1,861 results
All reviewsblack sandmobility issuescountrymonkeyswildlifeexcursionsvolcanotide
Reviewed February 4, 2010

I'll keep this short and sweet! My girlfriend and I won a trip to Costa Rica and this was the Hotel they chose for us. Before our trip I was reading reviews, some were Good and some were Bad. I figured this is typical, you can't usually please everybody. I also noticed it was 4 stars, so how bad could it possibly be. Here is the answer to that question.......ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE!!!! For me to feel so strongly about this when I paid absolutely nothing to stay here should say something. I'm just looking to prevent YOU from spending your hard earned money on a place that may possible be a 2 Star Resort on it's best day. Customer service is horrific! The food is awful! The onsite beach has black sand and the water always looks dirty. Not too mention, Sea Urchins are all over the place and there was a number of people getting stung by them. The rooms are filthy, there was dirty towels and hair all in the shower upon our arrival. The rooms also included Red Ants everywhere and Geckos. I said I was keeping this short. Bottom Line: This place is anything but Paradise, so do yourself a favor and look elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank purbrand
Reviewed February 4, 2010

I've read all the reviews pros and cons and most are some what correct. I thought I would just give a few tips before you go in no specific order.-Before you book check if you have a king bed if you want one...most online sites don't give you an option and you will end up with two doubles.-Climbing the hill to your room can be a chore(it is quite steep), but if you get a room near the bottom of the hill you will be near the noisy pool and booming music.-Always wear some kind of shoes in the water, I saw one lady with a large gash on her foot from a sharp shell.-Go to the "Beach Club"on the shuttle, it is a nice beach and it's quite. The hotel gives you lunch, drinks and the facilitys are newer.-If you want to give tips to the maid, leave it on your pillow.-Take small bills, US or Collones,hotel rarely has change.-It's hot

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Edmontontucker
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Okay people,I have never said anything on this before until now. I have been at this resort 22 times. yes 22 times. I love it and met a lot of friends at this resort. They always have new staff because they work so hard most days and don't get paid a lot so they leave. It's clean the food is great and the staff are amazing. The new managers are the one's that need to be more aware on what's going on. I been going 2 or 3 times a year and never got anything stolen from me until last visit. They do fire people and they don't mess around with that at all if you say something. I'm not mad because it does happen anywhere you go. It does cost a lot of money to leave the resort but rent a car or rent a Taxie. If you have 6 or more people it's cheap that way. I have a friend that could help you if you would like to get around. If you don't leave the resort you will not see the beauty of costa rica. yes, I keep this place as my home base but I have stayed every where in costa rica for a night and always come back. If you drive it's all safe and a lot of fun because you can stop anywhere. Just don't leave anything in the care because they will break into it. don't speed because the police will stop you. lol... It's a joke but they are looking for a buck. I have paid a ticket to the police officers right on the spot. I was speeding, very nice cop. lol..they tried with me again but I new how it all works after it happen the first time. I was only doing 75 in a 70 they stopped me. be nice and play stupid. it works.lol. easy and very safe. never had any trouble. If you would like to know more things what to do or where to go or would like to call a friend to save money please contact me. I can help you and it's nice to help a local guy and not give your money to the resort. he does work for the resort but drives taxie as well. all safe. anyways, you will love this place and the wild life is all over. They do have the most deadly snakes in costa rica only 22 of them. I seen them lol. don't worry it's all good. It's like any place you go. You tip well you will get amazing service but you don't need to because the service is a 5 star. I'm going back next month so maybe i will see you there. shawn. ask me anything s-m-johnson@hotmail.com .. Oh yea the disco is a joke but you can make the best of it. 10 years ago it was amazing. Go into town at night dancing you will love it. coco beach is fun but a very small town. shopping maybe 2 hours max. 80 dollars for a taxie into town. The beach is black sand and water is not blue. So if you are looking for a nice beach this is not the place. It's still very nice for myself. The pool is great! Have fun

Reviewed January 30, 2010

I would like to first start off about the bad reviews. If you read the bad reviews, and still decide to go to Allegro Papagayo, please do not go with a negative attitude, because you will also leave with one. When i read all of the bad reviews i know no one will make everyone happy, so i made the best out of my vacation, and it was AMAZING. The scenery is amazing, whitefaced monkeys on the beach half the day, sometimes the Howlers which were loud, but only expierenced them once. The black sand is awesome! Beware, its hot to walk on, and magnetic, so it will stick to your glasses or any other metal you have! Although it was pretty funny seeing people discover that it is magnetic. When dining at the buffet, there is great staff that is happy to help you... especially Oscar! The food gets repetitive, but i am not picky at all so i enjoyed it! I recommend people who want to relax go to this resort, because the entertainment isn't all that, but again, nothing i was really looking for. This is also the first resort i have been to where the pool was freshingly warm. I also recommend everyone goes on a tour, because Costa Rica is a beautiful country, and is a must see! I went ziplining, and a sunset tour... it was great! Probably the only real negative thing was people steal things from the beach in your bags if not attended. I have also heard people steal from rooms, so do keep a good eye on your stuff. Perhaps get a safe for only $2 a day. Unfortunatly, we got a couple valuable things stolen from the beach. I feel this could happen anywhere, but just take extra caution. The rooms were not all that, but nothing too big, was not picky about it! They were very clean when the maid came and cleaned, so kudos to her! This resort is great! And there is no reason one should not stay! Why i love Costa Rica so much is the people are really nice, and the country itself is so beautiful! It is not like Dominican Republic, or Cuba where you feel a bit uncomfortable from the devloping world. Costa Rica is devloped, and live a happy life! Pura Vida!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank imthecanadianeh
Reviewed January 29, 2010

-service was unbelievable , very friendly
-the room was clean when we arrived , the maid may have forgot different things , but whose there to stay in the room !!
- the resort is on the side of a hill , just like the brochure said, but the shuttle service is there to use if you want it
- more variety at the buffet and the a la carte restaurants, i didn't gain any weight and i didn't lose any weight!!! something must've been ok
-there were no bed bugs , there were small black flies that may have nipped you, but if you have ever been fishing in the north the experience is exactly the same.
- the people are very friendly and willing to help any time
-the view from our balcony was awesome, take a pair of binoculars so you can watch the whales in the bay
-monkeys and the birds are up early !!