New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Karise, Denmark
“Acceptable place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We- a Danish senior couple plus an American/Costa Rican couple - stayed here for 3 days late October 2012.
The place was OK. A little worn out and some issues with the airconditioning were tried to be fixed. The pool was not all that clean, but acceptable.
We did not like the beach too much as the dark sand gave the beach a dirty look.
For an all-inclusive place the food was good. Have definitely experienced worse elsewhere.
The staff did what they could to make everybody feel good, and thanks a lot for that.
One night there was a band which was very good, some very talented young people were performing and dancing. For the children at first and later for everybody. Great skills they had and good entertainment.Nice dancing to the music for the guests as well.
A mixed experience, but if you are lokking for something more fancy, you should go elsewhere. The place met our needs for a bed, which was fine, a shower that worked and food that was good and sunshine. I would recommend this place if you can live with the 3 star experience.

Room Tip: if you have a walking issue/staircase, ask for a room as close to the pool and on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank carlimut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Polish first
Heredia, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Being an all inclusive hotel, the options of food were limited, the give us the room too late and the priority for them was only the foreing tourists, not national. I think my money has the same value. Rooms very poors. I won't be there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Grettel P
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Grettel P,

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. We truly regret to learn that we have been unable to meet your expectations, as this is certainly not typical of the level of service we provide at the Allegro Papagayo. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, I have reviewed your comments and can assure you that I take them very seriously.

I hope you will offer us a chance to gain back your confidence in our product.

Travelers are raving about these Gulf of Papagayo hotels

Whitehorse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent 3 wonderful weeks in Costa Rica in February, once again at the Allegro.
The staff at the Allegro are service specialists. From our arrival to departure we were treated like royalty.
The rooms are simple but well maintained by very hardworking housekeeping staff. Our Housekeeper Noily Leal was more like a Homekeeper to us. She has assisted both my husband and I with our Spanish during our last 2 visists to the Allegro. My husband practised his written Spanish by writing her a simple note about our plans for the day.She always responded with simple warm greetings. I can even read simple spanish now.

The food is amazing. Something I seldom taste at home in Whitehorse. It is fresh! The chicken tastes like chicken!....not like the mass produced chicken we buy at home.
Every morning an amazing array of really fresh local fruits! Breakfast offered many options.I loved the plantain and beans and rice.

Lunch was also excellent. The soups are fabulous! Fresh Salad Bar at lunch and many hot entrees available each day. Like in a dream there was ice cream everyday! Fresh pastries all hard to resist.

Al carte meals were something special. Food and extra service makes me like I was enjoying a special treat.

Dining staff are all warm and friendly. Maria, Jimmy, Carlos, Pablo, Oscar, Paz,, Zindi to mention only a few of the friendly staff.

Bar service was always good. Evelio and Jonathan and crew provided good service and conversation. Our parting photo from the Allegro is our good friend waving goodbye from the Mirador Bar!

The animatators really help to create an atmosphere of fun at the resort. They start early in the morning and keep the entertainment going until the show ends each night.
They help guests get to know each other with games by the pool and nightly entertainment.
They all seem to have amazing skills. They make sure not matter what happens in their world the show goes on for us! Thanks to Stanley, Mario, Karen . Kimi , Eddy. Arturo, Manuel for all the laughs, the spanish lessons the pool gym, the chance to be a entertainer myself!

Access to tours was excellent. Nolitours rep Marie Claude assisted us in booking tours through Jacamar tours. This is our third year with this tour compnay. Guides from this tour group are excellent. David took us on an amzing day trip to Nicaragua.

Taxi service from resort easily accessilbe through front desk. Shared fare into Liberia among 3 couples 20 dollars each. Thanks Luis Torres.

Front desk staff were very professional. Alberto and all adminstrative staff very attentive.

Nice treat to have a massage at the Spa. Maribel and her staff are like the icing on the cake. Just when you thought things were perfect.

I have had 3 great trips to the Allegro. I have heard other complain and compare this resort unfavorably against others. I am not sure that I understand their complaints.

I will say however that a smile and attitude of gratitude are quickly recognized and returned by all the staff at the Allegro.

We have made friends at the Allegro both staff and other travellers. Some of us plan to meet same time next year at the Allegro. If you are a very lucky person maybe we will see you there.

Room Tip: All rooms have nice views. Superior Ocean view rooms are exactly that!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CHRISPETERWhitehorse
Port Colborne, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I just returned from the Allegro Papagayo and must stay that Costa Rica is a beautiful country!!! We enjoyed a week in March 2013, the weather was excellent between 95-100 degrees everyday!!! Prior to booking I read many reviews on trip advisor many of which were negative. It is definitely not a 5 star hotel, but it does not claim to be.
the hotel sits on the side of a mountain, so there is a shuttle available for the units that are situated higher on the hills. This resort is not for people that have difficulty climbing stairs.The rooms were dated, food was repetitive, staff was awesome, beach was a little disappointing(not because it was black, but because it was small). The best thing about the resort is the monkeys that come to the beach. There are Capuchin's and Howler's that usually visit everyday. The resort also offers a free boat ride to their beach club; if you want to enjoy a white beach and a quite day this is a great way to do it. They also provide beverages our and lunch while you are there. This was out first time visiting Costa Rica and I would return in a heart beat just not to this particular hotel.

Room Tip: If I were to return to this hotel I would make sure that I was in unit 15 which is right by the pool...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went to Costa Rica for the first time for my wifes birthday October of 2012. Sorry so long for the review but you don't think of it until you're ready for the next one. It rained daily and that didn't detour us one bit. The resort is beautiful, the way the rooms climb the hill every room has a view of the bay. The beach is not actually on the open ocean put in teh Papagayo Bay. This make the water so calm, great for wading and relaxing. There is a small river that feeds the bay and it swells with the rain. It was fun to walk across and feel the sand pull from under your feet. The food was good and the staff were very helpfull during the week. On the weekend day passer come from all over and overwelm the resort. You get used to it and it was only an issue a couple days of out trip. We saw the country and the resort was a good home base. The Ricon volcano park is within driving distance and it was great even in the rain. We walked the 3 KM trail in the rain and saw vents boiling mud post, boiling water vents, and a beautiful waterfall. Don't miss the Rio Negro hot springs on the way out. $10 entry and it was amazing. We went to the Llanos del Cortez waterfall for half day trip. Again rain but how beautiful and the rain and water was warm. The one sunny day i lucked out in Tamarindo the surf was up and the sky was clear. I was able to do a lesson and acutally surf in Costa Rica, awesome. The area around this hotel is great and easy to navigate. The hotel itself is beautiful from the nice rooms to the buffet. The black sand beach was great, the sand is like powder and completly differant than what we are used to. We loved it and hope to go back when the weather is nicer.

Room Tip: All are good if you have problems walking one closer the the beach would be best.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joesombody
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I wanted to visit Costa Rica but had no expectations as we had never been. We are not people who need everything to be over the top and decked out to the nines (if this was the case we would just stay home), but we did want to have all our needs met, have all the amenities and have an enjoyable place to stay. Needless to say, we were impressed with this resort for a number of reasons. The staff were very friendly, polite and professional, the food was excellent (although it lacked variety on a day to day basis), the resort grounds were older but always clean and well kept, and had tons of wildlife roaming around. The rooms were clean and had everything you'd need, although each villa is built up the side of a hill as Costa Rica is very hilly, so if you want something closer to the water and with less walking, you should ask for it for sure. I can honestly say there was not one thing that I would have a real complaint about, and I would absolutely stay here again in the future. A huge shout out to Warner who was the driver of the trolley that took the guests to various places around the resort, what a nice, hardworking guy!

Room Tip: Rooms with higher numbers i.e. Building 17 vs. Building 1 are closer to the water, and I'd recom...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joanna M
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I'm 25 and traveled with a friend who is in her late 30's and we both had an amazing experience. If you're crusty or super picky, this isn't the place for you:P. That being said, I have traveled and stayed at many hotels - most of them being 5+ stars, this was by far my favorite place to stay. It has character and the scenery is beautiful. The staff was amazing and very engaging. The waiters and bar staff were very attentive and bent over backwards to please us. Xavier, Eddy, Kim, Stanley, Zindie, Oscar and all of the other amazing staff members were just great!

There are monkeys, caotis, iguanas and birds right on the beach/resort, we got to feed the white faced monkeys which hung out on the trees at the beach which was awesome! The beach has black volcanic sand and was very pretty, the water was a little murky at times but still very nice.

The people selling souvenirs on the beach were very nice and friendly also. I was looking to go surfing and they were kind enough to tell me of a local surfing instructor who picked me and a couple of other people up from the resort and took us all the way to Tamarindo Beach (which was an hour and a half away), and only charged $80 per person for 2 hours of surfing lessons (including rental of the gear) as well as the ride there and back! Totally safe and reliable ! I have added a photo of the business card for the surfing/surf paddling instructor. Much cheaper and better experience than booking through the hotel/rep.

If you are older or in poor health I would request the rooms closer to the pool/restaurant area as the hotel is built on a hill and walking up to the room seemed like a workout, which I guess was a good thing since the food was amazing and over indulging was easy to do. Lots of choices and everything was fresh. Lots of salads, rice and beans (of course), choice of meat, chicken, fish and fresh fruit. The pineapple was to die for -nature's candy!!! I should add that shuttle service was available for those who stayed in the rooms which were located further away.

The resort isn't very big; there is only one main pool, restaurant, snack bar and disco, which in my opinion is great because it gives you a nice and intimate atmosphere which is great for meeting new people. Again, if you are crusty and don't like people, this isn't the place for you haha. Everyone vacationing there was wonderful! We met tons of amazing people from all over.

Now what I didn't enjoy was that there were high school kids there from New Brunswick on their "grad"trip. They were barely 18 and were chaperoned by people about a month older than them. The legal drinking age in Costa Rica is 18....a bunch of 18 year olds drunk and crazy every night was not a treat to witness. They were rowdy and obnoxious. Now again not all of them behaved this way but for the most part it was a little annoying. Again, this wasn't too much of a problem as there were enough activities and things to do to keep away from the high school kids. The only other issue we encountered was with the a/c which was not working. All it took was one phone call to the lobby and they had someone there within minutes to come fix it for us so no biggie. The rooms are a lil beat up but who honestly spends any time in their room when there are so many things to do.

We didn't spend too much time at the resort during the day time as we had excursions planned for almost everyday of the week but when we did, there was always volleyball, pilates on the beach, water polo, dance lessons, cooking lessons and a bunch of other stuff to keep you occupied. If you just wanted to lounge by the beach/pool area the staff would not nag you into participating - they were very respective.

If you are looking to book excursions through the hotel/rep I highly recommend the Adventure Combo which included zip lining, horseback riding, hiking, mud baths and natural hot springs and also a day tour to Nicaragua where you get to visit the oldest City in Central America (Granada) as well as an active volcano (Momotombo)! The guides are very informative and fun.

Overall amazing experience especially for the price. I'm already planning to come back and stay at this resort in a few months :).

Room Tip: if you are elderly, have health issues, or problems walking choose the rooms closer to the pool/rest...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
#1 of 2 in Playa Panama
4.0 of 5 stars 470 reviews
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
El Mangroove, Autograph Collecti...
#4 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 stars 518 reviews
Occidental Grand Papagayo by Barcelo
Occidental Grand Papagayo by Bar...
#7 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.0 of 5 stars 2,676 reviews
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 stars 1,779 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!