is all of Costa Rica.

They have free snow cones for the kids. The kids club is amazing, they have tennis lessons, art, mini golf, etc... They constantly bring you free snacks by the pool and the beach.

We arranged our own deep sea fishing excursion which was a lot less expensive than going through the hotel.

Room Tip: Arrange your own transportation to and from the airport you save $100 each way!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent 7 nights with 2 other couples and this was one of the best vacations we've been on. We rented a 3 bedroom villa with plunge pool and large deck looking due West over the ocean. Service and accommodations were 5+ star, and the people of Costa Rica were very friendly and proud of their country. The golf course has probably 8 of the most beautiful holes you will ever see. Even if not a golfer, you can rent a cart and drive the course for a cocktail hour cruise. The river tour was very enjoyable and not too much. The tour company was great, however, do not try a one day "turn-a-round" trip to Arenal Volcano. Too much to see in too little time, and the 3 1/2 hr ride home at night in a driving downpour on windy roads was horrific at best.

Room Tip: Get a room with a plunge pool.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!