“One of the best vacations ever”
Review of Tours Papagayo

Tours Papagayo
Ranked #19 of 32 Tours in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed December 8, 2011

My partner and I choose Tours Papagayos - JC from on the internet and we could not have been more pleased. Harold was an awesome tour guide, when we mentioned a particular interest in seeing a Macaw or the Howler Monkey, Harold made sure that we saw some. We didn't just see a few Macaws, we saw a huge flock of them in trees next to a very nice cafe. Harold has a great eye and ear for wildlife, he found a huge group of Howlers while we were driving along.
We took an all day trip from Guanacaste to the Arenal region, where we ziplined and then went to the Ecocentre near the volcano. At the Ecocentre we saw the poisonous little red and blue frog, a toucan, two red eyed frogs, a slough, butterflies in all stages and other fascinating native wildlife.
The weather was tough on us, it rained every day. We thought we were in the clear until the 7th zip of the 11 zip zipline adventure and then the sky unloaded. But, we still left with smiles and a great time.
The van was very comfortable, it is definitely a luxury van that we traveled in. We even booked Tours Papagayos - JC for the trip to/from San Jose airport, which is a very long trip, but Harold made the trip more interesting.
Thanks Harold...see you for a mountain bike trip soon.

2  Thank ykbecker

Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was my third visit to Costa Rica. Each time I come here, I have done several tours, so I feel like I've done most of the activities here. On this last trip, we decided to do the ATV tours. I wasn't initially interested, but it was incredible. We had so much fun, that we cancelled one of our other activities to do it again two days later.

The ATV tour is a good mixture of seeing the back roads and trails of Guanacaste. You definitely go places that are inaccessible to cars. It was great to see the wonderful people there in the small villages and pueblos. The locals are so friendly and welcoming when you stop to talk. You also get the chance to see wildlife such as monkeys and iguanas. Our tour guide was also great. He showed us many of the local plants and trees and made us feel safe the entire trip.

Once we were more comfortable with the ATVs, we went on a short ride though the rainforrest. These were very challenging trail, but we got through them safely and had wonderful views. It was great to ride along a creek bed through the dense forrest.

If you are going to Papagayo, definitely us tourspapagayo. Call JC and he will set up a great adventure for you. We have tried other companies, which were good, but this company definitely is the best.

6  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I visited Costa-Rica in October with my boyfriend and a friend of ours. We stayed at Hilton Papagayo for 9 nights. We did a lot of activities during our stay and booked all of them with Tours Papagayo. I wrote several emails to Rebeca from Tours Papagayo with all the questions I had about the tours and she always responded to my emails within a 2 hour timeframe!! We customized some of our tours and they were completely fine with that. They also gave me a price quote for some of the places we wanted to visit that weren't even listed on their website! All our tours, except rafting, were private - that's the best part of it. And the prices they gave us were much better than what other companies were offering.
We did the Arenal Volcano and Baldi tour, Monteverde Cloud Forest, ATV Tour, Horseback Riding and Tenorio River Rafting. Harold was our guide for most of the tours and he was the best guide ever! He was really knowledgeable, intelligent and really funny. We spent so many days together, that we really got used to him. He took us to a really beautiful waterfall on the way to Arenal, the place that is not visited by the tourists. He also stopped at local supermarkets, ice cream and milk shake places where we could taste the real Costa-Rican things.
We also got invited to Tours Papagayo's annual company party at their office. We got to experience a Costa-Rican party. Everybody was really nice there and we knew half of their employees already anyways.
We are planning on returning to Costa-Rica again some time in the future and Tours Papagayo will be the only company that we will do our tours with.

3  Thank spiritualdances
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I contacted Tours Papagayo JC when we got to Costa Rica and they took us on three amazing tours. On the first trip we went ATVing with Fernando and it was spectacular, we got to see the local neighborhoods, agricultural areas and the wooded areas. Fernando pointed out the howler monkeys, different tree species and gave an overview of a typical town square. After that trip we met with Harold who arranged a boat ride down the river for us. That trip was phenomenal, we saw white faced monkeys, blue herons, crocodiles and bats! Harold and our captain Manuel knew every bird, and animal that we saw. Their love and appreciation of nature was contagious. We then had an authentic Costa Rican lunch at a local restaurant that we're still talking about today - it was delicious. The next trip we took with Carlos, that day we split our activities, I went ziplining while the my husband went horseback riding. We both got to do what we wanted and then headed to Thermo Mania for lunch (best fish I've ever had), a dip in the hot springs and to cap off the day a couple's massage. This company listens to what you want and tailors a tour to your wishes! They were fabulous and showed us the true beauty of their country and culture.

2  Thank FarmGirl1103
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We just returned from a great trip to the Guanacaste province of Costa Rica. We scheduled airport transfers and two tours with Tours Papagayo JC because of the positive reviews here on TripAdvisor. Harold was our guide for the week and was super friendly, knowledgeable and very accommodating.

We chose the Borinquen Mega Tour and the Palo Verde River Boat tours. Both of the tours were fantastic and made even better by our guide, Harold, who showed us many local sites en route to our tour destinations. Although listed as half-day tours, they take up most of the day, so just plan on a relaxing afternoon at your hotel when you return.

The Boringuen tour is at a beautiful mountain resort and started with a fun horseback ride filled with amazing views. Midway up the mountain, we switched to zip-lines to cross a river gorge under a large waterfall. The zip-lines were fantastic and ended back at the resort were we had lunch waiting. After lunch we enjoyed the natural hot springs, steam room, mud bath and hot tubs. A nice pool was also available. Our guide, Harold, was with us always and let us go at our own pace while pointing out many interesting things we would have missed without him.

Our second tour a few days later was to Rio Tempisque and the Palo Verde National Park via river boat. Harold was very knowledgeable about the plants and animals and pointed out many interesting species on the tour and during the ride there and back. The river tour was an excellent way to enjoy some of Costa Rica’s rich biological diversity. Traveling through the small towns on the way to the boat let us see some of the rich Costa Rican culture. The lunch after the tour was authentic and delicious.

I could not have imagined achieving the same experience trying to piece these tours together ourselves or to enjoy them fully without a guide and the planning that Tours Papagayo JC offered. If you travel to the area, I highly recommend setting up some tours with Harold and Tours Papagayo JC. Pura Vida!