“one of our best vacations ever”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Boston, Massachusetts
“one of our best vacations ever”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We just returned home this evening & we're reliving all the wonderful experiences we had at this particular Four Seasons (& we've stayed at many). Our favorite property - prior to this visit - is Hualalai, and while we still love it, the CR FS is a close competitor. We are so eager to return. I don't think I've ever seen my husband so sad to leave a spot. We'll do everything we can to return!

The staff was outstanding & extremely friendly. We found the food consistently exceptional (loved all the fresh fish options), and the staff willing to make a dish as you wanted it. Though we mostly deferred to their recommendations. Since we were on the ocean, we ate fish/seafood for every meal. We ate at Papagayo twice for dinner & it was excellent; 3 times at Tico, because we were in the mood for something more low-key, but appreciated the opportunity to order off Dimare, & had great sushi, and the Conga (the Brazilian-themed restaurant) only once, though we would have eagerly gone again if it had been open more during our stay. The food there was exceptional. Best ceviche ever. And every lunch was exceptional; I especially appreciated when I ordered a specific fish, that they told me it wasn't fresh, so to order another type. I followed the advice & always came up w/ a winner meal. Next time we hope to try the restaurants at the beach club & golf course. The seared tuna sandwich I had at the beach club & the tuna burger at the resort pool were 2 of the best resort meals I've had ever. We've returned home determine to eat more fish & fresh food.

Our room - a "brezia" - was wonderful. It would be lovely to rent one of the suite/villas w/ private soak pools, but if you can't, the rooms are a more-than-exceptional alternative.

We can't say enough about the graciousness, helpfulness of the staff. They were, to a person, exceptional. In fact, they're what made it so special.

We didn't take advantage of any of the tours, but will next time.

We just loved the relaxed, easy-going atmosphere of the resort itself, & the birds & wildlife we saw there.

We'd definitely return (& when we do, I'll definitely take advantage of their gorgeous spa; my 1 regret, I didn't have a spa treatment; but it is 1 of the most beautiful I've seen). This is 1 of our best vacations ever & is now at the top of our list of favorite places to visits.

1 other note; this is a place I'd feel very comfortable visiting by myself, for r & r, or just to get away.

Muchos gracias to everyone for making it such a wonderful vacation. Pura vida!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tiffanychuck
FSCos, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Tiffany,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is so important for us to get our guest’s comments so we can improve our service and product every day. I am glad you had a great time with us, and I think it’s a great idea that you are already planning to come back, you will love the spa treatments, you will feel like in heaven!!
Pura Vida,
Pascal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I love visiting Costa Rica and I am a big fan of Four Seasons (despite my disappointment with
Four Seasons in London) so this vacation was near perfect.
Very attentive staff; fantastic accommodations (we stayed in a suite with plunging pool);
beautiful beaches.
Zip lining and ATV track are near by - both we're a lot of fun.
The best restaurant is Coracol.
Buffet breakfast is very good.
Loved the spa.
I have 2 complains:
-one night one of the guest was a having a party and the music did not stop blasting till 2 am.
-there were 2 weddings during our stay - it felt weird sunbathing next to people getting married on the beach; wedding guests got very loud after the reception.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sasha S
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Going to the Four Seasons in Costa Rica is a truly unique experience! We had a large group with rave reviews of the entire stay... Service is remarkable from all of the individuals from the front desk, to the concierge, to the pool servers, to the spa attendants, to the shuttle drivers, to the bellmen, to the room service, to the dining room servers, to the bar tenders.... all the way up to the management great customer service. Location, Location, Location... compares to very few places on the Planet!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Rooms were lovely, staff phenomenal, food delicious, activities plentiful and fun. Did hikes, kayaking, cooking class, golf course tour, mixology class, reflexology. Woken up one morning by howlers outside our window. Staff are attentive, knowledgeable, helpful. This is an experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank apttravelers
springfield, mo
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed at the Four Seasons Costa Rica for 4 nights. Ate at every restaurant. Di Mare and Steak restaurant were good, the rest were not. Nothing was outstanding. Ate at Stephan Pyles in Dallas the night before we arrived and the quality of the food at Stephan Pyles was much higher than any restaurant at the Four Seasons. Drink prices and food prices were very high as well. NYC prices but not the quality one would expect at a property with these rates. Also the landscaping on property was shabby. Maybe it was due to that whole eco crap, but I don't like it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mtsod
Westchester,NY
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Having been to the Four Seasons many times, we still enjoy the many activities you can partake in if you choose (great golf, tennis, cooking lessons etc.), or just sit by the ocean or pool and enjoy a book or the sound of the waves. The resort now offers poolside cabanas for rent (very reasonable) at the adult pool which include your own waiter and stocked refrigerator. Do go down to the Marina and eat at the Dive Bar. Great food and very reasonable prices (try their pizza, fresh fish and the shrimp and rice dish). Great Happy Hour, $3 drinks. Another gem is the Prieta Beach Club. You can get a free ride there from the lobby (5 min.). The place is amazing with an infinity lap pool (my wife's favorite), sports bar and a great beach. Also, their restaurant is excellent for dinner. Do use the spa at the hotel. You will get the best message of your life. Most of all you will love the Costa Rican people. Warmer and friendlier people you will not find. Reasonable transportation can be had by contacting Mainor at Tours-Your-Way. He really knows Costa Rica and has always come through for us whether it was a tour or just hotel, airport transportation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Wunderlust2
Warwick, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We just returned from an 11 day stay at Four Seasons Costa Rica, and like another reviewer said, I actually cried on the way home. We are a family of five (myself, husband, and three daughters aged 18, 16, and 8). It is the best family vacation we have ever taken. We stayed through the "Festive Season" - Christmas and New Year's holidays. The resort is gorgeous and was beautifully decorated for the holidays. The Christmas party on the beach, held on Christmas morning, was so much fun! Santa arrived via waverunner and joined in a festive parade, featuring live band, acrobats, and a present for every child! There were fun family activities every single night during our trip.

The staff is impeccable. Literally, I don't think any request would be denied. After our first couple of days, the front desk actually called us to make sure everything was going well, and we were all having fun. Luis, activities director, seemed like an old friend by the end of our trip- his enthusiasm is infectious! Our 8 year old spent part of every day at the Kids For All Seasons club, and loved it!!! She would have spent all day, every day there, if it were uo to her! I can not say enough about the KFAS ladies- they are amazing with children, keeping them engaged in a variety of activities all day! Our daughter did crafts, cooking, swimming, golf, learned some Costa Rican culture- loved KFAS!!! Honestly, it made our vacation, knowing our youngest one was happy and well taken care of, while we had some adult time.

We never left the resort, and there was tons to keep our family happy! We started every morning eating breakfast on the lanai of our two bedroom villa, while watching the howler monkeys in the trees and the waves roll in! We did stand up paddleboarding, sea kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, The Trail of Giants tour, a cooking class, a dance class, boogie boarding, tennis, and more. The guys down by the surf shack are great- they actually are excited when you come down to them for equipment, and are full of good instruction/ tips. My husband's favorite activity was lounging poolside, and the pool & beach services are unparalleled. Fresh water, iced towels, your sunglasses cleaned- whatever you need, the staff is at your service.

Also, all of the food was terrfic! We ate at Congo's Bar & Grill for my daughter's 16th birthday, and they went out of there way to make it special. Papagayo's was consistantly delicious, as well as everything we ate poolside. I had groceries delivered twice to our villa, so I could cook, and that service went very smoothly. They brought me beautiful, fresh produce and goceries, and stocked my fridge for me. Housekeeping was quite a luxury! We had the same housekeeper our entire stay, and no amount of sand in the villa seemed too big a challenge for her! Our rooms were always sparkling, and she even arranged my daughter's 100 Webkinz on her bed every single day. If I happened to run into her, she always asked if there was anything more I needed.

I think the five of us would very happily make Four seasons Costa Rica our annual Christmas tradition! It truly was paradise! I can't say enough good things about this gorgeous resort and it's AMAZING staff!!! Pura Vida!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,115 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!