“The employees were awesome, so helpful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Allegro Papagayo

and 1 more site!
Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
“The employees were awesome, so helpful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The employees were awsome, bartenders, activity people, and especially Carlos in the buffet area! He always remember what I liked and had it ready, definitely will be back for my birthday!!! I always travel alone and it sure didn't feel like it here. The food was amazing different everyday and night. The drinks were strong, and not watered down! Thanks to everyone who works there fir making me feel at home.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Chitownfabo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Polish first
Whitby, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

The food as average. Mostly seasoned with salt. But lots of selection. There is almost always one chicken, one beef, one pork and one seafood dish.
Above all the staff were excellent. The waiters and waitresses at the restaurant are very friendly and curteous (especially an older man names Jimmy). The entertainment staff ("fun club") are also very hard working, always coordinating activities such as archery and aquafit in during the day and shows every night.
Overall, happy with my stay.

3 Thank Mika X
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Feeding white face monkeys was amazing. This is an old hotel and showing its age but it was very clean. Food was good with many choices. Resort is built on a very steep hill and about 60 steps down and then UP again is mandatory to get to the pool or any food. Pool area was large and very nice. Staff very friendly but in one full week I saw only one bartender in the resort, not a single server/waiter at the pool or beach, and they have way too many people selling very expensive tours. Very secluded resort and far from anything. Loved Costa Rica and will defintely go back, but not sure I will stay here again because of the location. My daugher went surfing in Tamarindo Beach and it was a lot of fun, whitewater rafting was also amazing. We did a snorkel/sunset cruise on a sailboat and that was really relaxing plus we saw a whale and her baby both jumping out of the water to entertain us. The Blue River tour and Arenal volcano tour were a nice introduction to the Guanacaste countryside. We will definitely return to Costa Rica.

2 Thank jaxsgrandma
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed here with for 2 nights in August with my family of 4 (3 adults, 1 teen). We only stayed at this hotel as part of a set-up fly/drive travel package.The purpose of our trip was to experience Costa Rica and see the different regions. As such, we did not come to this place with high expectation of staying at a fancy, top of the line, all-inclusive resort. Overall, this place met our basic needs of being a place to spend the night after exploring the Guanacaste region.

Pros:
- The Beach: the black sand made it easy to find lots of shells and hermit crabs. (It should be known that this in a bay area, so you don't get an open view of the ocean).
- Free Activities: I appreciated the opportunity to borrow the hotel's kayaks and take the free boat ride to the white sand beach. The white sand beach had good snorkeling opportunities with a variety of fish if you went further out by the rocks.
- Animals: we saw lots of coatis, white faced monkeys, howler monkeys, crabs, iguanas, and even a tarantula on the property.
- Pool: the pool was very large, warm, and not too crowded.
- General location: it was less than a 30 minute drive to the other beach areas like Hermosa Beach and Coco Beach. We had our own car, so it was easy to get to everything. If you don't have your own car and want to leave the property, then this probably is going to be a problem for you. There is nothing within walking distance.
- Shuttle service: the property is set within a steep hill. Our room in building 7 was pretty far from the pool and the main lobby, so it was helpful to take the shuttle between areas. The shuttle came every 5-10 minutes so it was worth the wait.

Cons:
- Rooms. Our room had several spots of black mold growing on the walls and ceilings. It smelled musty. There was rust on any metal part and dirt all throughout the grout in the bathroom. There was a rip in the bathroom screen. The balcony door didn't fully close or lock. We didn't have a trash can in the room. Luckily, our fridge did work, and the AC somewhat worked at warmer temperatures.
- Service: One day we got back to the room and there was a random baby crib sitting next to the bed. It took a while for them to remove it. Then, the AC started leaking and they never fixed it. We had to keep the temp pretty warm to stop it from leaking. The bathroom toilet kept running. When I tried to take off the lid to jiggle the thing, I couldn't get the lid back on due to it's positioning under the counter. We tried to call for maintanence, but it was never fixed in the 3 days we stayed. Basically, I was scared to even use that bathroom out of fear that it would break. The front desk staff did let us use the safes for free, so that was good at least. After the first night, they only gave us 1 towel - total. Luckily, we had pool towels with us, so we just used those.
- Towel Service: you have to exchange a key card for use of a pool towel. This is fine, but the towel kiosk closes too early and opens too late.
- Food: I realize that most all-inclusive places don't have the best food, but this place is lacking even in comparison. Anna, the breakfast chef was good at making omelets. She should definitely receive some praise. But otherwise, the food was just okay at best. There wasn't a lot of variety. One night we ate in the Italian restaurant. My lasagna was fine, but another member of our party ordered some kind of mixed seafood dish. He actually had to spit out several pieces of his food because they were so overcooked that they turned into the consistency of tire rubber and were unable to be chewed. I would have rather eaten at the buffet. One day when we went to the white sand beach, they provided sandwhiches for us to eat there. And by sandwhich, I mean two pieces of white bread with a glob of ketchup and mayo, a half a slice of bologna, and some slimy piece of cheese. It was terrible and not even something I would feed a toddler.
- Drinks: first, it should be known that the ice and water were safe to drink. We were told that it is filtered or bottled, and none of us got sick, so that was good at least. The pink juice was also good. However, if you are looking for alcoholic drinks, you won't get much of that here. The house wine at dinner each night was terrible. I couldn't even finish my glass of the white. The bartenders take forever to take your drink order and once they do are very limited with what they pour. And, I'm assuming that they use some pretty low grade liquor with very small alcohol contents, because you could not taste or feel it at all.
- Noise: The late night music from the disco was not appreciated, but I guess that is to be expected at a place like this.
- The Beach: The water was very warm and calm. Just be careful. You can't do much swimming because the water is very shallow and covered in prickly sea urchins and puffer fish. Also, the sand flies and mosquitos were terrible. Make sure to bring lots of bug spray when you get down to the beach.

Room Tip: Think about where you want to be. If you want to be close to the pool/dinning/beach/recreation areas...
3 Thank Shyla M M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Although this resort was very ideal for our stay, we hired a car and explored Costa Rica and Nicaragua..The hotel itself was very nice, rooms were a bit small and basic..I found the food excellent and authentic as can be and was very appeasing for vegetarians. The staff were more than helpful, you paid for Wifi, but we di not bother, a beautiful resort to relax on, lots of activities on the beach also. On a whole the Costa Rican peole are the most beautiful caring people I have ever met..we ventured into rainforests, met lots of local people and even stayed a few nights with locals, we found lots of beaches which were empty and very beautiful. I would definetly go back again to this beautiful country, but perhaps not to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PURPLEBEES
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We really enjoyed this resort. We had great excursions, really enjoyed ATV'ing through the country side and zip-lining. Such a beautiful country. The hotel is very hilly so be warned , but there is shuttle service if you don't want to take the walk. Feeding wild monkey and parrots by the beach is exhilarating! Love this place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChloeMortimer86
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Drinks were terrible. Liquor was the absolute bottom of the scale and they would pour only a little bit of liquor. I'm not a big drinker but I expected to have decent drinks while on vacation and didn't. The hotel charged me $2 a day to use the in room safe, unreal and also charged me to use the Internet WOW! The food was good and plentyful. If your looking to spend time on a real beach there is not a real beach there. It looks more like a dirty swamp. Instead of sand it's this black muck that makes your feet filthy black. The beach is more of a lagoon. Overall, I did love the location of the resort.

• Stayed March 2013