“Outstanding Value & Gorgeous Surroundings”
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Calgary, Canada
“Outstanding Value & Gorgeous Surroundings”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Our money went far with this vacation. Lovely resort on a terraced hill with beautiful ocean or garden views. Food was delicious and the hotel staff was very friendly and welcoming. My only complaints are that we did not receive two wake-up calls, and the bathrooms were fairly run down and not cleaned very well by the housekeeping staff. However, we spent most of our time doing day trips exploring the beauty Costa Rica has to offer, compared to most other sunny destinations. Gorgeous black sand beach to walk on for miles with low and high tides everyday. This is a fantastic vacation destination if you are fine with an older, outdated hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AndreaCalgary_Canada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Polish first
Champlin, Minnesota
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I am a Flight Attendant for Delta Connection and have always found your recommendation and help to travels spot on. Even as a experienced traveler we all run into problems and need help and information. I was not expecting a four star experience but the problems with the resort are MASSIVE!

Myself and three other flight attendants decided on a quick trip to Costa Rico. the Occidental Allegro Papagay was in our price range. We arrived on 3/17 I had called the day before to make sure they had availability and did give them my credit card number. The phone connection was pretty bad, but felt things were going to work out.

When we arrived at the resort the lady at the desk said she was the person I had talk to on the phone an it was just her second day on the job. That she would get a manager to help me. The manager came out, said he would give us a "special deal" and we paid for two people for two nights. The receipt they gave me does not have an American dollar amount on it but does say it is for 108,557,4. Pogo walk in 2 pax/2 noches. We asked if we could have an option for a third night if possible and was told no problem just come up to the front desk on third day if we were going to stay the additional night and pay for it.

We stayed in room 1111, which was on the ground floor. The siding glass door did not lock, in fact it look as if a crow bar been taken to it. I called the front desk and they said they send maintenance down to take a look at it. Four hours later, we wedged a chair into the door slide and went back up to the office. We complained about the security of the room and were told they send a maintenance man out the next day. Needless to say we never saw him however the chair work well in securing the room. However, do not buy the wireless internet for $25 as it is not reliable. I'm pretty sure there router/server cannot handle the volume. The wireless works in the morning but by 9am you get bumped off continiously, later at around 9pm you can use it again, until they shut it off at 11pm. The pool generally always has stuff floating in it and sand in the bottom. It kind of nasty. The room is bare bones, the pillow are about 1/2 inch thick at most. We had bugs crawling thru the room on the last morning. The other flight attendants had someone open their room safe. When we were checking in we overheard at least three other guest that were leaving saying they had had stuff taken from their rooms. We did have a pair of $200 sunglasses leave the room when we went to breakfast when we asked about it we were pretty much told we probably misplaced them. We also brought most of our valuables with us as when we were checking in their was a group leaving that was complaining about the many valuable items that seemed to walk out of their rooms. We honestly spent very little time in our room and were enjoying ourselves with our co-workers.

On the morning of the third day we decided to stay the third day despite the door issue. We went up to the office and paid for a third night, that receipt is dates 3/19 says Extension 1 hoche 102, 354,2 under that it says $198. We then went on with our day on a zip line tour. We came back later that night an our door keys did not work, we figured that they forgot to rekey the room and took the shuttle back up the mountain to get our room keys re-keyed. I also wanted to reserve a taxi in the morning to take us to the airport. When I had ask that morning to reserve a taxi the front desk told us to just show up at the front desk and they call one for us if one wasn't already there. Since we needed to leave around 5:30, I knew that would not fly but decided to wait until I could talk to a manager. So up we went to the office figuring to kill two birds with one stone. At the front desk however, we were told that we had not paid for the third night and that we need yet to pay for it. I promptly pulled out my receipts and showed that I had paid for three nights. I was then told that the employee that checked us in on the first night had not charged us the correct amount an that we had only paid for one night. I told them as my receipt clearly stated 2pax/2noches that even if the employee had charged us incorrectly I had still paid and did not feel as I needed to pay for another night, and would not be paying for a fourth night. The front desk then told us that if we did not pay for an additional night we would have to find another hotel and make arrangement to get our personnel items. At this point I asked for the manager. This was about 6:30-7pm and it was already dark out. The Manager was not in but the Assistant Manager came out and explained that an employee had made a mistake. Again, I stated that I obviously had receipts proving that I had paid an that the employee mistake should taken up with Occidental not me. He then told me he give me a "deal" went into the office and came back and told me he was giving us 10% off. At which point I just got mad. I told him that since I had little choice at this time I would pay for the additional night with my Chase Visa and I would then be disputing the charges. That his offer of 10% off was a insult. They then wrote up an incorrect charge then cancelled it, then wrote up a new charge slip of which the receipt reads 3/19 Poga noch extra $178.2 92,118,71 T.C. Tarifu autorizeda pro Agustin. I have just begun disputing the charges and Chase Visa and I are even more confused. On 3/17 I was charged 216.93 on 3/19 I was charged 204.54 and 183.20. The receipts I have are for 198 & 178.2 which is about five to six dollars more than what is on the receipt. Now I would normally think this was a foreign transaction fee but I have those listed as well on my card of $5.49, $6.50 and $6.13.

The Resort can seem to figure out thier rates wha they tell you they are charging and what they write on the receipt is completely different than what shows up on your accounts. The front desk is obviously incompetitent and the management does not seem to understand that customers are not responsible for their mistakes. I am disputing these charges. I will up date what happens.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank 724PatR

Travelers are raving about these Gulf of Papagayo hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2012

The first thing to say is please remember this is a 3 star resort, this is not the Four Seasons. you are paying 3 star rates not Four Season Rates. Having said that there is definite room for improvement and way better all inclusive resorts out there than this one in the moderate price range.
We went March 17, 2012 thru March 22, 2012, Traveling couple.

Packing Tips: Ladies don't bring heels, just flats, and don't forget the water-shoes. It is extremely casual. Its way too hot, bring sundresses,shorts, tanks, swimsuits.
Gentlemen: pack shorts, tanks, sandals, water-shoes, swim trunks. forget the long pants for the restaurants its to darn hot!

1) Hillside is steep. Not horrible, but could be difficult for older people. There is no fitness center. I guess they figure the hills are the workout. (ha Ha) The spa is a joke, its tiny. Internet access not that strong of a signal thru out the property. Possibly the lobby might have been better for internet,but we never bothered to check there.
Also this resort is mainly geared towards couples.
Resort doesn't seem to have a lot to do for little children.
Singles unless traveling with a group would be bored.

2 ) We stayed in BLDG #11 room#1121, great bldg because it is very close to all the main activities, pool, shows, disco and beach. you can take shuttle to lobby if needed. The room although we requested a king bed we got two double beds. The safe wasn't working, they came fixed it. But we never used it from that time on. Our ceiling in our room was 15 feet high. The A/C was not working,therefore the room was a SWEAT-BOX total SAUNA! it was 97/98F Degrees everyday and nights were not much cooler. However it was cooler outside than in our room. We wrote in Spanish and left a tip for the maid to leave extra towels, she did but only that one day. The maid is only allowed to fill the mini-bar in the room once every three days! that is insane. Overall the room was clean. I've read a lot of reviews regarding the shower. water pressure was great!, drainage was great. they should however have a shower curtain liner and that would help prevent some water splashing thru the rest of bathroom. A fan in the bathroom would have been nice too. We brought a mini-clock,none in the room. They did provide us with a fruit platter the first day. it was nice, I had them take it away the next day. after returning from dancing and having fun at night we saw a ton of tiny bugs on the dresser. I sprayed them with bug spray and that was it. I never saw them again. I believe it was from the fruit plate.

3 ) The beach was okay, but the black sand is way too hot. The water was murky.
The private beach they take you by boat was okay nothing great, a lot of seashells broken hurts your feet if you don't wear the water-shoes. There were two areas with distinct bee problems, one at the private beach thru the wooded area to the bathrooms and on the black sand beach by the water spouts to wash off your feet. No other real bug problem to speak of anywhere else. The birds were a problem in the buffet. you can't put your food down and walk away they help themselves, its annoying!

4) The shows were okay, nothing really great.

5) The food choices were horrible. Not a good selection of food.

6) The service in the restaurant and pool areas were great for the most part. The service on the beach was none. They were a few local peddlers that were trying to sell their goods on the beach, it was a little annoying but not as horrible like the Dominican republic or Jamaica.
Alejandro was a great waiter and bartender, most helpful and attentive. He would get us another drink before we asked for it.

7)The Mexican and Italian restaurants were okay, not really great menu items/choices. it was not what it could have been, ambiance in both restaurants were not that great and the menu's were not well written or appetizing or appealing to the guests eye.

8) Was also somewhat disappointed to not see Costa Rican food or fresh Costa Rica mango's anywhere throughout the stay for the buffet, snack bar or the two specialty restaurants. They seemed to be more focused on Mexican Food for the most part.

9) We took surf lessons from Charlies adventure (located by the pool), they took us to Tamarindo Beach south,it was awesome. Eddie was our guide. He was helpful and interesting to talk to you.
TIP: (stay away from snorkeling trips and fishing trips if there is red tide, water is murky ask first or you will lose your money at the Charlie Adventures.)

10) Book-it.com reserved round-trip transfers, I would NEVER DO THAT AGAIN, the shuttle picked us up at 8:55am to catch a 1:47pm flight. We were at airport 4 1/2 hours prior to flight,not necessary. we told the company and they blamed BOOK-IT.com. It was so annoying they cut our vacation short, we could have stayed a little longer and could have left for airport at 11:15, airport is close to resort, roughly about 15-25minutes.

We overall had a great time, because we are people like that, we can have fun anywhere. We met great people from Canada, the mid-west, etc. When all is said an done, we had fun, but we would not return to this resort, there are better all inclusive resorts around than this one. they cut too many corners especially where it matters.

Room Tip: Take Building # 11, it is the closest to all the action. it looks out at the pool.
2 Thank honestnewyorker
Calgary
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed in Building 1 Room 232, lovely view with small balcony. On arrival, there was no one to take us up to our room, they shuttled only from the lobby. So up 3 flights of stairs we went. Room was fairly clean. In the fridge was 2 bottles of water along with 2 bottle fruitopia. Never restocked. One each of rum, gin and vodka. We had to buy coke up at the lobby which was a little pricey for such a small bottle. Keep your water bottles as they have coolers around the resort. Coffee machine didn't work, so hubby walked down the first few mornings to get coffee for us. There is as stated a cost for the use of the safe, so make sure you get the instructions at check in. One couple had money stolen out of their room as they couldn't get their safe to work. Advised the front desk, they just checked to see who had entered the room, but did nothing. The couple had to go into Liberia to report the incident to the police. Cleaning in the bathroom needs to be looked at and only got 1 facecloth. Near the end of our week, housekeeping took our tip but didn't make the bed or clean. Some of the buildings have been renovated, but not this one. Air conditioning didn't work well and sounded like a jet engine. The staff at the buffet and a la carts were wonderful, very helpful. Food was good. The pool isn't large and really needed cleaning. They need to skim the pool 3-4 times a day. There were monkeys at the beach which everyone fed bananas and watermelon, they took the food gently out of your hands, also cups of water. Hardly anyone laid on the beach as the black sand is very hot. Watch when going in the water as one guest was bitten by something and had 3 stitches. (onsite doctor is in building 15) Go to Cocoa Beach if you want to do any shopping, don't wait to get anything at the airport as there is only a few shops. All in all, it was okay. The weather was between 30 - 35 everyday so that was a huge plus. We will go back but not to this resort.

1 Thank Holidaygal
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Before heading to Costa Rica I decided to read some of the reviews posted and view the pictures also. I slowly was a little concerned about some of the comments made but decided that we all are different and each of us have different opinions and also you can't please all the people all of the time. With this in mind I went hoping for the best but did not expect anything that fantastic. We were there for two weeks!!! Not long enough though. The staff did their best to make our stay enjoyable. The issues we had were minor. Our fridge did not work and we did mention it but it did not get fixed. We did have an issue momentarily with the toilet but maintenance was there in minutes to rectify the problem.
We so enjoyed the food at the buffet and did not bother going to the a la carte. There was something to satisfy everyone I thought unless you are hard to please. We were always welcomed with a smile and our main server Carlos made us feel like family.He would often wave us over to sit down and would quickly get beverages for us and was there in a blink of an eye to take care of whatever we asked with regards to the buffet. The staff was always very polite and gave an atmosphere of happy relaxation that made us feel like we were at home among friends and family.
The towels sometimes were a little long in being replaced in our room as I imagine laundry was trying to keep up with the volume of people.
The biggest dispute I have with Allegro is not the staff or the hotel itself but the many immature students on March break from Nova Scotia with the "S" Trip.. They were often acting in a manner that was shameful and loud.. The staff cannot be held accountable for the actions of people. We were told this was the first time in 3 years they had students show up like they did. The washrooms near the pool had issues because sometimes the toilets did not flush as well as what we are used to and people would just leave them. The pool was being cleaned daily and yes there were things in the water at times but you can't stop the wind from blowing and people leaving straws or cigarette butts to blow into the pool. The staff was constantly walking around trying to clean up. With regards to the walking to the different units I personally was happy for the walk to keep my exercise going as I often ate quite a bit and it helped me burn calories. I am sure it is tough for many but yes they do shuttle you around so have a little patience because the waiting time is short.
We had the most enjoyable time while we were there and plan to return as soon as possible and have already been discussing our plans to go back to the Allegro Papagayo and would recommend it to anyone.

1 Thank BJ H
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was my first all inclusive but not new to traveling. And I am hooked. In fact I will not consider future vacations that are not inclusive of meals. No competition for cabs and time wasted looking for something to eat that isn't over crowded, the food was varied and good, and sure liked the fruit. Even the fussy eaters should be able to find satisfaction. Mexican la-carte was good, but not very Mexican. Italian seemed better but both good for a night each. But the service was good in both. Even buffet service was good, offering to seat and get your drinks. Breakfast omelets made to order were fantastic. Staff didn't always know English very well, but always friendly. My failing, I would love to learn Spanish but language isn't my forte.

I can see why some negative comments about the rooms. They are not 5 star, maybe not even 4 star. I suspect this is a long term maintenance issue. Plus the room service was basic and not always consistent. Sometimes 2 washcloths, sometimes one. Two lamps were missing the lamp switch handles but strong fingers ruled. Patio doors didn't open/close easy and safe didn't work, but they refunded. Minor issues really as the room had the major points of free of bugs, reasonably clean floors, sheets and towels were clean so I would say marginally acceptable. Didn't check the TV, isn't why we came there. Internet was hit or miss but works best in the upper lobby by the bar. We were on the bottom floor of block 10, convenient to get to the pool/beach/restaurants. Some didn't like the walks to the top but we did just for the view.

We did go over to the Grand version across the way. Although much nicer and better kept, it was sterile. Not one person said hi, and everyone seemed in their own little groups or in their own world. The Grand is the place to go if you like to bring yours pressed cloths to the beach type (I am not) This wasn't the case at the Allegro discussed here as the people mingled and met new acquaintances daily in casual dress and atmosphere. If you are a family middle class social type just looking to wind down in the sun, Allegro is the place.

Never did the disco, my wife and I don't drink alcohol much, enjoying early retirement types. But we saw a wide range of ages from 5 to 75. Nor did we partake in evening entertainment much but suspect it was basic. But did do the not well advertised cooking demo. It was a simple lesson in making cheese stuffed tortilla. They should expand that as seeing a pro doing it once is better than a book.

Beach is mostly black sand, which means wear shoes/sandals to where it gets moist is a good idea. But the beach itself is nice, not too many rocks we could find and no undertow. If you have children or not a good swimmer, this is safer than most beaches. And a good early morning walk especially if the tide is out especially to the left when leaving the pool area to the beach.

If you want to see monkeys and Iguana, no need for a tour. I almost stepped on an Iguana. They are all over the place. Birds too, watch your lunch until consumed or they will try to steal it. This didn't bother us much, in fact fascinated us they would come so close.

The layout was good and easy to pick up on, restaurants easy enough to find as was the pool and bar. I am visually impaired and was worried about the stairs, as they have stairs. But not an issue, just took my time and preferred the early mornings to the evenings.

We took the river tour, it was good and still amazed at how much life is abundant along its shores, and really, everywhere we went there was something somewhere. Was going to do the Arenal Volcano tour but got lazy and soaked up the sun. But others said it was good. Lots of tours for younger and the older.

Security didn't seem to be an issue. The hotel is more or less remote from large population areas, gated and they do have guards that patrol. Bumped into them occasionally when getting water, and good to see them about. Good if you like being near lots of wildlife, bad if you like the shop until you drop vacation. Shopping at Coco beach was a waste of time, silly prices and low selections. Tourist trap for sure. If buying coffee to take home, head to the grocery store where it is 1/3rd the price. Some of the bars are good, pick one with others in it there are a few that are busy and serve well by the beach.

If you want to shop, go to Liberia proper. People talked of malls but we didn't go. I rather soak the sun. as to me shopping isn't a vacation.

Allegro is the place you will like or not, depending on what you expect. But I suspect we might be back next year. If we do, will try the upgraded rooms as we booked this one on a last minute deal as just the basic room.

4 Thank dave777Calgary
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Great service! Fabulous pool! Abundant monkeys and wildlife! Located on a steep hillside but that was part of the charm that offered a magnificent view. The hotel staff was absolutely wonderful and fantastic with kids! I have read some bad reviews but it all depends on what you want and like. We are accustomed to five star resorts and loved every aspect of Allegro Papagayo, especially the staff! Thank you everybody! We'll be back!

Room Tip: Rent a car to visit this magnificent country. Excursions are expensive and do not offer the freedom...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family