“Nice Resort but not to explore Belize”

Belizean Dreams Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
San Francisco, CA
“Nice Resort but not to explore Belize”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

This is a very nice resort-style destination which basically means you'll enjoy it if you want a secluded, self-contained retreat with very few tourists and all the amenities. However if you're into the outdoors and are traveling to Belize to explore the country, the natural beauty or even the coral reefs this is not the place to go.

The staff are friendly and helpful but due to the remoteness of the resort, excursions to the Great Blue Hole, Tikal, the (other) blue hole and any other attraction are only available once a week in their tour bus. Even if your lucky enough to get into these excursions they're overly expensive ($100 per person per excursion!) and quite remote (average 2 hour trip each way to the nearest one).

Overall, as I mentioned earlier, the resort itself is great but as a launch pad for exploration it falls short. I should have done my research!

PS If you travel during the rainy season, traveling out of the resort gets even harder due to floods and muddy roads...

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank markaragnos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My friends showed me an absolutely great time. The service is second to none. The accomadations are beautiful, and so is the location. I had no problems getting to and from the resort. I would highly recommend this vacation destination to everyone.
Greg B.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Calgary
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Spacious beach villa was perfect. Spectacular sunrises. Lots of room on the beach. Calm waters to swin in. Great place for either relaxation, cultural tours or water activities.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Van ride from airport was fun and informative as the driver shared stories and information about the area. Staff very helpful in booking tours. Also provided rides into town to get supplies.

Planning to go back soon with friends.

• Stayed October 2008
2 Thank GLRCalgary
Sherwood Park Alberta
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I have traveled to a number of places from alaska to mexico to the bahamas but this will stick out as my all time favorite, The Owners, managers, facility staff, bar tenders, everyone was fantastic, the food at the restaurant was great as well as the service. As for the accomodations I could not believe the villas, just incredible, clean, spacious, simply amazing. We went on several excursions from the resort, fishing caving, snorkeling, massages all arranged by the resort staff who did an awesome job, we visited the local town of Dangriga meeting a few locals and enjoying some of there spirits. Swimming in the pool or off the amazing beach into the ocean was terrific the water temperature did not change avg temp of the ocean was 88 degrees. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a peaceful get away, or an exciting time what ever you want to make it they have it available.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Looking4retirement
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 3, 2009

First off, I LOVE Hopkins. I HIGHLY recommend the area! We have stayed at Belizean Dreams twice. The first time it was owned by a different owner than the second time. We enjoyed our fist stay. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly, the bar to be beautiful and clean, the food to be pretty good, and the villa was clean and beautiful! The second time they had a new owner. The staff was still pretty friendly (but not as much), the bar was okay, but the food was not nearly as good and we found it to be a little pricier, and the villa was not as nice and needed a bit of repairs. I hope they took care of these slight problem and it is now as good as it was the first time we stayed. I would still recommend it, but not as enthusiastically as the first time.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Our trip to Belize was fantastic, and I could not recommend Belizean Dreams any higher. My girlfriend and I booked our rooms through luxurylink.com, which I believe offers lower rates than booking directly. Also, the package included a flower-covered room with complimentary champagne and tropical drink upon arrival, free breakfast every day, and one free dinner.

The whole trip to Belize was amazing and memorable for a number of reasons. First, Belizean dreams was nice enough to send a van to the airport near Dangriga to pick us up, which was good because the "airport" was actually just a gravel path in the middle of an orange grove with a few tents set up at one end -- not exactly cab central. Security was a breeze, though.

Upon arrival at Belizean Dreams, we were presented with a free boat drink and escorted to our room, which was covered in flowers and had a bottle of champage chilling on ice. Aside from the incredible niceness of the staff, the thing that really impressed me was the fact that the resort looks EXACTLY how it does in the pictures on its web site. There's no catch at all. The place is gorgeous. The rooms are very clean, very modern, and very air-conditioned.

From there on out, the trip only got better. After too many Belikens during the day, we slept through regular dinner time and needed to find food outside the resort, so the staff gave us a golf cart to tool around town in. We finally ended up at Chinese restaurant down the road that was surprisingly good. Hopkins shuts down by ten or so, so make sure you eat early. The upshot of this story is that the staff is unbelievably accommodating. Who else lets a Beliken-wielding stranger take the house cart?

Speaking of the staff -- they're amazing. Hopkins pretty much revolves around Ernesto. He's hilarious and makes sure you have a great time. Our last night there, we went out to a great ex-pat bar that I won't name so it doesn't get overrun by people reading this web site and then went to a karaoke place. We got booed off stage. Our host there -- another Belizean Dreams staffer, Tyrone -- joined in the booing but then refused to sing. I'm skeptical of this move, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he too was great to hang out with.

Oh, I forgot, we also survived an earthquake. A 7.1 earthquake threw us out of bed at 2 AM, but the fortress-like bungalows were totally undamaged. So, they're built well.

All in all, here are my recommendations: 1) STAY AT BELIZEAN DREAMS. It's cheaper than Hamanasi and has a better bar set-up. Also, the hotels all run the excursions together, so you're not missing anything. 2) Go on the all-day catamaran ride -- it's nothing but sun, snorkeling, eating, and drinking. 3) Get into the village. We ate at a few restaurants there, and they were good/hilarious. King Cassava was good, as was the Chinese place.

You will not be disappointed in this place. I read the bad reviews before going, and they could not possibly have been any more wrong. I wish I could go back right now.

One word of warning. Do NOT order the French Onion Soup. It is neither French, nor onion, nor soup as humans know it. DO order the fried jacks. They make the little fat kid living inside your heart sing.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fritzadelphia
arizona
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We arrived in Dangriga on June 2nd and as immediately met by our driver, Ernesto from Belizean Dreams. He was a wealth of information and stopped by a local supermarket so we could get snacks for our room. When we arrived at the resort we were so pleased. The grounds and the villas are remarkable! They reminded me sort of a Southern plantation style with columns and stone on the front. Our villa had a wonderful view of the ocean and the pool. The ac worked so well, that we actually had to turn it down a few times. The inside was very clean and nicely decorated. It smelled of cedar and the mahogany wood was so beautiful. We went on two tours while there. I chose the Mayflower Jungle Hike with waterfalls and a swimming hole. It was one of the best hikes I have been on, and I am an avid hiker. My husband had to sit down and take a break midway :). We heard howler monkeys, wood peckers and owls during the hike. We also saw a myan ruins on the hike and coco trees and avocado tree and their local black orchid flowers. We went on the half day snorkeling trip. We had the boat to ourselves and our guide was awesome! It was so beautiful! My favorite site was a white fish with turqouise and yellow on it. The sea life and different fish were outstounding. The weather was perfect. We were literally outside enjoying the grounds, pool or beach the entire time we were there. The beach bar was so lovely. The staff is so friendly and accomodating to all your needs or wants. They made special meals at my request and drinks. We did take the bikes and golf cart into town to try local restraunts, but we preferred the food and environment of the beach bar at the resort. We travel about 6 times a year for pleasure and we have been to many different countries and places around the US and this trip was the best I have ever had. It was perfect.
Frankie Bradshaw

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Luxury Link

2 Thank frankielynn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Coco Plum Island Resort
Almond Beach Resort & Spa
Hopkins Bay Resort
Hopkins Bay Resort
#5 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Belizean Dreams Resort? Share your experiences!