Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Rockville, Maryland
“Nice Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

We stayed in the Four Seasons (Suite 1521) last weekend for the 2nd time in a one and a half year. Due to the Hotel location and their gate control the check in is perfect and you are welcomed by name and the normal check in procedures are done fast.

The Bell Boy service is outstanding so is the telephone and Front Desk service and truly reflects High end 5 stars Guest Services and Standards.

Friendliness and Guest Service attitude of most employees has been very good except for the Breakfast service. My wife was asked if we are hotel guests in quite a negative way to say the least, to verify her answer was correct it took them almost 20 minutes, which in return did delayed our Breakfast service (40min) very much. Both the delay of the service and the attitude was way out of line.

The overall pricing of all Products and services are on the high end and well deserved I only consider the Breakfast price for 1 cup of café, juice and pan cake 22 USD plus over the top even for a Four Season Hotel.

The resort is partly being renovated or better face lifted at present; some services have been reduced due to the low occupancy such as Buffet Breakfast other Restaurant outlets did operate normally.

Our Guest Rom was perfectly made up, well maintained with all Amenities you may look for in a high end Resort.

The Spa is well managed, the Spa Services are good to perfect, the Spa is clean ad offers all Amenities for an Top of the line Spa, Reception desk courtesy was outstanding so was the Attitude of the Spa Therapists as well as Valets. The price value is fine however on the upper high end.

For as far as I concern the only down side up to this point in time are their 2 beach areas, the presentation is neither what it could or should be. This goes for the beach furniture as well as for cleanliness

Overall comparing my first and 2nd stay in Four Season, Employee attitude as well as Guest Services did for sure improve, maintenance problems still need to be addressed.

• Liked — The Spa, Bell Boy and Front Desk Service
  • Disliked — Breakfast Service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GlobetroterAmericas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
N'awlins
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

This resort exceeded all expectations for my wife and me on our 10th Wedding Anniversary!
From the smooth transition at the airport to the SUV, to an upgrade to a suite during the express check-in, this place had all the right moves.
I felt that the service was second to none and you could tell that the "Ticos" that work here are well trained and very proud of the beauty of this resort.
September is a slow time for the resort and we felt like we had it to ourselves. An example of this was on day two of our stay when we had a 10a.m. tee time to play on the magnificent Arnold Palmer designed course. The resort staff will whisk you to the club house via SUV (10 min trip) and just like magic there is a rep. of the golf course waiting to open your door and welcome you. To cut to the chase, we had the entire course to ourselves. No one else there except an iguana at the first tee box to say hello and the Four Seasons staff to offer you a cold lemon grass scented towel after every three holes or so. It took us 3 hours to play the first nine holes with all the photo ops and second shots for fun.
We were upgraded to a suite that had a wonderful view. You felt like you were in a tree house looking out at the birds and butterflies as they fluttered by the windows. But this was no tree house: wood floors, marble bath (long enough for my 6'5" frame to soak in) shower big enough for 4 and a great outdoor area to enjoy morning breakfast and another visit from an iguana.
I guess this is why they call it a LUXURY resort.
The food was very good. We had the privilege to eat at all 5 possible restaurants. I would say that we enjoyed the food at Di Mare and Caracole the best. The steaks were as tender as any I have ever had and the building itself was an architectural marvel. The wood beams bent into amazing arches along with accents of dim candles and Costa Rican music to help with the romance.
The grounds are well manicured and it seems like there are several hundred gardeners that you see each day tending to weeding, pruning and planting around the resort.
Make sure to enjoy the Spa. This was rated the best spa in the Central America and Mexico area for 2006. You will not be disappointed. Just be ready for when they tell you to use the cold and hot plunge pools. Let's put it this way, I now know how it would feel to fall off one of those Alaska King Crab boats into the winter cold water. WOW!
In closing this was truly one of the best vacation experiences we have ever had. Our dreams will be filled with the Sights, sounds, smells, touches and tastes of the Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LowKeycs
Laguna Beach, CA, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2007

From the moment you arrive you feel like you are entering Jurassic Park. This place is absolutely stunning. When you arrive at the front desk they are waiting with cocktails and call you by name. I have been to Costa Rica before on surfing trips and know the place quite well. This Four Seasons is the best resort in the country. However, you'll pay for it as it is very expensive.

The staff caters to your every need. Plenty of activities inside and out of the resort. The beaches (both bay and open ocean side) are beautiful. Not caribbean blue lagoons, but very calm and clear and great to swim, snorkel, sail and windsurf...all of which are complimentary.

Our room, a hillside suite with plunge pool and bay view was a "100" on a scale of one-to-ten. Amazing view and amenities. Again, at $1500/night very expensive but worth every penny.

If you surf, its within driving distance to Tamarindo, Ollie's Point and Withces Rock (by boat).

We split vacation between here and Arenal Volcano (Lost Iguana Resort) which is another 10/10.

Again if you want pure pleasure and fun all the while getting doted upon by the very friendly staff, then pick this place.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank The-Mystic-Bunnies
Detroit,Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2007

This would be our Sixth destination with the Four Seasons Resort Chain and we were not disappointed. After a 7 hours flight from Michigan, a air conditioned suburban met us at the airport with refreshments and cold towels to start the trip off on the right. No hassles with check in and loved our accomodations. Our room faced the ocean, yet had a view of beautiful trees and vegetation on the property. Every morning we enjoyed breakfast on our screened in patio(same funny hospitable waiter) while watching numerious humingbirds and butterflies. As some of the other reviews state... yes, the food is on the expensive side but is very good. Our favorite restaurant was the Italian restaurant. We especialy liked the evenings they offered fresh catch at the beach (usually red snapper) filleted on the spot, fixed later tableside. to your liking. This is just one of the nice touches they offer at this resort. If you are a golfer, My husband and I agree this course is fantastic. Breathtaking views from the tee boxes, difficult yet lots fun! It is worth every penny to play. Our favorite memory... viewing milky way at midnight on the beach, million of stars in the sky, hearing monkies in the distance and little hermit crabs at you feet. If you like nature and a romantic destination...this resort is for you!

Stayed May 2006
4 Thank BUCKEYEMI
Granada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2007

What was in all other ways a delightful trip turned sour when I the home I was staying in was burglarized while I slept.

I was a guest in the gorgeous Exclusive Resorts home in the Four Seasons Resort on far west end of the peninsula. It is important to note that this home is the furthest property on the entire resort and is inaccessable except directly through the resort. Early on the morning of the August the 5th, 2007, while I slept, the home was invaded by a burglar who stole my laptop computer, I-pod, and flash memory.

After over an hour and 3 phone calls, Four Seasons security personnel finally arrived to take a report and open an investigation which utimately yielded nothing.

I spoke to the manager of the Four Seasons and Exclusive Resorts personnel both of whom were very apologetic and were quite good at blaming one another for the problem. In all fairness, the manager of the Four Seasons advised me that this was an ongoing problem and that he had advised Exclusive Resorts that they should control entry to their units with a card key system. He stated to me that he had been recommending this since January of 2007 and that he had just finished writing and e-mail to Exclusive Resorts again advising them of another problem which occurred the same day. He told me that he "had no idea how many keys to the Exclusive Resorts homes might be floating around". On the other hand, Exclusive Resorts personnel told me that "nothing like this had ever happened before". Clearly, one of these stories is inaccurate.

In a nutshell, the manager of the Four Seasons told me they are considering dropping all services to Exclusive Resorts because Exclusive Resorts is ignoring their requests to add security devices to their units. Exclusive Resorts whined to me that they pay a huge sum to the Four Seasons to provide security. In the end, the problem was mine.

The most annoying thing about the entire epsisode is that the Exclusive Resorts people asked me to contact them as soon as I was able to determine whether or not my friends who left very early on the morning of the 5th had seen my things in the kitchen where I had left them when they departed. They had said that they would take the lead in following up with the Four Seasons. More than 24 hours after I communicated with Exclusive Resorts personnel that my friends had indeed seen my belongings in the kitchen before they left I was contacted by Four Seasons Security and asked if had learned when my things were last seen. I was shocked that the Exclusive Resorts people had not done what they said they would do.

The second most annoying thing about the episode that Exclusive Resorts personnel asked that I send receipts for the items that were taken. I went to the trouble to find them, scan them, and send them. In one case I had to go to Best Buy in order to get a duplicate receipt. I just recently learned when contacted, finally, by an Exclusive Resorts vice-president that they never had any intention of reimbursement. "It wasn't their policy." Evidently their policy is to get one to jump through hoops in order that one will believe that something will be done with the intention and hope that the victimized guest will "cool off" in the meantime.

Losing one's computer can be a very bad thing. Please think about the importance of you data before doing anything so foolish as dozing off to sleep in an Exclusive Resorts property within the Four Seasons, Peninsula Papagayo, Costa Rica.

You can have a wonderful time at the Four Seasons Resort in Pagayo! Do not make the mistake that because you are in a Four Seasons Resort that you will not be burglarized and if you are do not assume that anything will be done about it.

• Liked — It is beautiful
  • Disliked — The security is terrible
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
29 Thank kirkhankla
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

The Four Seasons Papagayo lives up to the standards of other Four Seasons Resorts we've been to. Absolutely pampering service, Three restaurants on site are very good and range from casual dining to upscale. Expensive as you might expect at a Four Seasons. If you're staying for more than a week, you'll need to look into offsite restaurants to keep the interest up. I recommend the Villa de los suenos, about a 1/2 hour ride which the hotel will arrange for you. If your a family traveling with children, this is the place to go: very good kids center that operates well into the evening. I guess the thing that makes this location unique is the wonderful off-site activities. I heartily recommend the zip-linging, with the closest place only 20 minutes away. There's also a great river cruise - crocodiles, monkeys, snakes - but all seen FROM THE BOAT!! The usual water sports stuff is available too - jet skis, hobi cats, snorkeling trips, etc. There's other environmental activities, some a couple of hours away though. The only slight negative is the beach, which being fed by rainforest runoff is not as sandy as a Caribbean beach, but the water is warm and clear.

• Liked — Quality of service, off-site activities, food, kids camp
  • Disliked — Somewhat remote
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Chaslosh
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We spent 7 wonderful nights and 8 wondrous days at the Four Seasons Resort in Costa Rica. The staff were gracious and attentive and never hestitated upon any of our requests. There were a number of daily activities on- and off-property that filled our days and nights. Make sure you do the cooking class; its very informative. Every meal was better than the last even the leisure salads and sandwiches at the pool cafe. Breakfast brought a new and exciting freshly squeeze juice each morning from freshly picked native fruits. The spa was tremendous. The staff was very meticulous about meeting our needs and provided for every convenience. Did I already say the staff was simply awesome. By the third day they were calling my husband and I by name. Lastly the golf course and tennis courts are pristine and their attendants are grade A as well. Be sure to take the "Tour of the Giants" which is a tour of the golf course, you're sure to encounter monkeys some where along the way.

My only "complaint" would be some features in the guest rooms. I fully expected high thread-count sheets, extra soft bath robes and flat screen TVs, it is the Four Seasons of course!

• Liked — The staff and the hotel activities.
  • Disliked — The absence of simple luxuries in the guest rooms, i.e. soft sheets, towels and robes and flat screen TVs.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,032 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!