“Heavenly Rain Forest Get-Away”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
“Heavenly Rain Forest Get-Away”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Tucked away in a beautiful forest inhabited by howler monkeys, the Four Seasons Resorts charms you the moment you arrive. It has an exotic feel to it, yet it still maintains all the comforts that Four Season Resorts are noted for. The series of pools and water falls reminded me of Tarzan movies.
The golf course was one of the best I have ever played on. My stay there was romantic exotic. We stayed in one of the Residence Suites and I still dream about it! Definitely 5+ star rating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MaryEllen C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I returned to the Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo for another Thanksgiving vacation (2012). This trip was just as excellent as our first trip was 3 years ago.

Airport: Since we visited 3 years ago, Liberia has built a brand new airport that is fabulous! No more hot, open-air gates and rustic bathrooms. Such a pleasant surprise! We again arranged to have Swiss Travel transport us between the airport and the hotel. Like before, we were scheduled/paid for shared van service, but ended up having a private ride in both directions. This company was terrific, the drivers were very friendly and knowledgeable, and they even stopped along the way for us to buy groceries and take pictures of wildlife.

Hotel: Although we did not get upgraded on this trip (as we did 3 yrs ago), we had no complaints as the view from our 2nd floor room was better than when we stayed on the 3rd floor in the same building. The rooms are exactly the same layout/size, so we are now confident that it is not worth the extra $100 per night to stay one floor higher. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and knowledgeable and are a big reason why we came back for a second visit. We took advantage of the spa and the golf course and we booked a private beach dinner. While it was very pricey, it was worth every penny. We were even serenaded during our meal! One thing we discovered on this trip was a hidden boardwalk that led us on a 20 min walk from the road, along the coast, and back down to the beach. We were also pleasantly surprised to find that sunscreen was provided at every towel station at the beach and pool. We don't remember this being offered 3 years ago.

Activities: Given our previous experience with Tours-Your-Way, we pre-arranged a tour with Mainor Lara who we still highly recommend. He was very responsive via email (same day responses) when booking our trip. We had originally planned to go on the Canon de la Vieja tour (Rafting through the Colorado River Canyon, Rock climbing & Rappelling, Canopy tour), but due to an injury I sustained prior to our trip we had to change our plans at the last minute. Mainor and Miguel (our guide) came up with a new plan and brought us to the Borinquen Mountain Spa for ziplining and hiking. It was fabulous! Miguel was extremely knowledgeable and we learned a lot from him about wildlife, plants, history, etc. His English was incredible and he even helped us with our Spanish. They let us stop by a souvenir shop, bought us coconuts from a stand alongside the road, and finished our trip at a local, open-air taberna. It was like spending the day with lifelong friends! They were willing to bring us anywhere we wanted to go, hence they provide "tours your way". Mainor also arranged for us to go on a sunset sail. This was also a great activity as it picked us up right from our hotel's beach and was much more intimate as only 6 of us were on board the entire evening. It was much more low key than the "booze cruise" sunset catamaran. Food and beverages were provided.

Additional things: bring bug spray! (It's much more expensive in the hotel shop).

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach, but choose the beach without the activities. Lower levels offer better vi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank C&M2006
FSCos, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for such a complete review of your second trip to our property. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed every minute of it. It’s very important for us to get feedback, even from the Airport, which is the first impression our guests have of Costa Rica. We look forward to welcoming you again, and certainly hope to amaze you even more this time!
Pura Vida, Pascal F.
Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This place is like heaven on earth. My wife and I loved every minute of it. The entire staff speaks English and they are super nice and helpful. Food is beyond excellent, room is perfect, spa was one of the best ever, and the grounds are like nothing I've seen. This is a true 5-star resort.

I honestly cannot think of anything negative at all about this place. Except the price which is SUPER HIGH but as long as you are ok with that you can expect an excellent amazing time. I will be back for sure as soon as I save up enough money!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bugeater222
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This resort is sited beautifully on its own hilly peninsula. It is a gorgeous location, and at one spot it is so narrow that you can see the ocean on both sides. This property lives up to the standards of perfection that define 4S, as does its staff.

We stayed in a 2br villa with a plunge pool. It was nicely decorated, very spacious, had several pleasant outdoor spaces (including a shower) and great views. NOTE - the "2nd BR" is really a separate room that is across a little balcony. With very small children this would be an issue.

Pros: Great service, great Kids Club, wonderful ambience overall.Cool golf course nature tour. Children adored the floating trampoline.

Cons: These are not cons for 4S, but for the location ... We went in the "gold season". It should be called brown season. The vistas that surround you are full of brown vegetation. It's sad! Of course, at the 4S itself no expense is spared in keeping their grounds gorgeous and green, but beyond that it is all brown ... oh and unbearably hot. 95 and humid. Do not go during the gold season. Moreover, IMHO there is not much to do at this destination. How many of us want to zipline? The trip to see the volcano is long and it rarely "performs" for tourists.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear 6ContinentsNCounting,
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoy your stay with us. Regarding your comment about the activities within the resort, I would like to invite you to visit us again and try one of our fun and exciting activities, such as stargazing, nature hikes, Chef’s table and cooking classes. Dance and Spanish classes and a lot of water sports. You see, we have lots to offer, it would be a delight to have you back.
Best regards,
Pascal F.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We just returned home this evening & we're reliving all the wonderful experiences we had at this particular Four Seasons (& we've stayed at many). Our favorite property - prior to this visit - is Hualalai, and while we still love it, the CR FS is a close competitor. We are so eager to return. I don't think I've ever seen my husband so sad to leave a spot. We'll do everything we can to return!

The staff was outstanding & extremely friendly. We found the food consistently exceptional (loved all the fresh fish options), and the staff willing to make a dish as you wanted it. Though we mostly deferred to their recommendations. Since we were on the ocean, we ate fish/seafood for every meal. We ate at Papagayo twice for dinner & it was excellent; 3 times at Tico, because we were in the mood for something more low-key, but appreciated the opportunity to order off Dimare, & had great sushi, and the Conga (the Brazilian-themed restaurant) only once, though we would have eagerly gone again if it had been open more during our stay. The food there was exceptional. Best ceviche ever. And every lunch was exceptional; I especially appreciated when I ordered a specific fish, that they told me it wasn't fresh, so to order another type. I followed the advice & always came up w/ a winner meal. Next time we hope to try the restaurants at the beach club & golf course. The seared tuna sandwich I had at the beach club & the tuna burger at the resort pool were 2 of the best resort meals I've had ever. We've returned home determine to eat more fish & fresh food.

Our room - a "brezia" - was wonderful. It would be lovely to rent one of the suite/villas w/ private soak pools, but if you can't, the rooms are a more-than-exceptional alternative.

We can't say enough about the graciousness, helpfulness of the staff. They were, to a person, exceptional. In fact, they're what made it so special.

We didn't take advantage of any of the tours, but will next time.

We just loved the relaxed, easy-going atmosphere of the resort itself, & the birds & wildlife we saw there.

We'd definitely return (& when we do, I'll definitely take advantage of their gorgeous spa; my 1 regret, I didn't have a spa treatment; but it is 1 of the most beautiful I've seen). This is 1 of our best vacations ever & is now at the top of our list of favorite places to visits.

1 other note; this is a place I'd feel very comfortable visiting by myself, for r & r, or just to get away.

Muchos gracias to everyone for making it such a wonderful vacation. Pura vida!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tiffanychuck
Dear Tiffany,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is so important for us to get our guest’s comments so we can improve our service and product every day. I am glad you had a great time with us, and I think it’s a great idea that you are already planning to come back, you will love the spa treatments, you will feel like in heaven!!
Pura Vida,
Pascal
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I love visiting Costa Rica and I am a big fan of Four Seasons (despite my disappointment with
Four Seasons in London) so this vacation was near perfect.
Very attentive staff; fantastic accommodations (we stayed in a suite with plunging pool);
beautiful beaches.
Zip lining and ATV track are near by - both we're a lot of fun.
The best restaurant is Coracol.
Buffet breakfast is very good.
Loved the spa.
I have 2 complains:
-one night one of the guest was a having a party and the music did not stop blasting till 2 am.
-there were 2 weddings during our stay - it felt weird sunbathing next to people getting married on the beach; wedding guests got very loud after the reception.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sasha S
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Going to the Four Seasons in Costa Rica is a truly unique experience! We had a large group with rave reviews of the entire stay... Service is remarkable from all of the individuals from the front desk, to the concierge, to the pool servers, to the spa attendants, to the shuttle drivers, to the bellmen, to the room service, to the dining room servers, to the bar tenders.... all the way up to the management great customer service. Location, Location, Location... compares to very few places on the Planet!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!