Allegro Papagayo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
$529
$423
Bookit.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
$313
$244
$435
Occidental Papagayo - Adults only(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
$194
$172
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
$212
  • Breakfast included
1,859 results
All reviewsblack sandmobility issuescountrymonkeyswildlifeexcursionstide
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This resort is clean, grounds are well-kept., My room was fine, not overly luxurious, but certainly more than acceptable. Staff (and guests) are friendly. Food is O.K. but not great. Entertainment at night is pretty lame, except for the live band one night who were very good. I took excursions every day. Long bus trips over bad roads, but the tour guides were knowledgeable, especially Julio. Hikes through the rain forests are memorable, worthwhile, and also physically demanding
As noted by others, this resort is situated on a steep hill, Shuttle buses run frequently, important for anyone with a mobility problem.
There seems to be no mechanism in place for currency exchange. Breaking U.S. $20's into smaller bills required dealing with the bartenders, rather than front desk staff.
The resort location is spectacular, weather perfect.
Making reservations for the a la carte restaurants is not easy. I don't know why.
I can recommend this resort to anyone who wants a nice stay in beatiful surroundings with superb weather.

Room Tip: Room 125 is in the highest spot on the property, and very quiet. Nice view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My stay at Allegro Papagayo was wonderful. Rooms updated, clean with hot water on demand with good pressure. Staff was very friendly and competent. Food at a la carte very tasty and presentation eye pleasing. Buffet was always clean, replenished and had a variety of many foods to choose from. Nice thing about the buffet was that you were shown to a table. No roaming around trying to find a place that wasn't taken.

Beach long and great for walking. Water is down at tide but that is nature. Very calm and somewhat warm at ankle depth but refreshing when deeper. Monkeys to come, both white faced and howlers. People feed them despite the sign. I wouldn't encourage this because it will make them loose their need to forage and eventually someone will get bit. It makes for a great photo opt but at the expense of who? A flock of parrots fly over daily at about 4p.m.

I did the excursion to Nicaragua which was great. David was our guide and he was very pleasant, extremely informative and easy to understand. It's a long day and an early start but well worth it. Buy the honey at the market, usually sold by someone walking around. $1 will get you a beer bottle size and it is great. Coffee excellent also.

Trip to Playa Blanca (the free boat shuttle) was really good. You have a simple lunch and can roam the beach with white sand. They set up a bar and restrooms are clean. Watch out for the White Throated Magpie Jays. These are the beautiful blue birds. Very smart and know how to get a free lunch. Unattended plates become theirs and will take off with a full hot dog.

I didn't use the shuttle which runs frequently up and down the steep hill. Very steep it is so ladies I'm sorry to say go for flats. The 'sex in the city' heels have to stay at home.

I have travelled extensively and would recommend this resort. Good value for your travel dollar.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank tami p
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Party of 4 went down, not sure what to expect. But was blown away by amazement. Costa Rica is beautiful in every sense. The land, people, food and attractions.

Our resort was great, rooms were OK, but who cares about the rooms when it's the outdoors you came for! You get woken up by howler monkey's every morning, February was a great hot month, rained one day in two wks. Pool wonderful, great swim up bar.

The hill from the rooms to the pool and restaurants can be challenging for some, but they have 2 shuttle buses that run every couple of minutes. And the pick up spots have water towers with cups while you wait. No big deal. The food was always great and we never made one dinner reso while we were there. We always make friends with the staff so they would just let us in whenever we wanted. That's the key to a great vacation, make friends with everyone, we never waited for tables,drinks or towels. These ppl are so great,if you are great to them, like anywhere in the world.

We did every major trip there was. The 2day trip to Arenal Volcano which will be in my heart for a life time! Zip lines, humming birds,hot springs, volcano, a terrifying bus ride and beautiful local scenery.That tour is so action packed you need two days after to recover. We went to Nicaragua, which is very different from Costa Rica. I'm glad i saw it,but once was enough. The adventure tour was defiantly an adventure! Tubing down their rapids was horrifying and a great adrenaline rush.
We rented a nice jeep and went to Coco Beach (party place and full of shopping and restaurants) And also to Tamarindo which is nicer then Coco, better restaurants and higher end shopping. Both fantastic stops and not far from each other. There are local grocery stores that look just like ours in case you need something.

Costa Rica is fantastic, this resort is a bit smaller and maybe not super fancy. It is near the town but you could not walk there. We loved it because of the staff and my great travel buddies.

Room Tip: Learn the staff's names and make friends, you'll never wait for anything!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cherish m
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Well.. just returned from the Allegro Papagayo.... PURA VIDA!!!
We had a great stay.. the staff there work very hard to make sure you do! Jimmy in the restaurant; Christian, Johnny, Oscar, Alex in the bar; Stanley, Arthuro and friends in the fun club..to name just a few..
WE are a group of 12 who have been travelling together for several years, to many southern destinations.... so...

Food : yes... rice and beans every meal.... because it is a traditional food!! But there are lots of other foods as well...chicken... and fish... and beef... and pork... and corn on the cob, and fettuccini, and ice cream.... and.. and... lots of food, a good variety... better that many places we've been!
If you are there for a special occasion of any kind.. talk to Jimmy or a waiter about a meal on the beach. We made special arrangements and had a beautiful personalized meal by "Chef Puma" served by Jimmy... EXCELLENT!! served with candle light and torch lit pathways and white linens, we enjoyed unlimited bottled wine or other drinks, Grilled shrimp, Steak and Chicken , Not one person finished their meal.. extra cost, but so worth it. .... amazing.

Pool: Very nice... older with some cracks.. and did get some leaves in but not dirty at all. (the leaves were brought in by the beautiful coastal breeze)
Activies: great staff to keep people entertained... good length of beach to walk on.. can snorkel, kayak, lots of exursions out of resort. nice that they left the volleyball in the pool for guests so there often a game on. Great water aerobics
Bar: good... lots of variety, great staff. Excellent frozen drinks. Bar tenders would make whatever
Disco: yes, quiet, but we have rarely found a good one! Music was good.
Rooms: not fancy, but comfortable and clean.. we had a beautiful view without any extra cost. did hear some complaints about noisy air conditioning.. we turned ours off at night anyway.
Location: a bit remote - 45 minutes by taxi to nearest town (but 15 minutes by boat) we did find a restaurant who would've paid our taxi fare to go to town.. Papagao Seafood.. great food too.
Lots of excursions offered to area attractions, all least 4-5 hours long, even the trip to the Beach club
All in all. Yes. Go. But please, if you do feed the monkeys or iguanas, please feed them fruit not French fries!

Room Tip: we were in building 7, second floor.. great view and didn't take a shuttle, but we enjoy a bit of a walk.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank joan c
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed at this so called resort WE were misled the whole way. Let me start be saying don't waste your time or money. The rooms were very dated and we asked for a King bed and guess what we didnt get it. The room be stayed in was 733 and we complained on Saturday when we arrived that phone didn't work so we hiked the hill to the lobby everyday to tell them and they said they would send someone to look at it. It was Wednesday before they told us the room phone was unrepairable. Then the airconditioner did not work for 3 nights and when it did large puddles of water were on the floor. Now let me get to the food -- RICE and BEANS really for every meal. I was expecting more way more. Chicken was every night for 7 nights but was usually gone before we got in to eat because let me remind you they close at 9pm. The pool was very dirty and when i rested against the wall my bathing suit was black....new bathing suit might i add and it won't come out. Then there is the so called spa day. What a joke that was small 12x8 room with two beds and a shower in the corner. The lights were not dimmed and there was NO MUSIC playing at all. The women that gave me the massage stayed in the room when i got in the shower and the shower was a glass shower. Horrible experience and a WASTE of money.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank amanda664
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear amanda664,
I am truly sorry that your experience at Allegro Papagayo did not meet your expectations, and I will contact you directly via TripAdvisor today to discuss your stay. .
I addressed your review with our maintenance and housekeeping teams, as the lack of service you experienced is unacceptable. Regarding the special bed request, deluxe rooms are equipped with either two queen beds or one king size bed. We wish we could accommodate all requests, but unfortunately this is not a guarantee. We will look in to making this clearer in the description of our accommodations online and through the reservation process.
Additionally, I’ve discussed your feedback about the cuisine with our executive chef. We do offer a wide variety of food at the Buffet, including carving stations, a gourmet salad bar, omelet station, and varied desserts, in addition to our two a la carte restaurants: La Cantina and La Tratoria, which are typically very popular among our guests. Our restaurants do close at 9:30 p.m.; however we do encourage guests to try our Snack bar that is always open until 1: 00 a.m.
I'm surprised by your comments regarding the pool, as our staff follows strict cleaning procedures to keep them in top condition and it is always maintained throughout the day. I reviewed this with our maintenance department as well.
I also checked-in with the spa manager regarding your experience, and I assure you this will not happen again.