“new Year in Allegro”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Strathroy, Canada
“new Year in Allegro”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

i was in Allegro Papagayo for 2 weeks in January 2013 (arrived New Year's Eve to the most spectacular fireworks ever ). I know there were negative reviews but I had a wonderful 2 weeks. The resort is showing its age but so are a lot of people who travel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the food in the buffet restaurant was good and with lots of variety. The bar offerings were varied and plentiful. Entertainment was OK and there were lots of activities in the daytime. Lots of animal life around which was fun. Tourists completely ignore the "Do not feed the animals" signs
The trip to the White beach club was fun if a bit wet getting in and out of the boat..
The day trip to Nicaragua was very interesting and well worth the price.
I am not a picky traveler so am happy with a lot of things that other people are upset over. I just like being looked after ans well fed. All this I got at the Allegro and for the price was very happy with my stay there. It is amazing how well you are looked after by staff if you are friendly to them and don't expect more than you paid for. I would go back.

Room Tip: Most rooms offer a chance to exercise which is a good thing as there is lots of food available.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank J Alex H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Polish first
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

The room was ok, nothing special. Old sheets and towels, very very old!!!! The room was clean but look dated!!! I agree with the other reviews I read, why putting a coffee maker and nothing else, I mean NO COFFEE!!!??? The food in the buffet area was ok, nothing out of the ordinary, but at least was fine, the breakfast was the best food of the day.... Drinks were ok, but the huge line of 18 year old's from Canada (250 teens) asking for drinks and beer was not fun at all, specially at night when you can easily see how much they have been drinking all day.... That takes me to my major complain: how come the hotels expects that family vacation goes well with "spring break all you can drink nightmare"!!!??? I went to the front desk and ask for the change to their sister hotel, which they told me they can do for an extra$150 per guest, per night, are they insane!!!! Their big help was to be understanding and assure us they were also suffering from the teen drunk and wild nightmare. They made reservations for us at the italian restaurant La Tratoria that is the fine one, OMG, the food was tasteless, horrible, I even return my risotto cause tasted like soft rice with oil and milk (I have never tasted something so bad). And the desserts were soooooo bad that not even the kids ate them. Well for me being a costarrican is really a shame that tourists that visit this hotel think that they have being in Costa Rica.... No no no, please look for another place with at least better food and better take care facilities!!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Pillyhg
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Pillyhg,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback, our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority and your comments help us to enhance our services.

I apologize for any inconvenience you might have encountered during your stay with us. I can assure you that one of the main goals of our respective teams in all departments is to work on a daily basis to constantly improve our services and guest satisfaction.

We regret the behavior of the spring breakers. We spoke several times with the group leaders and will take action to avoid this kind of behavior in the future.

We always try to provide the best service to our guests, thus your comments are taken in earnest. Our executive chef has been made aware of your dissatisfaction and is currently looking into ways to amplify our food selection. Rest assured that we strive to provide the best of quality and service to all of our guests.

Regarding our accommodations, I would like to inform you that our rooms are undergoing renovations in order to enhance our guest experience. We hope that despite this you will offer us the chance of welcome you back and enjoy our recent renewals.

Travelers are raving about these Gulf of Papagayo hotels

Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Rooms are old fashioned out of date. Broke AC, no Microwave, no fridge, no iron or ironing board.The beach is more mud than sand its awful....All inclusive = cheap liquor with no option to buy top shelf. One person doing all the shuttle runs up and down the resort which means anything you need from the front desk will take 20-30 minutes, even though they say they'll be there in 5. Not enough activities for adults night life wise...Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy..First time in Liberia and couldn't have gone to a worst place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Roberto A,

We are sincerely sorry to read that your recent experience at our resort did not reach your expectations, our respective teams strive to offer unforgettable vacations to each of our guests and it is disappointing to read that we failed with you. I assure you that we have taken note of each of the points you raised, in order to deploy action plans and improve our services.

Additionally, I would like to inform you that we are currently renovating our rooms and restaurants creating a more attractive and relaxing vacation experience for our guests.

Humble, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Recent stayed here for July 4th weekend. Online on the Hotels website they claim to be a 4 star Hotel when in all actuality this is a 1 to 2 star resort. Well first thing was after we arrived to the property after a 4hr cab ride the lobby area was dark kind of intimate which i thought was a good thing but No it was deception the young lady that helped us check in was very abruptly rude and a tad bit aggressive. My partner and I asked for a nice room with a great view she put us in room 130. So excited we get into the complimentary shuttles the hotel offers because the resort is built into the mountain which was my favorite part of the hotel. So we get into the room OMG the funk hit my nose as I walked through the door! The room smelt as if it had been closed off for years. As we walked in to put our luggage down i was fairly disappointed because i totally expected something totally different. The sheets on the bed were ratty and old, pillowcases nasty dingy looking. The lamp shades were broken. The bathroom was DISGUSTING toilet nasty and the shower looked like it hadn't been cleaned EVER! So i said lets call and let them know we want back to lobby and the young ladytold us all of the rooms look the same and that they were at capacity. So we went back to the room to unwind after a full day of travel. My partner went to cut on the air, the room started to fill with hot hot air and bang because Im thinking a blade was broken. We then called the front desk and told the same young lady what was going on she said that she was going to send maintenance. So out of frustrations i went to sleep. Three hours later after waking up sweating We called back to the front desk and finally got someone different and they sent maintenance within a few minutes. Finally he comes and went outside and does something and it comes on, Not cold but cooler than it was. T decided to shower OMG she cut on the shower on there was standing water so she had to take the chair off the balcony and put in the shower stand on top of it to shower! I was terrified but it worked. So that's on the first few hours there. The next morning we asked to speak to the manager to let him hear the recording of the loud air condition and see the pics of this nasty room. He agreed to move us to the quote best room there at 3 pm. Its 10 in the am. So we went ate breakfast and wasted time. The food was AWFUL... Not much to say about it. So we went down to beach to see primates in the trees and was approached by a hotel representative or what we thought was. He offered us a boat ride to the sister hotel and told us wecold upgrade to that hotel if we like. I was all game because to top it off there were bus loads of kids from Canada who had just arrived here for there senior trip. I was pissed. So we go over the other hotel and law and behold its a freaking timeshare. So we were told if we didn't buy we could not upgrade. Angry we go back to this dump were trapped in for the rest of our trip. Kids drunk everywhere management doesn't care.... Nightmare please book this hotel with caution. I read other reviews i should have done that first could saved myself a headache. I also found it funny that the PR person responded to other reviews with the same tired excuse of that dump of a resort. I've stayed at other Occidental Resorts but i must say thus was the nastiest property I've ever seen in my life.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Nicole L
Dear Nicole L,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review, we are sincerely sorry to hear about your disappointing experience in our resort. Our management has been made aware of the shortcoming you encountered in your room and restaurants and measures will be taken to improve our guests’ experience.

Please accept our sincere apologies, I assure you that we take guests feedback very seriously and we work on them to offer a better service.

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This resort is dirty and run-down and needs serious updating. The rooms were dirty, the bathrooms were worse and our toilet didnt work at all. We asked for it to be fixed and they would say someone was on the way. They never came the entire time we were there. The food at the buffet was good but they served the same thing everyday! How many times can you eat the same meal?? The worst thing about the trip was catching the cleaning staff going through my luggage!!! Came back from breakfast to find the person going through my bag!!! I told them to get out and reported it to management. If you cant trust the staff then what? No wonder they are so friendly. Tried to use the safe in my room but it wouldnt work! How convenient. I would love to go back to Costa Rica but I will never stay at this resort again. I have stayed at a 4 star resort and this was nowhere close to that standard.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cori R
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Cori R,

We want to take a moment to say thank you for your review. We are deeply sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations this time in Occidental Hotels & Resorts.

We are regret for the dissatisfaction you encountered in your room, Maintenance Management are aware and they are currently working in their procedures to guarantee that each bathroom functions properly.

Please know that our Housekeeping team normally works very hard to clean and inspect all rooms. This is an integral service to our resort and guests, and we reviewed your remarks with our manager to certify proper procedure is followed. Everyday all our staff passes a strict security control before and after they finish their turn. So we can assure you that they cannot take something out from property. We don’t have any report about your situation.

We also apologize for the shortcomings you encountered while visiting our property. I have followed up with our Director of Food & Beverages to address your comments regarding the quality and variety of the food.

Bronx, New York
Reviewed July 10, 2013

First of all let me say that I felt like I was being treated like a Movie Star.
The Dace crew Karen,Candy,Laura,Arturo,Mauico, and Luisvinn are AMAZING!!!
This crew of six do it All! Day and Night they work thier butt off to makes sure that the clients are happy and active through out the day. The Hotel iotself was Beautiful and the view breath taking. I had so much fun I even lost 8lbs the 7 days I was there, it was non stop parting. I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Muskego, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wanting a Costa Rican trip on a budget, we choose this resort upon the recommendation of a travel agent. We spent some time reading the reviews and, in all honesty, we were a bit wary given some of the feedback. We were pleasantly surprised, however, and had a lovely vacation.

We stayed in building 7 on the third floor. The room we stayed in was simple and adequate. While small, we did not come to Costa Rica to spend our vacation in a hotel room so it was completely sufficient. If I were to offer constructive feedback, I would suggest having coffee available for the coffee maker (although DELICIOUS coffee was available in the restaurant).

The pool area was great! Clean, warm, well-maintained and plenty of places to sit and relax. There is a quiet area if that is your preference. A volleyball net is set up in the pool area, but once again if I were to offer constructive feedback I would suggest having volleyballs more readily available... not a big deal at all, however.

The food was really good. We enjoyed the variety of the buffet so we never checked out the other restaurants. There was always fresh salad and fruit. The pineapple was delicious! We were never at a loss for something to eat and always left extremely satisfied. The grilled tuna was amazing. I really enjoyed trying some of the traditional dishes/desserts.

This property is indeed on a steep hill. This added to the resorts appeal and beauty. While we did not often use the transportation provided, it was available. The drivers frequently stopped to ask if we needed a ride when they would see us walking.

The beach was awesome. The view was gorgeous, the water was warm and the wildlife was abundant. We saw monkeys, stingrays, crabs, raccoon-like animals, puffer fish, etc. Kayaks and snorkeling equipment were available. While it was fun to play around with the fins and snorkel off the black sand beach, the snorkeling trip we went on was much more conducive in terms of seeing creatures. This was one of the trips we took through CAT (Central American Tours) and it was fabulous ... well worth the $85 per person.

There were organized activities in which one could participate. These included: water aerobics, beach volleyball, music trivia, dance lessons, pool volleyball, karaoke, etc. We did not participate heavily in these activities, but they were available if one was interested.

We enjoyed playing pool and ping pong.

The drinks were ... interesting. They did not seem to be made in a standard fashion so sometimes a drink would be delicious followed by the same type of drink that was not so good (although never offensive). But the beauty of the all-inclusive is that you can just move on to a new drink! The saltamontes (spelling?) was consistently good.

The staff was truly amazing. Everyone was so friendly and helpful! Everyone worked so hard to make sure that we were having a good time. The staff was kind, energetic, positive and sociable. I hope they are being well paid for the passion they are putting into their work as they truly deserve it.

It was easy to sign up for off resort excursions. There are three companies that the resort endorses (on site) that offer a variety of options. Cars are available to rent as well. We very much enjoyed our Arenal Rainforest excursion.

It seems that the reviews that are written are read and considered. Having read many reviews prior to our stay, I was familiar with some of the concerns mentioned. It seemed that solutions were put in place to address some of the issues identified.

Given the natural beauty of the area and the hospitality of the staff, we truly enjoyed our time in Costa Rica. (And we lucked out with beautiful weather even though we traveled during the rainy season!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family