“Great Vacation - Mar 04 to Mar 11, 2013”
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Port Hope, Canada
“Great Vacation - Mar 04 to Mar 11, 2013”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Had one of the best vacations ever. We read the reviews, some good some bad. One person recommended building 10 room 1020 and above. We asked for this and got room 1020 what a view. Air conditioning worked almost tooo cold but that was okay temp was 42 celcius outside. Rooms a little dated but who cares we only slept there. Food was great. Had a great waiter Carlos very friendly and made our visit very comfortable. Smaller resort got to know a lot of people which we never did before. No line ups at bar, Johnny was a good bartender very friendly. Pablos was our guide on two excursions very informative. There is no fitness center but all you have to do is walk the hills. Lots of water stations and rest spots. Van shuttle works really hard moving luggage and shuttling everyone around William was our main shuttle driver.

Port Hope, On

Room Tip: Get room 1020 if you can, overlooks pool, ocean view. Might be a little noisey, but was too tired t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank donamp7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This property is fairly run down and is dire need of being updated. We will not recommend a holiday here nor do we want to review the facilities. We completely agree with what Robin C has said about this location.
Our praise is for some of the staff members who helped to save our holiday. Commendations go out to two people:- The first one is Pablo Saborio at the reception desk who was always patient in every way and got solutions to our issues each time we approached him and believe me, there were a lot!! He delivered each time and never needed to be reminded.
The other member of staff to be commended is Osvaldo at the doctor's office who was very caring and kind when my husband was ill for the whole vacation.
Wait staff never approached us, you always had to find them and then wait for them to deliver. Very annoying.

Room Tip: Pay the extras for a room in building number 10 or at the pool level. This way you save the long wa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Toronto Msk,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at Allegro Papagayo. Your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.
Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for not fully meet your expectations. I’m glad to read that Pablo and Osvaldo were able to provide the service for which we are known. Our team strives to keep our resort in in the best conditions and usually our guests enjoy the grounds and landscapes that can be seen in our hotel. Please rest assured, I have shared your experience with our maintenance, and restaurant managers, and we have taken the appropriate measures to prevent these situations from happening again.
We hope that you will present us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Gulf of Papagayo hotels

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 18, 2013

After spending time in other parts of Costa Rica, this resort and nearby surroundings are not what one expects when thinking of Costa Rica. The area was very dry. Wildfires could be seen at night, and during the day the air smelled of smoke. The entire property is in need of a renovations. The one pool on the property was dirty. The quality of food at the buffet and restaurants were poor. The resort claimed to have two a la carte restaurants, but in reality, only one restaurant was open each night. When staying at other all inclusive resorts we received full service even at the buffet restaurants. Only ONCE did we receive beverage service from the wait staff. It had a cafeteria feeling to it. The entire resort was built into the side of a cliff. From trip advisor we knew this before we went but it was very inconvenient that the lobby was so far away from everything else. Especially because restaurant reservations could only be made at the lobby. In addition to all of this, other guests included 80 high school aged spring breakers who really took advantage of the open bar. The best part of our stay at Allegro Papagayo was when we rented a car and drove to Tamarindo over an hour away.

We still enjoyed our vacation, but certainly will not be staying at Allegro Papagayo again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robin C
Dear Robin C,
Thank you for sending us your comments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation in spite of the drawbacks you encountered during your visit.
I am very sorry to hear about your overall impression of Allegro Papagayo resort, our staff works diligently to keep areas in top condition and is constantly verifying the cleanness of the hotel but it seems that this was not the occasion and I apologize for this. I have shared your comments with the maintenance team in order to reinforce our cleaning standards.
I’m sorry to read your comments about the food since our chef is always making improvements to the menus at the buffet and a la carte restaurants, I will share your feedback about the cuisine with the team and I assure you that we will look into ways to enhance our quality. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of service you experienced at the restaurants. Our team is focused on providing the best service to our guests and it saddens me to know that we failed you. I have addressed the situation with our food and beverage manager in order to ensure our team is providing a faster and more effective service to our guests.
Once more thank you for sharing your experience and we hope that you will give us a second opportunity to welcome you
Karise, Denmark
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We- a Danish senior couple plus an American/Costa Rican couple - stayed here for 3 days late October 2012.
The place was OK. A little worn out and some issues with the airconditioning were tried to be fixed. The pool was not all that clean, but acceptable.
We did not like the beach too much as the dark sand gave the beach a dirty look.
For an all-inclusive place the food was good. Have definitely experienced worse elsewhere.
The staff did what they could to make everybody feel good, and thanks a lot for that.
One night there was a band which was very good, some very talented young people were performing and dancing. For the children at first and later for everybody. Great skills they had and good entertainment.Nice dancing to the music for the guests as well.
A mixed experience, but if you are lokking for something more fancy, you should go elsewhere. The place met our needs for a bed, which was fine, a shower that worked and food that was good and sunshine. I would recommend this place if you can live with the 3 star experience.

Room Tip: if you have a walking issue/staircase, ask for a room as close to the pool and on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank carlimut
Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Being an all inclusive hotel, the options of food were limited, the give us the room too late and the priority for them was only the foreing tourists, not national. I think my money has the same value. Rooms very poors. I won't be there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Grettel P
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Grettel P,

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. We truly regret to learn that we have been unable to meet your expectations, as this is certainly not typical of the level of service we provide at the Allegro Papagayo. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, I have reviewed your comments and can assure you that I take them very seriously.

I hope you will offer us a chance to gain back your confidence in our product.

Whitehorse
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent 3 wonderful weeks in Costa Rica in February, once again at the Allegro.
The staff at the Allegro are service specialists. From our arrival to departure we were treated like royalty.
The rooms are simple but well maintained by very hardworking housekeeping staff. Our Housekeeper Noily Leal was more like a Homekeeper to us. She has assisted both my husband and I with our Spanish during our last 2 visists to the Allegro. My husband practised his written Spanish by writing her a simple note about our plans for the day.She always responded with simple warm greetings. I can even read simple spanish now.

The food is amazing. Something I seldom taste at home in Whitehorse. It is fresh! The chicken tastes like chicken!....not like the mass produced chicken we buy at home.
Every morning an amazing array of really fresh local fruits! Breakfast offered many options.I loved the plantain and beans and rice.

Lunch was also excellent. The soups are fabulous! Fresh Salad Bar at lunch and many hot entrees available each day. Like in a dream there was ice cream everyday! Fresh pastries all hard to resist.

Al carte meals were something special. Food and extra service makes me like I was enjoying a special treat.

Dining staff are all warm and friendly. Maria, Jimmy, Carlos, Pablo, Oscar, Paz,, Zindi to mention only a few of the friendly staff.

Bar service was always good. Evelio and Jonathan and crew provided good service and conversation. Our parting photo from the Allegro is our good friend waving goodbye from the Mirador Bar!

The animatators really help to create an atmosphere of fun at the resort. They start early in the morning and keep the entertainment going until the show ends each night.
They help guests get to know each other with games by the pool and nightly entertainment.
They all seem to have amazing skills. They make sure not matter what happens in their world the show goes on for us! Thanks to Stanley, Mario, Karen . Kimi , Eddy. Arturo, Manuel for all the laughs, the spanish lessons the pool gym, the chance to be a entertainer myself!

Access to tours was excellent. Nolitours rep Marie Claude assisted us in booking tours through Jacamar tours. This is our third year with this tour compnay. Guides from this tour group are excellent. David took us on an amzing day trip to Nicaragua.

Taxi service from resort easily accessilbe through front desk. Shared fare into Liberia among 3 couples 20 dollars each. Thanks Luis Torres.

Front desk staff were very professional. Alberto and all adminstrative staff very attentive.

Nice treat to have a massage at the Spa. Maribel and her staff are like the icing on the cake. Just when you thought things were perfect.

I have had 3 great trips to the Allegro. I have heard other complain and compare this resort unfavorably against others. I am not sure that I understand their complaints.

I will say however that a smile and attitude of gratitude are quickly recognized and returned by all the staff at the Allegro.

We have made friends at the Allegro both staff and other travellers. Some of us plan to meet same time next year at the Allegro. If you are a very lucky person maybe we will see you there.

Room Tip: All rooms have nice views. Superior Ocean view rooms are exactly that!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CHRISPETERWhitehorse
Port Colborne, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I just returned from the Allegro Papagayo and must stay that Costa Rica is a beautiful country!!! We enjoyed a week in March 2013, the weather was excellent between 95-100 degrees everyday!!! Prior to booking I read many reviews on trip advisor many of which were negative. It is definitely not a 5 star hotel, but it does not claim to be.
the hotel sits on the side of a mountain, so there is a shuttle available for the units that are situated higher on the hills. This resort is not for people that have difficulty climbing stairs.The rooms were dated, food was repetitive, staff was awesome, beach was a little disappointing(not because it was black, but because it was small). The best thing about the resort is the monkeys that come to the beach. There are Capuchin's and Howler's that usually visit everyday. The resort also offers a free boat ride to their beach club; if you want to enjoy a white beach and a quite day this is a great way to do it. They also provide beverages our and lunch while you are there. This was out first time visiting Costa Rica and I would return in a heart beat just not to this particular hotel.

Room Tip: If I were to return to this hotel I would make sure that I was in unit 15 which is right by the pool...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple