“Fantastic Four Seasons resort where you dont ever need to leave the property”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife, son and family friends with their three children stayed at the residence section of the property. We very much enjoyed our stay and all the restaurant offerings. Our favorite was the Boat Club/Beach Club restaurant - it is part of the penninsula consordiam and has no boats but is the best restaurant on the Papagayo Penninsula - worth the 4 minute van ride.

We also enjoyed the Giants Tour on the golf course with the golf carts. Amazing view of the beach/nature and there is basically nobody on the golf course.

The service was fantastic and the two beaches, two pools, four restuarant offerings and great kids club kept everyone happy.

My only very simple and minor two recommendations are as follows:

1) This resort should be more accomodating with free bottled water in the room considering the challenges with tap water in the area - we were "rationed" only six small bottles a day with six people in our Residence sweet. This did not work.

2) There were so many great free ammenities offered at the pool area throughout the day. However for some reason when the ice cream cart rolled out they decided to charge eight dollars for a small snow cone. This to me made no sense considering all othe special pool side offerings were all free with the exception of the snow cones.This seemed a bit illogical. Punta Mita in Mexico for example gives out free Hogen Das Ice Cream.

Overall an amazing experience and I can't thank the hotel and staff for such great customer focus.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank orlowf_manhattan
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

I am glad to read that you “don’t ever need to leave the property” … we love to spoil you all day long. And happy to know you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your feedback on the water and ice cream, we appreciate your feedback and will increase our free offerings around the resort – did you have a Pipa Fria? Delicious coconut, chopped open with a machete right in front of you! Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

While in Costa Rica we rented a private villa that was across the bay from the Four Seasons and looked down on it every morning and evening. We decided to venture over to have lunch on our last afternoon.

The grounds are what you would expect for a first class resort, but I really felt like a let the "True" Costa Rica at the gate. You have to have reservations to get through the gate, but the guard was happy to do that for me, since I had made an inquiry online about dining there, so do take that into account.

We dined on the patio over looking the beach and had a choice of 3 dining room menus. The food was good, and the Mango cheese cake was one of the best I have had. The kids really liked their meals of Cajun Fish Tacos and Chimichanga. My Ceviche was ok, but the popcorn shrimp was heavenly. It was serviced on a bed of popcorn that had a jalapeno honey sauce. Just try it!

We had friends join us for lunch. Several iguanas were on the deck on the building, and you could get fairly close. There was even an on at the guard gate ready to welcome you. The magpies would just jump right on the tables and try to dine with you. You can tell that the animals are a little more "domesticated" on the grounds then elsewhere.

Overall my son was impressed enough that he would considered the resort as a place to stay for his honeymoon.

Debi

Debi

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Debi, I am glad to know that your lunch experience was that great and full of wildlife! Imagine what a whole stay would be like? And let’s book that honeymoon for your son - will personally offer a suite upgrade! Hope you can visit us soon and experience the Pura Vida life style of our resort! Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Loved the layout and service was amazing as well as food and Gym. We stayed here on the last leg of our trip after exploring the rain forest. It was the perfect way to unwind before heading back to the states. There was an algae problem with the ocean when were there but I assume that was a temporary thing and the pools were amazing and made up for it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Gregg, it was great you had the chance to relax in our property before heading back to New York – back to the concrete jungle! Having lived in the Big Apple, I know this is a perfect place to escape the concrete jungle. The algae is temporary indeed, glad you could enjoy one of our four pools in the meantime. Did you have a peak at our private cabanas? Best regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Our entire group of about 120 people stayed here for our recent Experian Elite award trip. It was phenomenal. This was my first stay at a Four Seasons and a resort at that. It certainly lived up to all the recommendations that I heard. I'm a believer in their brand now. The service was absolutely impeccable. They take care of your every need. The staff is incredibly friendly and accomodating as were all the Costa Ricans we met along the way. The people, scenery and wildlife can't be beat. I would definitely recommend a visit to the spa while there. You can get a massage anywhere but not of the quality offered here. By the time my masseuse was done with me, I was ready to propose (just kidding, I'm married ... but you get the idea.) It was suppose to be 'rainy' season and, although it was overcast at times, we literally only had 5 minutes of rain in the middle of our ATV tour. Speaking of which, I'd highly recommend the jet skis and eco water boat tour as well. Be prepared, as it was very hot and humid the whole time we were there. In addition, the wildlife may interfere with some plans as my wife and I learned. We tried to have a nice, romantic beach dinner but the hermit crabs though otherwise. It was sad to leave but we were ready to get home and see the kids and pets, etc. I'm not sure if I'll ever be back or not but would highly recommend this resort for anyone that wants to be pampered in Four Seasons style and an eco-tourism vacation.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and go for a suite up in the hills over the rainforest canopy. I'd recommen...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert S

Dear Robert, thank you for your kind comments in reference to our staff. Among all the great things we offer, it is our staff that I am the proudest off. We certainly believe they are our greatest asset. I hope you can come back any time in the future. Best Regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This place is simply beautiful. The main entrance is grandiose. The rooms are clean, well maintained, nicely decorated. I went there few months after they opened so everything was top perfect. Your every little need is being care by the friendly staff. we stay for 4 days and for two nights, I slept in the terrace, the sofa was big enough and there was a screen for mosquitoes. All I could hear was raccoons running arounds, We saw, moneys, iguanas, beautiful birds.... I had a cooking class with the french chef too, chocolate mousse! Simply exceptional.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank olympiaa2010

Dear “olympiaa2010”, thank you for your review. I am happy that your stay met your expectations and had a nice experience. I am sure you are ready to come back and revive all the amazing things you remember – and next time, try our Chef’s Table. Eat while surrounded by our chefs, watching how skillful they prepare every dish – LOVE IT! Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We spent a week here and loved every minute of it. We had a suite on the second floor and fell in love. The views were magnificent and the monkeys came right up to our balcony which enamored me. I could go on and on about the magnificence of the suite appointment but would rather focus on the service. Impeccable. The staff make you feel like you are the only ones staying in the hotel. They are attentive and available for every need. My husband arranged a private dinner on the beach and the concierge had a path dug in the sand with luminaries and tiki torches lining the way. The table was set with white cloths. Just perfect. When you stay here, don't forget to go on the excursions. They are a LOT of fun and give you a great taste of the Guanecaste province.

Room Tip: Choose a suite on the second floor for a picture perfect sunset every night. Want to splurge? Choo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were travelling with 38 of our closest friends and relatives for our wedding at Four Seasons, Costa Rica. Mariela Giordano (wedding planner) went out of her way to deliver our dream wedding at Four Seasons.
From the lush property to the top-notch service, we're extremely gratefully for all the staff at Four Seasons, Costa Rica for making our dream wedding into a reality.
Mariela was extremely helpful, knowledgable and provided her expert recommendations in planning our wedding.
All the guests couldn't stop raving about the grand scale of the resort, and the superb service.
From entering the grounds of Four Seasons to the 7km drive up to the resort from the main entrance. We were awed by the beauty of the property. We were greeted by the friendly staff of Four Seasons. Mariela gave us an early wedding present by surprising us with an upgrade to a plunge room. The plunge pool room was amazing! The wedding was absolutely perfect! The ceremony was held at Virador Beach, followed by Dinner Reception at Armadilo Pavillion. Thank you Four Seasons staff and Mariela for everything! It truly was a memorable event!
Wedding Planning & Execution: 5 out of 5

Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!