“Tours Papagayo - Amazing experience!”
Review of Tours Papagayo

Tours Papagayo
Ranked #19 of 32 Tours in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Jose Cruz with Tours Papagayo were absoluately amazing. The service and prices were great. Very informative and they make you feel like part of the family during the tour Jose Mar was our guide on the ATV tour and he surpassed service. Being in a foregin country you are in the hands of your tour guide and tour company - I always felts safe and highly recommend them. The service was excellent and when we go back we will make sure to get in touch again. Thanks you Jose and company!! - Karla & Elizabeth

2  Thank Elizabeth D
There are newer reviews for Tours Papagayo

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We met Johnny D as he approached us walking on the beach on Playa de Coco. The fact that he referred to himself in the 3rd person should have been our first clue to keep walking. He had a brochure in his hand that he would not let me see. He kept wiping his brow and seemed exhausted, but like an interesting character. He offered us the Palo Verde National Park Jungle boat tour which was the exact tour we were looking for. We were excited to ride down the river to see crocodiles and white faced monkeys.He then asked us to pay for the tour up front with cash and offered to go to the ATM with us. We may have been suffering from mild heat stroke, so proceeded to follow him to his clipboard on a cement wall and gave him a $50.00 deposit. I think his slightly funny, self absorbed sly sarcasm had us blind to the nasty intent behind the humor. He offered right then and there to ride with us in our car to some other beaches that day.. We would just have to "Take care of Johnny D" by giving him a tip. This phrase was to be repeated a dozen times in the next few days.He was to pick us up at our Condo in Playa Hermosa at 6:30 am the next day. A few minutes later, we walked to the grocery store and saw him buying some groceries immediately after leaving the beach. Oh Oh we thought, he may not actually be a guide? Just a guy who needed $50.00 for food?
That morning at 5am the phone rang waking us up. Johnny D. was cancelling since there were no other people coming on the tour. It would not be worthwhile. He asked my husband where we were since he'd tried to call us all day. My husband said we were on a tour, he wanted to know where and with whom? He wanted to discuss this at 5am on the phone? The following day he appeared on time with his driver McKenzie in a Tourismo van. Whew..we were relieved to learn that he was at least a legitimate tour guide! Without a card, office, brochure, and money focused egotistical persona, we were certain we had been taken. He asked us again where we had been the previous day since he had been attempting to call our Condo all day. We told him we had been on a tour to Miravalles. He seemed upset by this and asked "Why didn't you go with Johnny D"? He then laughed rudely at my error in pronouncing Miravalles Volcano.He didn't offer any help, just apparently enjoyed the error.
He proceeded to talk to his driver in Spanish for the next 90 minutes until we got to the Park. He mentioned he had asthma and wiped his face a lot. He didn't ask us one thing about us or what we had done in Costa Rica, or if we were enjoying ourselves? He then asked us what "We knew about Costa Rica." We reported to him like High School students, stating in a capsule what we had learned from our other tour and our previous studying. He must have thought we knew enough....since he offered almost no further information about Costa Rica.Isn't this what a tour guide does? As we approached Palo Verde he joked that there we 400 people waiting at the Park and we would have to wait until 12pm to get onto the river boat.He said, look at my face, "Im not laughing" He said it was because we were 2 minutes late in the morning. Which we weren't. The Palo Verde boat trip was fantastic.The young guide and captain were wonderful. Johnny D sat in the back of the boat with his arm around an old friend he hadn't seen in 9 years, making jokes. Once leaving the park we went to lunch, stopped at a great souvenir shop, ceramic demonstration and the coffee shop at the Do It Center. During this time he mentioned that the souvenir shop accepted Credit Cards so we would have enough cash to "Take Care of Johnny D". Referring to his tip. He said, "Did I tell you that"? I responded, " You've asked for a tip like 10 times. You'd get a lot more if you didn't ask.You worry about money too much." He just stared at me. When we sat down to eat family style, he took his food first never passing or offering a dish. He didn't tell my husband that coffee was available.He spoke to his driver and didn't say one thing to us. He did make us aware that we could have ice cream! That was his one kind gesture.
. At the souvenir shop he handed me a letter opener and said it was for me. Then he argued with the shop owner about who was going to pay for it. I was so embarrassed. At the coffee shop he picked up a small souvenir and asked the owner if he could have it? Then he asked a surfer where he got his sandals and if he could have them?. He told me he had known the young boat guide since he was small and had taken him to school for years.While we watched a ceramic demonstration, I asked the young man if he knew Johnny D. He told me this was the first day he'd met him. I felt embarrassed the whole day going into businesses with this type of unprofessional and dishonest behavior.
At the end of the tour he asked for the second time, if he could drive with us to San Jose the next day to return our rental car to show us how to get around the construction on Rt 1.He would stay with someone in that town. We would just have to "Take care of Johnny D". We politely declined.
We have traveled and taken tours in many countries and never had such an ineffectual tour guide. Thank goodness our other tour with Alex on The Beach Adventures was so excellent in all respects.

6  Thank Karen H
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Today we had our experience with Tours Papagayo and unfortunately we're extremely disappointed. They were extremely disorganized from the beginning. They appeared to have no advance idea of our booking. I was unsure that we even had the correct vendor, however after several calls on their part, they honored our coupon, accepted our payment and provided the wave runners. At the conclusion of the rental, the staff was extremely rude, condescending and especially inappropriate with my wife.

3  Thank JimHassard
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We did ATV's and jet skis with this company. Both were excellent! In these types of situations you can really hope you get a good guide and all of ours were excellent.

1  Thank Rick M
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This person promised us a private tour just for me and my husband !! Morning of the tour he called 10 minutes ahead and added a couple.. This was horrible !! Then spent the whole trip trying to justify why he did it.. I spent 30 minutes speaking to him about what the excursion would entail the previous day and one of the wishes was just me and my husband that he agreed to at a obviously higher price he then changed this the morning of!! Never visited what he promised !! And he spoke in such a low voice I never heard anything while on the bus ride.. Would not recommend this !!! I felt deceived I did not get what I was promised !!!

3  Thank Bravetherun